DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:48 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Now I'm thinking of Bayley in a bag lady gimmick. Is "homeless person" the only "profession" Titan hasn't had a wrestler use in it? Was the Brooklyn Brawler the closest to that gimmick?

EDIT: Hmmm, they never had a fireman or a surgeon (I think, they did have a dental surgeon). Dr. D was a doctor of bounty hunting. Dr. Death was a doctor of pharmaceutical smuggling. 

I don't know who you would've cast in the role, but the Brooklyn Brawler should've definitely had a tag team partner called the Hoboken Hobo at some point.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 2:48 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Now I'm thinking of Bayley in a bag lady gimmick. Is "homeless person" the only "profession" Titan hasn't had a wrestler use in it? Was the Brooklyn Brawler the closest to that gimmick?

EDIT: Hmmm, they never had a fireman or a surgeon (I think, they did have a dental surgeon). Dr. D was a doctor of bounty hunting. Dr. Death was a doctor of pharmaceutical smuggling. 

I had a character on one of the WWF N64 games with the gimmick Hobo Sexual, kind of a homeless Val Venis.  He had a whole backstory where he was a Rick Rude-esque muscular guy, who put his name and all his money up against my Million Dollar-esque character, lost everything and became a homeless man.  Would have fit in great in the Attitude era!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

A couple of quick thoughts while my students are reviewing for an exam 

- I punted WWE PPVs after Wrestlemania but did a cherry pick catchup and...well...not a lot of great. I think AJ has been slightly better than the talk is. Seth, for all his faults, just works so incredible hard in his matches. It's that weird thing where he's a much better athlete than he is a wrestler. He probably really is very good at Crossfit. The women have really carried the company this past year, even if not everything has been smooth. 

- To that end, are people downgrading last night's main event because Sane got injured and everyone is super weird anytime wrestlers get hurt now? Don't get me wrong. Not a smooth match but they all beat the Hell out of each other and it felt like a genuine hate-filled match. This idea that it's some disaster seems a little much of a stretch. I do think it's time to have a talk that maybe putting the women in these car-crash gimmick matches MIGHT be a bad idea both from execution and for their long-term health. Charlotte, Becky and Banks etc are gonna be walking like Foley in ten years if this keeps escalating

- Related - last PPV of the year and, yeah, the women's "evolution" is a dumb, self-serving marketing thing but 2019 on the whole saw some really great opportunities for the women and high profile spots being given to them. I mean, ending aside, pretty cool that Asuka and Kairi Sane won a PPV main event. 

- Are Bray's puppets babyfaces? They seem pretty terrified of Bray and the Fiend. 

- Wrestlekingdom seems to have less buzz this year. The double main-event tournament really muddles the plot. 

- Does anyone gamble on WWE matches? I'm thinking about betting the house on Ripley on Wednesday. Have less of a feel for Finn and Cole though. Has anyone won or loss big on WWE matches? I feel that I used to have a pretty good feel for the direction of the company but the last few years they've lost the plot. 

- Like most, the bloom has worn off on AEW a bit for me but it's still been a good show week after week, especially with how dire most TV wrestling has been. I do think a two-hour show is probably slightly too long, especially week after week but each show has had more good than bad. I do think this company is going to be here for the long haul so the hyper-minute criticism probably needs to taper off. AEW and Smackdown aren't being cancelled or moved anytime in the foreseeable future. I remember living and dying with WWF and WCW ratings though when I was 18 so I get if it moves your needle though .

- Everything with Scurll is fascinating right now. Ya know - with the British scene being basically dead and the indies in need of stars - there are worse things to do than to be unaffiliated and fill that void. If Scurll can work for NWA and work for ROH and still have flexibility for Japan and British indies - you can both be a very big star and probably make a nice living on your own schedule. 

• Like 1

Primo Colon did an interview and he says he wasn't suspended for a failed drug test but was suspended for "missing a drug test" (I wanna say Paige??? got her suspension this way too)

He said that got notice that he was to come to the States to do the drug test. He asked if he could have it done in Puerto Rico so he could save on the travel. The WWE never responded and two months later he was notified that he was suspended.

In the interview - he said that his deal is up in October 2020

2 hours ago, w. josh said:

Homeless Jimmy. Came out with a shopping cart full of weapons he'd "found in dumpsters." 

Man, XPW was awful.

Don't you disparage the goddamn good name of White Trash Johnny Webb like that. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I forgot about 

Luke-Harper-3.jpg

but I guess that's just another hillbilly.

Harper wasn't a hobo or a hillbilly. He was a truck driver whose truck got stranded in front of the Wyatt compound on his way through Louisiana.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4

On 12/14/2019 at 5:48 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Nikolai Volkoff was homeless.  He still managed to get good seats for every WWF show even before DiBiase bought him.

Jameson looked like a bum but I'm not sure what he was supposed to be.  He also managed to get really good seats.  That might speak more to how poorly the WWF was doing at the time.

Deep South Wrestling had The Bag Lady (Melissa Coates aka Super Genie).

And hobos aren't really homeless.  They're more like home-free.