DVDVR Message Board

Give me YOUR puro questions for Vader

ditch

What did he think about the helmet when they gave it to him? I can see him thinking "what is this shit". 

Did anyone ever try and shoot on him in Japan? 

What was it like meeting Lou Thesz, and whatever happened to the belt he gave him in UWF? Favorite worker in UWF? 

What are his thoughts on the Noah split from All Japan and did he ever consider staying with All Japan.

Who in All Japan/New Japan/Noah did he get along with most and who did he not get along with?

Any Yakuza stories?

Who was the stiffest worker he ever faced?

I hit wiki to see what stuff he'd done in Europe and found out that his famous NJ debut / beating Inoki in three minutes / massive venue-banning riot adventure (which will always be worth a question or two by itself) came just two years after his debut. So there a few questions there such as whether he had any insight into him being thrown into that position, if he felt he was ready, how much prior knowledge he had of Japan (or hell, pro wrestling) going in etc.

After reading more my Vader curiosity is now about him getting into the industry late and the industry seeming to make up for lost time by flying him around the world to beat up their guys and get gold from day one. At what point did he grasp the significance of his career (most IWGP reigns by a foreigner and only wrestler to hold world championships on three continents simultaneously both happening early on)? Did he have any problems fending off complacency? Did anyone (including himself) suspect or accuse him of having an ego or being overpushed or being a big stiff bastard?

And of course you gotta ask him about UWFi. Opponents, style, it existing, the lot.

Seeing as he worked NJ/AJ/UWFi/WJ and NOAH it'd probably be amiss not to ask him about the differences in working for all those promotions (or even better, what they think of each other) as off the top of my head I can only really think of Tenryu who's managed to breach the boundaries of company loyalty so freely during that time frame and as brought up in the catch-all thread when that guy speaks it sounds all Japanesey.

Though this doesn't really focus on Japan/Europe, Is there a continent he feels the Vader character belonged to or in?

Oh yeah and I would def ask about the match where Foley lost his ear. Did he realize what happened during the match? Thoughts on working with Foley and Sting?

Memories from the Starcade '93 match with Flair?

What was it like for him when Hogan came to WCW?

Thoughts on working with HBK? His relationship with Vince...?

Did he encourage his son to get into the business? What advice has he given him?

Does Vader still have the old black Mastodon helmet/headgear (seen in his NWA/WCW days) or know where it is?

Is his son Jesse planning wrestling full-time with a promotion in Japan?

Has he spoken to Mick Foley since the infamous match from Germany where Foley lost his right ear?

Did he get a chance to attend the funeral for Mitsuharu Misawa (since they had a few matches in the AJPW days)? Does he still keep up with any of the Japanese wrestlers he wrestled?

What was the deal with the Beat Takeshi's Wrestling stable thing? And how did they know that everyone in it would turn out to be so good?

On one hand, the interview didn't happen as quickly as I hoped. On the other hand, I'm now going to Skype with Vader.

And it's all thanks, indirectly, to Alan.

very indirectly, considering I didn't know it was happening until now! haha. Hope it went well Ditch. Can't wait to see the end result.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just curious Ditch, in these cases when you guys are setting up interviews, are you/the website talking directly to the wrestler, or to an agent/rep for the wrestler?  It does seem odd that someone would just change their mind all of a sudden unless something outside of your and his control happened (ie WWE wouldn't let him for some reason if he has a legends deal, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...