DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Don't Trust The Reptiloids - 11/29/2019

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

The guy is great and people are just hating on this because they don’t want to like anything.

Is my opinion only valid if I'm tripping over myself to spout positive thoughts? How does that work?

Here's positive: I like Bray's wrestling more than most others here. The dumb lighting is making me not want to watch it.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

The guy is great and people are just hating on this because they don’t want to like anything.

I'm glad he does it for you but he's literally the opposite of what I like in wrestling. And I like a lot these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

His gimmick matches are goofy but there are a long line of Taker and Kane and etc. matches that are just cartoons. 

Most of the Undertaker and Kane silliness happened before the bell. I think they are taking his Fiend Character and trying to overly produce him more and more into a horror villain. Look at what they did with Bray and Orton at Mania a few years ago. They both joke about it even now. As the Fiend, he's gotta Wrestle under red lighting and I'm willing to bet that idea came about as bells and whistles for the HITC match to make up for that finish. I still like the fyerfly fun house but all this other stuff the want to add to his matches is hurting him.

• Thanks 1

91 Taker had more match structure than "take and no sell everything in your opponents moveset, hit 3 total moves and win".  Bray managed to do something Hogan, Nash, Warrior, and all the great no sellers in history have wished they could pull off.  Be champ with the absolute least amount of effort while burying the living fuck out of your opponents in the process.

• Thanks 3

Bray is fine. It's the booking that sucks.

The horror movie stuff was terrible when Kane did it and it's terrible now. When your babyfaces are made to look like they fear for their lives just because Bray Wyatt put a mask on and gave them the mandible claw, they are completely neutered. The fuck finish at HiaC was a horrible attempt at overcorrecting that. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Raziel said:

91 Taker had more match structure than "take and no sell everything in your opponents moveset, hit 3 total moves and win". 

It also helped that the kids in the crowd were legit scared of him. Those shots in the crowd added alot too, I know he says he had to hold back with alot of stuff but the few moves he did was impressive. Then going back a watching his  Mean Mark work, it was probably a good thing he had to hold back and was a reason he had longevity. Bray doesn't need to be good in the ring but I thought it was cool he brought back the Mandible claw. I see a few people hate it for some reason but I like that it's being used as a serious move again an modern WWE I think every main event guy needs an established submission.

I like the Fiend but WWE is getting in the way too much to alot me to enjoy in.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The Natural said:

64337-15719216163846-800.jpg

Cheers, @Zartan. Appreciate that. I really like the two sides to Bray Wyatt's gimmick. The kids presenter of Firefly Funhouse, a Rainbow for those from the UK and as a horror monster in the Fiend. The different presentations of the two characters. I also give credit to Bray resurrecting his career as he has in 2019.

There have been missteps though. The Fiend is a regular now on TV. My fantasy booking in the Hell in a Cell 2019 thread was for the Fiend to win the WWE Universal Championship there and only appear sporadically on TV, a Firefly Funhouse segment every couple of weeks and the Fiend longer than that. Less is more.

I prefer the Fiend's original SummerSlam 2019 entrance to what we've had since Hell in a Cell. I don't like the red lighting in the Fiend's matches post SummerSlam - I can tell you it's a pain in the ass live as it is on TV. I also don't like the Fiend's custom WWE Championship. I can understand why people aren't fans of Bray Wyatt and the gimmicks.

I like the points you make. I do enjoy the funhouse bits I think it’s just The Fiend stuff still hasn’t really caught on with me. 

• Thanks 1

I like the idea of gradually morphing the title. It would also mean that they could sell more different replicas, maybe also gradually ramp up the price so the rich marks would have a ‘boiling frog’ reaction to the cost, they could have made millions of dollars. Oh well.

Regarding Bray, it’s the combination of the booking, and the excessive death-defying no-selling, and the collateral damage (e.g. the final nail in the coffin for the awful Rollins babyface character), and the Virtual Boy lighting, and the scarcity of intriguing/competitive match-ups since it’s been established that he is basically Terminator.

I enjoyed Firefly Funhouse, the Fiend character in a vacuum, the mystery of him attacking legends, and the potential directions of the split personality / duality. But the way it’s transpired has not been wonderful.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1

I always thought the smoking skull belt was dumb, because it was a completely new belt, not just a recolored or tweaked version of the actual title. It would be like DiBiase (or the Ringmaster) winning the championship and then saying “The Million Dollar Belt is now the championship belt.”

While I’m at it, having the Universal title slowly morph into the Fiend’s belt would be dumb, because Bray and the Field are separate personalities. Bray said something like “If I get a belt, he gets a belt.”

Edited by JonnyLaw

On 11/30/2019 at 3:11 PM, MORELOCK said:

Bray is fine. It's the booking that sucks.

The horror movie stuff was terrible when Kane did it and it's terrible now. When your babyfaces are made to look like they fear for their lives just because Bray Wyatt put a mask on and gave them the mandible claw, they are completely neutered. The fuck finish at HiaC was a horrible attempt at overcorrecting that. 

Seth Rollins is the World's Worst Babyface (TM patent pending) and it led right into a heel turn.  Is Daniel Bryan scared of him?