DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

As it's the last month of year, trying to sum up key moments from it:

The formation of All Elite Wrestling. 

Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks leave NJPW.

Women main event WrestleMania: Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair. Shame it wasn't Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch headlining with Asuka vs. Charlotte Flair as the second women's title match. 

Daniel Bryan showing he's the GOAT.

Bray Wyatt resurrects his career as the host of a disturbed Rainbow like Firefly Funhouse and as a monster, The Fiend. 

WWE declining TV ratings. 

The amount of wrestlers wanting to leave WWE: TAFKA Dean Ambrose, Dustin Rhodes, The Revival, Luke Harper etc.

Seth Rollins popularity sinks and then some with his bratty behaviour particularly on twitter. 

Paul Heyman named executive director of RAW, Eric Bischoff executive director of Smackdown. Bischoff is fired not long after taking it up.

Smackdown moves to FOX.

The wrestling community rightly shits on the horrible finish to Seth Rollins vs. The Fiend inside Hell in a Cell. The fans in attendance were really pissed off.

Fuck Saudi Arabia drama in October.

Chris Jericho reinvents himself again.

Wednesday Night Wars: WWE NXT TV goes live and to two hours vs. AEW Dynamite.

The passings of Harley Race, Gene Okerlund and Ashley Massaro.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6

If a show was happening local to me, and the main event was a tag match with Jordynne Grace and Tessa Blanchard, I'd buy a ticket. If they weren't going to be there and Sandman was main eventing, I wouldn't go. It's 2019, he can barely move now. His one MLW appearance this year was awful.

Wierd how Dreamer can still go really. 1995 was nearly twenty five years ago.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

As it's the last month of year, trying to sum up key moments from it:

The formation of All Elite Wrestling. 

Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks leave NJPW.

Women main event WrestleMania: Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair. Shame it wasn't Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch headlining with Asuka vs. Charlotte Flair as the second women's title match. 

Daniel Bryan showing he's the GOAT.

Bray Wyatt resurrects his career as the host of a disturbed Rainbow like Firefly Funhouse and as a monster, The Fiend. 

WWE declining TV ratings. 

The amount of wrestlers wanting to leave WWE: TAFKA Dean Ambrose, Dustin Rhodes, The Revival, Luke Harper etc.

Seth Rollins popularity sinks and then some with his bratty behaviour particularly on twitter. 

Paul Heyman named executive director of RAW, Eric Bischoff executive director of Smackdown. Bischoff is fired not long after taking it up.

Smackdown moves to FOX.

The wrestling community rightly shits on the horrible finish to Seth Rollins vs. The Fiend inside Hell in a Cell. The fans in attendance were really pissed off.

Fuck Saudi Arabia drama in October.

Chris Jericho reinvents himself again.

Wednesday Night Wars: WWE NXT TV goes live and to two hours vs. AEW Dynamite.

The passings of Harley Race, Gene Okerlund and Ashley Massaro.

No Roman Reigns beats cancer and returns? No return of Jon Moxley?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Listen I don’t agree with what Sandman said, but it’s the Sandman. He says silly stuff like that. This won’t stop me from listening to his podcast “A Grain of Sand”!?

People listen to the Sandman in 2019? Well, fuck me running, I haven't paid any attention to the buffoon in about twenty years.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Eivion said:

No Roman Reigns beats cancer and returns? No return of Jon Moxley?

I forgot Roman Reigns beating cancer. Mentioned Jon Moxley as TAFKA Dean Ambrose leaving WWE.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, OSJ said:

People listen to the Sandman in 2019? Well, fuck me running, I haven't paid any attention to the buffoon in about twenty years.

He was parodying Cornette apologists. On the subject of which, I do wonder what Cornette thought of the Impact Throwback Throwdown special. Because on the one hand, it was everything he thinks Wrestling should  be in 2019, but on the other hand, he was the one guy specifically mocked, and it was Sami Callihan doing the mocking. So maybe he hated it and thought it was insulting.

6 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

I thought Roman beating cancer was last year. It's been a long ass year... Even Batista quietly retiring seems like it was aeons ago. I've already flushed CM Punk's return to WWE programming to the back of my hippocampus. I don't know if it's just wrestling moves quickly or I'm getting old.

If it's any consolation, I forgot those three when I made my 2019 in wrestling post.

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

He was parodying Cornette apologists. On the subject of which, I do wonder what Cornette thought of the Impact Throwback Throwdown special. Because on the one hand, it was everything he thinks Wrestling should  be in 2019, but on the other hand, he was the one guy specifically mocked, and it was Sami Callihan doing the mocking. So maybe he hated it and thought it was insulting.

Cornette says and does enough silly shit to deserve to be occasionally mocked. On the other hand that Impact finds room on their payroll for the likes of Sami Callihan is far funnier.  If I had to list ten people that I consider are a blight on the landscape of professional wrestling, Mr. Callihan would find himself very near the top of the list. At least Sandman has some funny shit to say once in awhile, I can't think of any redeeming qualities that Callihan has. Yeah, ten years ago he could work a decent match, now he just waddles around and acts like a tough guy. Fucking roided-up dwarf.

• Like 2

He can accidentally hit you with a bat in the face, wrestle a comedy match in a mask when he should be serious and be accused of beating ex-wives.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AxB said:

Presumably, he will discuss it on the pod or the drive thru this week. 

I would expect him to dismiss it as mockery, maybe exempting the folks there he does like (Tessa, .. ). 

The most surprising wrestling thing that happened to me in 2019 is that Cody not-Rhodes is my favorite wrestler.

Not because I think he's the best wrestler or because I love watching his matches the most (that banger with Dustin Rhodes aside, I wouldn't list one of his matches from this year among my favorites), but because he's picked up the Daniel-Bryan-in-2014 mantle of being the wrestler who most appeals to my early-Millennial sensibilities.

That Cody has found a way to replicate his father's character except for Millennials with dreams who have to scrabble hard to achieve them as opposed to working class men with dreams who have to scrabble hard to achieve them is brilliant. He is the only character in wrestling going today whom I genuinely care about from a character standpoint. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I wish Cody could have gotten the trademark so we could of had a real Starrcade

Just listened to a couple of Cody's promos and he's one of the best. He conveys all the emotion that his dad did without the hokey accent (and I say that as a huge Dusty Rhodes fan).

27 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Just listened to a couple of Cody's promos and he's one of the best. He conveys all the emotion that his dad did without the hokey accent (and I say that as a huge Dusty Rhodes fan).

I’ve been noticing that as I continue to watch AEW. Cody is his fathers son. He cuts one hell of promo, he’s one of the top stars even without a championship, creatively he’s got his fathers knack for this and also has a great business mind. Cody has had a stellar 2019.

• Like 5

Cody's ringwork deserves a mention too, he is by no means as skilled as his brother, (like who is?), but he has gotten better and better at working a good match. No, he ain't Misawa by any means, but he's getting the story-telling aspects down pat. I agree that he had a stellar 2019.

• Like 3