DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Good for Edge. He got a lot of questions on the podcast after Bryan came back about something similar happening with him, and you could tell he was bummed to explain that they had different injuries so it wasn’t possible. Towards the end of the podcast though, he was talking about doing his own stunts on Vikings and knowing how to work around the injury in a way that made you think this was possible. He’s also been working out with Shemus who has a similar injury.

On the flipside, this absolutely would have been the greatest Royal Rumble surprise return ever.

Here's what the Observer wrote about the NYE special.  And I accidentally put my thoughts in the quote box yet somehow can't get it out of there.

There will be some involvement from WWE when FOX rings in the new year.

It was announced yesterday that  “FOX’s New Year’s Eve with Steve Harvey: Live from Times Square” will include an "exclusive WWE matchup" featuring Roman Reigns. It was also noted that numerous WWE wrestlers will be in attendance.

Further details about the match haven't been revealed.

The New Year's Eve special will be hosted by Harvey and co-hosted by Maria Menounos and former New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. Both Menounos and Gronkowski have appeared for WWE in the past.

The special will air in two parts on New Year's Eve:

Part 1 airs Tuesday, Dec. 31 (8-10 p.m. ET/CT live MT/PT tape-delayed)
Part 2 airs Tuesday, Dec. 31 (11 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. ET live CT/MT/PT tape-delayed)

Musical performances by  LL Cool J featuring DJ Z-Trip, The Chainsmokers, The Lumineers, Florida Georgia Line, The Backstreet Boys, Tyga, and The Killers are advertised, along with appearances by Gordon Ramsay, Will Arnett, and Jenna Dewan. The Village People will also attempt to break the record for the world's largest "YMCA" dance.

I'm giggling at the idea that there'll be a WWE "match"  on the show but considering I'm hosting a NYE party (Seven Dieties help me) I don't know if I'll be having this on for others to see.  I'll DVR it at least.

Edited by RIPPA

23 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Sting still wants the match. I doubt he gets it though. 

I don't either even with the following:

Times to make it were either WrestleMania XXXVII when Sting was thinking about leaving TNA or more likely WrestleMania XXXI when Sting had signed with WWE and it turned out to be The Undertaker's last great year, 2015.

• Like 1

So, I'm watching Rush/Dragon Lee vs Haskins/Williams from ROH TV and, not to single them out because I've seen lots of wrestlers do it in pretty much every company going, but I've decided what my new least favourite spot is.

Haskins is working over Lee's arm, he puts him in various arm-locks and the like and all is good.  Then he gets Lee on his back, manipulates his hand a little bit, still good.  Then he bends Lee's hand underneath him, getting his elbow up at an angle and stomps on his elbow.  Now, the actual stomp on the elbow is fine, looks nasty, but the problem I have with this move is that, in this and many cases, Haskins stops to play to the crowd and Lee just lays there, holding his elbow at this ungodly angle while waiting for Haskins to stomp it (To Lee's credit, he acts like he's trying to move his arm but it's stuck even though there is no earthly reason why he can't just move it out the way).  There's a simple fix, the stomper just has to put his foot on top of the opponent's hand, thereby holding him in place before stomping it.  But 95% of the time I see this spot, the opponent just lays there and lets his opponent stomp on his arm instead of just moving it. 

It reminds me of the top-rope stomp that Del Rio et al. used to do where the opponent has to hold himself up in the air waiting for the opponent to stomp him, which was even dumber when the stomper would play to the crowd and the stompee has to hold himself in a prone position for no reason whatsoever.  There was an easy fix to that one, too, I can't remember who it was I saw do it, but they just stood on their opponents knee, theoretically holding him in place so when the stompee lifted himself up and got stomped, it at least made sense in that he was trying to get out from under his opponent.

So, if you're curious, Caley's least favourite move of the year for the last four years

2019: That elbow stomp thing
2018: In a tag match wrestler 1 grabs his opponent 1 and manuever him so he has his partner (opponent 2) in a headlock, then wrestler 1 dropkicks opponent 1 who DDTs his own partner instead of just, you know, letting go the headlock on his partner!
2017: John Morrison's running knee where he slows down and kind of hits his opponent with the inside of his thigh
2016: That Del Rio double-stomp deal

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, caley said:

2017: John Morrison's running knee where he slows down and kind of hits his opponent with the inside of his thigh

I love that this one was really grinding your gears in '17 when John's been doing that for over a decade. 

General question for everyone that I'll put here since it applies to both NXT and AEW: Is anyone actually watching those picture-in-pictures during the ad breaks? Is it having the desired effect on anyone's viewing, or are most of us just skipping it? 

9 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I love that this one was really grinding your gears in '17 when John's been doing that for over a decade. 

General question for everyone that I'll put here since it applies to both NXT and AEW: Is anyone actually watching those picture-in-pictures during the ad breaks? Is it having the desired effect on anyone's viewing, or are most of us just skipping it? 

When watching AEW live I watch the picture-in-picture.  It doesn't necessarily keep me from tuning out since I usually watch that then NXT on DVR.  But I like them fine enough.  What does annoy me is when somebody's talking and it cuts to commercials.  For example Jericho had Sammy come out and go all Bob Dylan/INXS with the cue card bit.  But as they're about to start it goes to commercial.  That'd be a funny way to implement that if they stuck with it.

For NXT I watch the picture-in-picture and like that I'm watching the whole match.

33 minutes ago, caley said:

Rush/Dragon Lee vs Haskins/Williams from ROH TV

Rush and Dragon Lee having to get into and then stand in place waiting for them to both quit fucking around and do their dives was WAY more egregious. It reminded me of Zach Sabre Jr. saying "if someone is going to moonsault you off a balcony, why don't you just move?"

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

On the former, I was largely checked out on WWE when Morrison was pushed, didn’t get much Lucha Underground as it was happening, so Morrison in Impact was the first time seeing him regularly in quite a while and that spot in question drove me nuts week after week!

On the latter, I almost never watch the PIP during ad breaks.  I need new glasses so watching it on a smaller screen doesn’t really appeal to me but there’s also a certain snooty “If this was really important it’d be on the actual show” attitude I have developed from years of WWE watching where you just know nothing of import is going to happen during commercials that keeps me from really enjoying it.  

3 hours ago, caley said:

It reminds me of the top-rope stomp that Del Rio et al. used to do where the opponent has to hold himself up in the air waiting for the opponent to stomp him, which was even dumber when the stomper would play to the crowd and the stompee has to hold himself in a prone position for no reason whatsoever

The funny thing is Dragon Lee does that spot too. 

I just watched The Peanut Butter Falcon, a movie about a Down Syndrome kid who breaks out if his retirement home and floats down a river with Shia LeBeouf with Dakota Johnson on their heels so that the kid can go to the Salt Water Redneck’s wrestling school.

I mention because at the end the kid has a match against Jake the Snake with Mick Foley as the ref.

its pretty awesome.

• Like 2