DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

So Natalya has said she's been contacted about appearing in a sequel to the Wrestler... starring Jason Momoa? 

Do Disney own the rights to The Wrestler by any chance? Are we going to get a Wrestler Cinematic Universe with rival promotions and MONDAY NIGHT WARZ?

• Haha 1

From the new WON (it was specifically talking about TLC but this is the bigger picture)

McMahon’s new philosophy is that the PPV’s are all about network sign-ups, as opposed to the limited PPV business still being done. The belief based on patterns of sign-ups is that they are big the last day of the show, and not before. So unlike ticket sales, which come a month or more in advance, and PPV parties, which get arranged days if not a week plus out, the dynamic is completely different and there is no need to rush anything.

15 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

It's been in my head all fucking day  "Lucha Bros  Mexican, Ciero Miero Meet us in the ring"   All day long 

Thanks a lot you fucker.  This is the wrestling equivalent of getting rickrolled.  ?

Also, I think it's "MEXI-KINGS"

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

Can AEW afford Jim Johnston? Because AEW should shell out some cash for Jim Johnston. 

Cody and Page have adequate entrance music, but the rest of it is straight booty. 

• Like 4

Corbin is lucky Vince is senile and at that stage where he's very suggestive. I'm not under any illusion that if Seth Rollins came around 20 years ago he'd have a carpenter gimmick, but because he's attentive and was lucky that he was part of the shield he was given everything. Despite. maybe 50 other people on the roster being better than him.

The ironic love for Corbin says it all about WWE in 2019.

Edited by Rehabilitated Rick
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Corbin is lucky Vince is senile and at that stage where he's very suggestive. I'm not under any illusion that if Seth Rollins came around 20 years ago he'd have a carpenter gimmick, but because he's attentive and was lucky that he was part of the shield he was given everything. Despite. maybe 50 other people on the roster being better than him.

The ironic love for Corbin says it all about WWE in 2019.

I genuinely don't get the people that say "if you don't like him, then Corbin is doing his job as a heel".

Because no, if he was doing his job, I'd be watching Smackdown right now.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

I genuinely don't get the people that say "if you don't like him, then Corbin is doing his job as a heel".

Because no, if he was doing his job, I'd be watching Smackdown right now.

Is Corbin really the issue or is shitty writing the problem? Corbin was pretty easy to watch and enjoy in NXT. In reality he has only improved so I find it weird to place the blame purely on him.

• Like 1

I've got to thinking tonight that Rollins - I followed him in ROH, I've seen maybe every single big match of his. He has NOTHING, on Timothy Thatcher. Nothing, on Oney Lorcen (terrible name but whatever). I do think that in WWE 2019, you have to be in the right place at the right time. The prospect of CM Punk coming in on a WWE fringe program (and absolutely decimating the programming) is cool but will not change anything - Imaging having a returning star coming back to shit on YOUR product and that is the difference you wanted? I might get some blowback from this, but I do think WWE has listened too much to this fans over the past 10 years. Since Cena, Vince has been looking over his shoulder. He cannot commit to anyone. Reigns was RIGHT there. Reigns is very good. Amazing actually. Better than Cena in 2005. But I do think OUR (IWC assholes that moan and complain) have made such a large impact that even Vince is questioning himself. Wednesdays are the hardcore nights. And there's less than 2 million people watching those shows.

I do think wrestling is going to die in the next ten years. It's going to break my heart. It's my escape. But Vince accelerated this. Maybe he wants it to implode in itself?

Edited by Rehabilitated Rick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Is Corbin really the issue or is shitty writing the problem? Corbin was pretty easy to watch and enjoy in NXT. In reality he has only improved so I find it weird to place the blame purely on him.

I think a strong case could be made that a good majority of the roster has been failed by the current system of writing and creative direction.

I genuinely do not think that Corbin is one of them.

I thought the in-ring aspect of the recent series with Chad Gable was great, but midcard gatekeeper heel seems like it should be his place instead of this endless feud with Roman. His presence on the mic, his presence at projecting being a top heel, it just comes off as not being there, at least to me. This really does feel like the absolutely best of what he is capable of on the mic.

To use other '80s regional examples, he's Florida Heavyweight Champion Jesse Barr and Pacific Northwest Champion Mean Mike Miller, guys who are perfectly adequate but if they are the main event heel in the territory, it's only because there were literally no other options and the territory is on the decline.

If he was a manager in 1986 Jim Crockett Promotions, he would be Paul Jones.

To use a more recent example, his current push reminds me of every time they would try to push "serious heel" Val Venis during the Attitude Era, or that few weeks where they had heel Al Snow feuding with The Rock, except for some reason Vince seems more stubborn about forcing this one.

10 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

I do think wrestling is going to die in the next ten years. It's going to break my heart. It's my escape. But Vince accelerated this. Maybe he wants it to implode in itself?

Wrestling isn't dying.  TV is dying.  Comparatively, wrestling is drawing the same amount of viewers in 2005 as it is now.  The only thing bucking the trend is actual real sports.    

3 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Baron Corbin and Dolph Ziggler are to 2019 WWE what Brian Adias and Al Madril were to 1987 World Class. They may be heels targeting top faces but people are apathetic about them to the point where they don't even really want to pay money or give time to watching them get their asses kicked.

Truer words never spoken...as a kid growing up in 80s Dallas, we went from the Birds, to Dynamic Duo...to Brian Adias and Al Madril.

Corbin was perfect in NXT going toe-to-toe with the new "Indy darling" and telling them to get in line or go back to ROH.

He needed another 18-24 months of working down there before coming up as the Nash to Miz/Ziggler's midcard HBK.

It doesn't help that the roster is so bloated with talent that guys like Drew Mc are floating around aimlessly or Ciampa refuses to work Raw/SD.

I've said for a few years now that if I was an "Indy" guy then I would sign for a couple of years of NXT only, pump up my own brand, & then head back into the world with and extra 50% on my booking fee.

That or take up a trainer role at the PC because unless Vince & Hunter sit down with a month by month breakdown of the story they have for me leading up to a big Mania match (with eclverything in sitting and under my own creative control) then I'm just not interested.