DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/27/2019

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Have they done anything with the Kip Sabian/Penelope Ford pairing since they appeared at the last PPV?

Ford got involved in the Diamond Battle Royal, enabling Sabian to eliminate Chuck Taylor. Then, they made out after the elimination, which caused Sabian to be distracted and eliminated by Jungle Boy.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The reasoning is simple. Brandi defeated Allie at Fight for the Fallen and has sent Awesome Kong after Allie. Allie's revenge? Sending The Blade & The Butcher after Cody. Seems pretty simple and logical to me.

Considering that they've finally distanced Cody and Brandi on screen, this would be a step backwards. Hope it's something else. 

I actually wound up selling my tickets. With my wife unable to go and my family hanging out, I decided it was more important to go out with my cousins especially since one of them had a stroke at this same time last year.

I made the right choice. I don't feel like I missed out on a whole lot, which is disappointing. I agree with Ace. First hour felt like a mess. The SCU run in was flat and the matches weren't what they could have been. Second hour was better, but even that was a little rough. 

I'd like for Dynamite to be more of what it was there first few weeks.

A night of misfires for me. Even the in-ring which you can usually rely on to shine through was choppy and disjointed. Pac/Omega was cool, but levels below what they're capable of. Just one of those nights.

Moxley though was head and shoulders above the rest. Another good promo. I like the Inner circle gig, but was the opening segment really necessary? They did the funny bit weeks ago. The goat was tone deaf garbage especially after the blowback they received after Cody scaring the life out of his dog. Total overkill. Virgil was a nice touch but the guy is clearly going senile and forgot Jericho's name and had to read the most basic of words off of a script and still mumbled his way through them.

Dug the Dark Order Heaven's Gate cosplay.

Didn't get the whole deal with the guest commentator bit, especially when he sucked. I could have done a better job. Weird.

Watched the episode a second time. Again, matches felt kinda off. The Jericho segment was just as good as first viewing, best call so far is crowning Jericho as the first champ. He can carry any segment.

I remember his Fight for the Fallen promo and I was kind of worried we would get drunk Jericho every week. 

Jericho is up there with Flair and the likes as best ever. Absolute legend.

• Like 1

BTW, I'm now in agreement with VileOne, which means something is definitely wrong, but the sound from the ring is now really distracting. It sounds like the wrestlers are walking around in a 150 year old house that's ready to fall apart. You can just hear every single footstep and the sound production for the ring is way worse than what it was when the series first started.

It's surreal and great to see Andy Williams on live wrestlling TV, I just hope he still finds the time to record the next ETID album. Now The Dillinger Escape Plan have finished, they're the defacto best live band in the world, and I need new riffs.

• Like 4

+1 on not being able to stand Emi Sakura. Completely undercuts the face team every week getting her diminishing returns with a really one dimensional tribute act. Either let her be a face or stop having her be a big big reason why this division makes for awful watching.

Not a massive fan of MJF either. Lose the shitty tattoos. It really takes away from the character. Even being as gassed up as he is takes away from it a bit too. Wardlow looks hopelessly lost out there also.

Everything else was so so to pretty good. Show is lacking direction a little with nothing really set as a long term program just week to week small targets. If you want to make the rankings mean something shouldn't Pac have acknowledged being the #1 ranked guy in some capacity before losing to Omega?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SturmCRF said:

It's surreal and great to see Andy Williams on live wrestlling TV, I just hope he still finds the time to record the next ETID album. Now The Dillinger Escape Plan have finished, they're the defacto best live band in the world, and I need new riffs.

At first, I thought you meant an old clip of crooner Andy Williams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It can’t be that hard to get a decent audio engineer, it surely should be the easiest piece of the puzzle to get right compared to booking right, securing the right talent in the right spots, having the talent execute great matches, having compelling promos etc etc.

It’s such an unforced error and I thought it dragged down this show and was pretty noticeable in some others.

I thought another unforced error was debuting an unknown act like that versus vignettes or some other method. You’d want to do it like this if they were well known and would massively pop the live crowd. Now they sort of seem like nobodies even though they have a great look and by all accounts are pretty entertaining. I agree with the point above that I was hoping for a Brian Blessed-esque booming voice and he sounds like a skinny vegan Elmo trapped inside the body of a murderius butcher

Auto-correct turned emo to Elmo, I’m leaving it for the humorous image 

Edited by Custos

The weird thing is that I thought the audio was damn near perfect for the first 3 of 4 shows. The ring sounded great, like a WCW or NJPW ring, the crowd was mic'd up well, I didn't have any problems hearing the entrance music, and commentators weren't drowning out there rest of the audio.

Since then the quality has really fallen off. Just go back to doing what you did before. Or maybe the audio quality just depends on the building they're in?

Rewatching the Butcher & the Blade debut, that whole commentary exchange cracked me up.

"The Blade!! The Blade emerging from underneath the ring!"
"Who is it?!"
"The Blade!!"

"Blade and the Butcher?"
"The Butcher and the Blade!"

"Well now we know who brought them here.... ITS THE BUNNY!"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Rewatching the Butcher & the Blade debut, that whole commentary exchange cracked me up.

"The Blade!! The Blade emerging from underneath the ring!"
"Who is it?!"
"The Blade!!"

"Blade and the Butcher?"
"The Butcher and the Blade!"

"Well now we know who brought them here.... ITS THE BUNNY!"

I thought that was really lame and hokey. Surprise debuts are fine if that person or team has had a video package or something to that effect to hype them up.

Instead the three of them just looked like random geeks that few at home or there live knew. If you do a surprise debut like that then it only works if it's someone the majority of people know.

• Like 4

They should have learned from the Dark Order debut. Of course, the Dark Order is one of the best parts of AEW now thanks to one promo and two vignettes giving them a clear direction. ...and yes, I did go to JoinDarkOrder.com and join

Give them some promo time and a few vignettes, the Blade & the Butcher will be fine.

• Like 2

Totally agree but it just wasn't smart between who they attacked (people want to see Cody exacting revenge on Mjeff) and what @Craig H said. They should be fine but this wasn't a good start.

Little missteps and I don't think anyone is expecting perfection except for WWE hardcores looking for the promotion to fail, but they just gotta learn and not repeat mistakes like you said. 

For instance, Cody just talked about that invisible wall WWE has between guys in angles where they just stare at each other like jackoffs during that golden angle with Jericho but last night they end with Jericho and Mox staring at each other like jackoffs instead of Mox hitting his DDT.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

They're relying on their audience being the type of fan that watches stuff like Beyond or other indies and that already know who these people are (Dark Order, Butcher/Blade, etc). It's why we haven't seen too many video packages and stuff for a lot of guys - their characters haven't changed a whole hell of a lot from when they were on the indies.

It's just like how they rely on people to watch Being The Elite to understand stories, like Hangman Page leaving the Elite (for now). I'm pretty sure this week was the first time they've ever talked about Being The Elite on Dynamite, actually (during MJF/Page).