DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

In a company full of MOVEZ~! guys, the storyteller stands out as unique. Although it's not entirely fair to say they're all spot monkeys as such. But Nick Jackson (amongst others) seems like a guy who, right when you think he's maturing as a worker and learning to slow down and sell, to make less mean more, the next thing you know he's getting sucked into a wham bam spotfest style all over again.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Cody's ringwork deserves a mention too, he is by no means as skilled as his brother, (like who is?), but he has gotten better and better at working a good match. No, he ain't Misawa by any means, but he's getting the story-telling aspects down pat. I agree that he had a stellar 2019.

He’s pretty close to Dusty in terms ring skill. Who was more showman, than hold for hold wrestler.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

45 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Even in WWE, I always found Cody's work solid. Getting out of that bubble and trying new things has elevated him beyond that. Weird how not being coached to wrestle the same as everyone else on the card makes you stand out. 

It's funny because I still remember when he was dismissively referred to as CAWdy Rhodes because of how bland he was. That he's now what he is in 2019 is probably the biggest indictment of the modern WWE system that there is. There might be a bigger one, but others would have to chime in on that. 

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It's funny because I still remember when he was dismissively referred to as CAWdy Rhodes because of how bland he was. That he's now what he is in 2019 is probably the biggest indictment of the modern WWE system that there is. There might be a bigger one, but others would have to chime in on that. 

The weird thing is- you can make an argument that Cody Rhodes isn't even the biggest indictment of the modern WWE system on the AEW roster.

At least Cody was always notably good at working in that late 2000s-early 2010s WWE style, with that run where he was one of the few generic WWE trained guys who always seemed to find a spot on the Wrestlemania card when getting a Mania match meant you MATTERED that year. Even if he seemed bland and was the same as everyone else, there was a good chance that Cody was going to break out one of these days and become something special. 

Jake Hager, on the other hand? If you could pick a list of what you wanted the next top star in WWE to have in 2007, Hager would have ticked every single box on the list. The fact that he turned out to be forgettable and just another guy was probably a bigger indictment of the style than Cody not making it in the WWE was. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Juice Robinson is a strong indictment of the system as well. And a much stronger argument for getting the fuck out of it if they aren't using you.

I wonder what he makes in a year compared to what he'd be making in WWE which would probably be around $500,000 but that's before travel/hotel expenses and obviously far more dates.

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Even in WWE, I always found Cody's work solid. Getting out of that bubble and trying new things has elevated him beyond that. Weird how not being coached to wrestle the same as everyone else on the card makes you stand out. 

It took a while but he's found his footing inring wise. Some of his matches in New Japan felt like he was trying to fit the your generic early 10's style into a modern New Japan style match. His matches felt stretched out to long like a HHH WrestleMania where he out going long because he feels he has too. Cody is great now.

Ryan Satin felt the need to state that he was not employed by WWE but FOX only. It dont care either way whether or not he's employed by WWE but I see tons of people giving him shit for softening up on WWE in the past few months. What's does he have to prove to these sharks on Wrestling Twitter when he is nicely employed my bc one of the top tv networks. He may not the a WWE employee but he's assigned to a show that is closely associated with the WWE. What should people expect and why should he care what these guys this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Juice Robinson is a strong indictment of the system as well. And a much stronger argument for getting the fuck out of it if they aren't using you.

I wonder what he makes in a year compared to what he'd be making in WWE which would probably be around $500,000 but that's before travel/hotel expenses and obviously far more dates.

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Enough that he turned them down when they tried to bring him back, and turned down AEW to stay in NJPW.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Infinit said:

When was the last time The Ascension wrestled a match or was on tv?

They've reached JTG territory now, where the company has forgotten they're still employed. Same goes for Epico and Primo.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

30 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Let’s wait for Hager to have an actual match in AEW before we indict the WWE system for his shortcomings. He was no prize in Lucha Underground either and that was with judicious editing.

Honestly, I'd account for that for why I claim Hager's an example for it: Booking and development are two different things.

If it's going to indict the whole system, I'd sooner use as an indictment "on paper, this guy was a blue-chip prospect and ended up forgettable" over a Cody/Juice Robinson where it was "this guy was good, and it was obvious they were good even if WWE didn't book them as superstars." 

In the latter case, it was an example of them being lost in the shuffle and it's not a fault of development (CJ Parker was talented...but he came in as indie darlings started to get pushed by WWE over the homegrowns, and even if it didn't let's not forget Parker was despised by the NXT crowds. Likewise, Cody was very good...but can you really think of any moment in time when Cody should have been pushed to the top and was held back in WWE? The only good moment to vault Cody to the uppercard/main event was that run with the Rhodes Family in 2013...and even then the crowd made their choice in Daniel Bryan and made it clear no one else would do.) 

Hager ain't it. He doesn't have any star quality. His size and a decent ability for wrestling comedy are the two things he has, and voila! He's being used as the muscle and the second to Jericho's comedy routines in AEW. 

That probably makes him an indictment of how WWE doesn't know how to use guys to their abilities, but not one of how badly they missed on a star prospect like Cody, or hell, Juice Robinson as someone else mentioned. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Natural said:

iAVICjy.jpg

Chris Jericho's "A Little Bit of the bubbly" has sold 10,000 bottles thus far after the first two days of release. Dave Meltzer. 

A memorable year for Chris Jericho.

Dare I say that fat, drunken, obnoxious Jericho is the best Jericho?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Other than Naylor, I don't remember anyone thinking CJ Parker had much talent at all.

Guilty as charged. I thought Parker was a total waste of TV time. In all fairness, it did take NJPW to bring out the Juice that we all know and love today. Had he stuck around WWE, he would have had the same career trajectory as No Way Jose.

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He’s pretty close to Dusty in terms ring skill. Who was more showman, than hold for hold wrestler.

1970s Dusty was no joke in the ring. Those of us who may only recall him at the end of his career on TBS need to do some youtubing. Prime Dusty was great, particularly before he turned face. One of the best and most obnoxious heels ever. You think Terry Funk had it down? Seek out some early Rhodes in Florida when he was still heeling. People wanted to fucking kill him.

• Like 3