DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

3 hours ago, caley said:

It reminds me of the top-rope stomp that Del Rio et al. used to do where the opponent has to hold himself up in the air waiting for the opponent to stomp him, which was even dumber when the stomper would play to the crowd and the stompee has to hold himself in a prone position for no reason whatsoever

The funny thing is Dragon Lee does that spot too. 

I just watched The Peanut Butter Falcon, a movie about a Down Syndrome kid who breaks out if his retirement home and floats down a river with Shia LeBeouf with Dakota Johnson on their heels so that the kid can go to the Salt Water Redneck’s wrestling school.

I mention because at the end the kid has a match against Jake the Snake with Mick Foley as the ref.

its pretty awesome.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was just scrolling through Facebook and a friend reposted a fundraiser for Tracy Smothers, who apparently has cancer. Anybody else hear about this? 

Yes, cornette talked it about his pod this week. I think most found out at the Bobby Eaton tribute show last week. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Rush and Dragon Lee having to get into and then stand in place waiting for them to both quit fucking around and do their dives was WAY more egregious. It reminded me of Zach Sabre Jr. saying "if someone is going to moonsault you off a balcony, why don't you just move?"

The arm stomp thing is really bad and takes me out of the moment in Shayna’s matches because she does it a lot. In general, there’s way too much standing around while waiting for someone to hit a move these days. It can occasionally be done with dazed selling but most people don’t pull it off. 

The earliest I remember seeing (and hating) this type of thing was people laying/hanging onto a ring rope while someone climbed up the ropes in ECW.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

This might be the sinus pressure causing slight wooziness talking but I just realized that Otis kinda looks like a mix of Val Venis and Ron Jeremy. Not sure if the world is ready for Otis to take the Val Venis gimmick.

Well his ring gear seems to be getting smaller by the week

NXT: singlet

WWE spring 19: singlet that he drops the straps on occasionally 

WWE summer 19: singlet that he drops the straps on every match

WWE fall 19: trunks no singlet 

this week: tiniest pair of trunks that you can fit on a man that size

2020: Naked Midion

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, caley said:

Well his ring gear seems to be getting smaller by the week

NXT: singlet

WWE spring 19: singlet that he drops the straps on occasionally 

WWE summer 19: singlet that he drops the straps on every match

WWE fall 19: trunks no singlet 

this week: tiniest pair of trunks that you can fit on a man that size

2020: Naked Midion

2021: Mideon

Remember when Heyman and Bischoff was first named as head Bookers of Rawc and Smackdown, the internet was in an uproar over what HHH wasn't given head Booker role for on of the brands. He probably knew about NXT going to Cable at the time and wanted no parts of the blame for the other brands if they didn't improve. I'm sure he has as much influence and input as ever but he he knows he wont get criticism that Vince , Bischoff ,Heyman and now Pritchard gets. 

Watching some 90's stuff lately, abd since he was brought up in a roundabout way... Mideon/PIG/Tex Slazenger/Dennis Knight was a truly awful wrestler. There's a match from I think 96 against Fake Diesel where he just completely deadweights Kane on a side slam, and then does it again on what would've been the Jackknife. If Kane wasn't so godamn strong, the dude would've gotten himself killed.

Funny thing is that Henry Godwinn/Shanghai Pierce was actually really godamn good.

• Like 3

If you ever wanted a Wrestler to like something you tweeted, tweet something nice about Rich Swann. I've done that twice, and Su Yung liked both tweets. I assumed it was someone doing a Su Yung tribute gimmick, but no, it's actually her.

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Watching some 90's stuff lately, abd since he was brought up in a roundabout way... Mideon/PIG/Tex Slazenger/Dennis Knight was a truly awful wrestler. There's a match from I think 96 against Fake Diesel where he just completely deadweights Kane on a side slam, and then does it again on what would've been the Jackknife. If Kane wasn't so godamn strong, the dude would've gotten himself killed.

Funny thing is that Henry Godwinn/Shanghai Pierce was actually really godamn good.

This is all true, and I liked watching the Pierce/Slazenger team, but the faces Naked Mideon would make whilst doing his thing always crack me up.

Naked Mideon: one of those gimmicks that is impossible and awkward to explain to non-fans.

- RAF

7 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

This is all true, and I liked watching the Pierce/Slazenger team, but the faces Naked Mideon would make whilst doing his thing always crack me up.

Naked Mideon: one of those gimmicks that is impossible and awkward to explain to non-fans.

- RAF

I think it's pretty hard to explain to fans.

"See, arguably the worst wrestler on the roster was brought back doing a take on the Naked Cowboy thing, but even closer to actually naked, and.... Where are you going?"

• Like 1

Just rewatched Omega vs Moxley from Full Gear (reminder: If you bought it on Fite.tv, it's disappearing tomorrow night). I thought I remembered it well, but it was just the second half of it that had stuck with me. It's actually a really long match, and the early parts of the match before the violence level escalates exponentially are a really good brawl. The running dropkick over the guard rail is insane, but you forget it happened once the real bloodshed kicks in. So is the double footstomp from the stands onto the trashcan, but again, nobody remembers that they did that. And it's strange that they both bled so much, but by the finish it had all stopped, dried and rubbed off. If you wanted to make a WWE-ified PG version with black and white crimson masks, you could show the finish in colour.

Also, there were about 40 mousetraps, I paused it and counted. Not 50 or 60 like Excalibur said, but also more than the 20-30 low estimate some people reckoned. They weren't evenly distributed though, most of them were concentrated on the bit of the board nobody bumped on. Kenny rolled over more moustraps than he landed on.

5 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

- RAF

"So you know how you normally wear a fanny pack over clothes? Well..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/21/2019 at 1:05 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I was just scrolling through Facebook and a friend reposted a fundraiser for Tracy Smothers, who apparently has cancer. Anybody else hear about this? 

Yep, sad. Smothers posted about it early last week and a few of the news sites covered it briefly. He also had a heart attack some time ago but didn't realize he had one.