DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/27/2019

Dolfan in NYC

On 11/30/2019 at 11:19 AM, goodhelmet said:

I watched the show, enjoyed it for what it was but I want to address the production complaints. I will take flubs, miscues, audio issues all day long if I never have to sit through another over-produced, stale WWE production again. Production flubs make the show feel more "real" to me. It's refreshing.  

This is bonkers.  The production errors on Dark this past week made it look like no one bothered to watch their taped show. There's real and then there is unprofessional garbage that would be unacceptable on a broadcast of professional Cornhole.

Can we talk about how stupid the women's tag match was this week?  Hiruka Shida is probably the hottest hand in the division as the new challenger to Riho.  So they job her to the cold Emi Sakura (who is stupidly miscast as a heel) and Bea Priestly (who looks even worse than Britt Baker).  And in so doing, you also make Stratlander lose her second match and her Dynamite debut making her 0-2 in meaningless tags with random partners.  It's dumb, booking 101 stuff and AEW is too stupid to do anything than pull names out of the random tag match hat.

• Like 2

I assume it’s because Sakura was available for that day so why not extend this out so Shida can get a proper singles win for the clear #1 contender spot, than just beating in a tag match. Also I don’t consider Shida losing in this tag match jobbing. Kris took the pin, and not her.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I assume it’s because Sakura was available for that day so why not extend this out so Shida can get a proper singles win for the clear #1 contender spot, than just beating in a tag match. Also I don’t consider Shida losing in this tag match jobbing. Kris took the pin, and not her.

She already got the clear singles win against Baker who came in as ranked number one.  There’s no reason to have her this match at all.  It also stupidly muddies the waters where the top three women (by booking) are faces when Shida could easily be the heel to build around.

Hikaru Shida is the face the women's division should have been built around from the very beginning, instead of Riho. The fans took a liking to those two, and Yuka, from the very beginning. Well, Kylie Rae too, but we all know how that turned out. Britt Baker should be a heel. Bea Priestly is the heel they should build the division around, as well. Awesome Kong should be the monster heel force that a babyface topples eventually, after Kong runs roughshod over the division for a minute. Ideally, it would have been Kylie (after she gets her ass beat a few times). Kris Statlander should be in this weird grey area, since she's a fucking alien.

Emi Sakura should be a heel that's jealous of the popularity of her students, like Riho and Hikaru. If she was face, her entrance would be fine. But she's not, so they need to drop that shit ASAP. But, her heel/face alignment seems to change every few weeks, so who the fuck knows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

She already got the clear singles win against Baker who came in as ranked number one.  There’s no reason to have her this match at all.  It also stupidly muddies the waters where the top three women (by booking) are faces when Shida could easily be the heel to build around.

As @LoneWolf&Subs mentioned, she loses to Sakura with the inevitable return victory in a singles.  Really not a big deal.  That tag wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't anything to get angry about.  Statlander looked great.  Yeah, it would've been nice for her to pick up a victory, but I don't think we need to worry about Kris Statlander.  I like Emi Sakura.  I like her silly antics. 

6 hours ago, Goodear said:

This is bonkers.  The production errors on Dark this past week made it look like no one bothered to watch their taped show. There's real and then there is unprofessional garbage that would be unacceptable on a broadcast of professional Cornhole.

This isn't the first week Dark has suffered from poor production/editing.  Tho, this week was the most glaring.  I get the feeling there's a B team in place for this show and they're, at least somewhat, learning on the job.  Completely speculating tho.  Again, I don't think this is anything to get too bent out of shape over.  The Dynamite production has been excellent.

Sad to see the ratings drop, but it's still so early, and they're still ahead of where they were expected to be.  It's gonna take some serious time before they really start to hit, but I still have zero doubt they will.  American TV wrestling has been lame for far too long to expect some sort of miracle sudden turnaround.  Anybody else on here not being counted in this ratings battle?  I never watch live.  A tape delay enthusiast here.  I also have little to no interest in NXT.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

And if/when the ratings and demos rebound back to normal will Dave reply to his own tweet and say, "sometimes you're wrong?"

I like Dave, but if I had a dollar for every time he's said something is a "real story" along with a caveat then I'd be able to buy a lot of Christmas presents this year.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Hikaru Shida is the face the women's division should have been built around from the very beginning, instead of Riho. 

Disagree. Shida is good for the time she’s been doing this but no way is she ready to have a division built around her. Offense and timing still needs a lot of work ESPECIALLY that weak ass chair spot outside. 

I think the real problem are the dumb ass rankings and the need to pad out and fill people’s records to build up challengers. 

I’d rather see Riho defending more often on a whim then these interchangeable forgettable tag matches every week. 

11 hours ago, Goodear said:

Can we talk about how stupid the women's tag match was this week?  Hiruka Shida is probably the hottest hand in the division as the new challenger to Riho.  So they job her to the cold Emi Sakura (who is stupidly miscast as a heel) and Bea Priestly (who looks even worse than Britt Baker).  And in so doing, you also make Stratlander lose her second match and her Dynamite debut making her 0-2 in meaningless tags with random partners.  It's dumb, booking 101 stuff and AEW is too stupid to do anything than pull names out of the random tag match hat.

I was talking about Dynamite. I haven't seen Dark since the 2nd week. I'll take your word for it. 

10 hours ago, Zartan said:

Disagree. Shida is good for the time she’s been doing this but no way is she ready to have a division built around her. Offense and timing still needs a lot of work ESPECIALLY that weak ass chair spot outside. 

I’m a Shida fan and I can agree with this. I think she has more charisma and mainstream potential than Riho but Riho has proved she can pull people into her matches through psychology and timing while Shida still seems to be hitting spots sometimes. That said, your champ doesn’t have to be the best wrestler either, she just has to make the audience care. It feels like people are buying into Shida, I hope they can build off that.

This is the coldest take of all time but AEW needs a Fit Finlay to work with these ladies. Get the match times down to avoid exposing the weaker performers and get some heat going (which they’re starting but Sakura makes it hard). And if they’re going to do a bunch of tags then let’s get some real tag teams going at least.

15 hours ago, Godfrey said:

And if they’re going to do a bunch of tags then let’s get some real tag teams going at least.

Omega said in an interview last week that women's tag titles are coming, so I expect to see actual teams formed soon.