DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/27/2019

Dolfan in NYC

13 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’ll say that I wasn’t a fan of the introduction of The Blade & The Butcher, and how Excalibur called it. It’s not all that different from the way the Dark Order was introduced to a AEW’s audience. Although I was half expecting The Villain to pop out of the ring too, given the similarity they have with Marty Scurll’s gear. I wonder if that’s who they are planning on teaming him with eventually.

It certainly didn’t help that Jim Ross asked Excalibur “We haven’t seen these guys in AEW yet, have we?”

I liked the Dark Order vignette, I just wish it would have been produced and aired weeks ago.

DVDVR Board before the show: There's not enough interviews! We need to be able to understand who these people are any why they're fighting!

DVDVR Board after the show: Too much talking! It's just like WWE! Where's my alternative?

Yes, I know that it was different people making the opposing points and there is no hivemind. I just thought it was funny.

• Like 6

Yeah, I've been pretty consistent in not wanting a bunch of interviews. Good wrestlers can develop characters in the ring and Dark/BTE provides more depth too. There shouldn't be more than 15 minutes of angles and talking on this show imo.

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

DVDVR Board before the show: There's not enough interviews! We need to be able to understand who these people are any why they're fighting!

DVDVR Board after the show: Too much talking! It's just like WWE! Where's my alternative?

Yes, I know that it was different people making the opposing points and there is no hivemind. I just thought it was funny.

There is a middle ground. 

Short Moxley interview = Good.

Endless Jericho segment at the top of a show that normally starts with action = Bad. 

• Like 2

I like live wrestling to be like a broadcast of a sporting event. I watched the Destroyer memorial today. They opened up with listing the matches on the show, then had the matches. Short post match locker room interviews. They did have ceremonial stuff with old people and family talking about Destroyer. I liked the old monthly MSG shows way more even though the wrestling was half nothing. AEW is getting away from a wrestling card and moving towards being a TV show. I'm just old and crotchety now.

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Loved the womens tag, maybe my favorite match of the night. Kris Stat looked badass, I'm glad Emi is sticking around as a regular, have enjoyed all her matches so far and I always love Shida. 

I dug the women's tag too. I like all of the women involved and am very excited for Statlander.

• Like 2

This show was rough. Overly long Jericho segment with another botched animal cameo, a tag team attacking the so-called top babyface with nothing resembling a reason or explanation, whoever the fuck that State Farm guy was...

• Like 2

I watched most of the '"Throwback" 80s Impact show this afternoon and somehow it seemed to have better production than Dynamite tonight.  I couldn't hear half of what was going on in the Jericho stuff, and the stuff I did hear was pretty lame.  SCU jumping in out of nowhere with no real build-up was bad (They should have been in the mascot costumes for maximum reaction).  It just screamed of someone backstage yelling "This is going too long, just jump in and attack them, it doesn't matter if anyone knows it's SCU or not!"

What was the weird noises during the women's match?  It sounded like a loose board or someone beating a drum in the first row.  Later you could see the front apron pulled up, I wonder if someone was fixing something under there.

If Bunny, Butcher and Blade has them targeting Cody because Allie is mad that Cody's wife is leading attacks on her and everyone cheers for Cody then this could make some sense.  If they're just attacking him because they can't explain why Cody has randomly stopped going after MJF then it's bad WWE "Kofi is fine going after the tag titles after losing his World Title because he's positive!" booking.

I know people are going to hate this, but MJF is basically AEW's Ken Kennedy, right?  Jacked-up guy who's a great talker and connects with the crowd doing promos and sneak-attacks but is pretty awful in the ring? DDP-MJF should be an interesting short feud.

I kinda wished I'd skipped this week's show, to be honest, though, to be fair I didn't really watch the main event but the rest of the show pretty much left me cold.  It really feels like they're kind of spinning their wheels through to the end of the year, like WWE often does this time of year.  For a hyped-up show, this wasn't as entertaining as last week's ROH TV.

• Like 1

Cody was literally about to address the MJF stuff when Butcher & The Blade attacked him. I'm not sure why people think they're stopping that feud. MJF and Wardlow attacking DDP makes sense (and they won't feud because DDP is fucking 63 and hasn't wrestled a non-battle royale type match in years). DDP is a close family friend to Cody, why wouldn't they attack him?

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

I haven't even read the thread but JR's "Abdullah?" line was the funniest thing he has said in years. Maybe a decade.

Pac/Omega and Jericho/Sky were both excellent. The women's tag was good. Nothing was real bad, though the Butcher/Blade/Bunny thing was damn odd. Is nice to see Andy Williams in the ring. Only time I've seen him work was Bloodsport, iirc.

EDIT: I assume Cody/MJF doesn't actually happen until the next ppv. This probably helps fill the time until the build for that can fully kick in, but I'm pretty sure they'll keep the story bubbling under and never let it go. 

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

Misc thoughts from the show:

- Hikaru Shida ❤️

- Hated that commentary didn’t mention anything about Soultrain being out in the Million Dollar Dream.

- Interesting singles push for Trent. I like that storylines don’t seem to be isolated or stuck in a bubble . You have Best Friends picking up wins as a team recently plus Trent also on his own and having Lucha Bros’ number while Penta is also feuding with Chris Daniels, etc.

- MJF looked pretty good tonight with some of the arm work he was doing and coming off as a slimey piece of shit. Loved the gum into DDP’s hand and Page just going “really?”. I wish they would have talked more about the whole ring thing because it's still pretty random and meaningless.

- Great finish to Omega and Pac with Kenny going for the same pin twice but improving it on the second try.

- Crowd was a bit cold for the main event but really picked up after the big TKO near fall. Glad that Le Champion can still win clean from time to time. Some great near falls at the end, I thought they could have probably gone for one more Liontamer into a Small Package near fall before the finish to tease the crowd even more. Also, Dasha Fuentes couldn't keep her eyes off Jericho during the ring intro, there was some flirting going on there, drink it in man.

- Excalibur: who beats up someone in their hometown?!

JR: totally unheard of in the annals of wrestling history!

- Loved JR again forgetting we can still hear him during breaks on Fite. When the jobber came out for Cody's match, "that's the opponent? Really?". Then getting frustrated "are we trending? Where do you see that?? I don't..."

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I haven't complained about the sound issues before because mostly it's been limited to not hearing the commentators when someone's music is playing. Not a big deal as I tend to tune the commentators out anyway. Last night I could barely make out the Jericho segment and missed some good lines based on the audience reaction. Too much echoing and that needs to be fixed.

Overall not a bad show, but it did feel dull and skippable.

• Like 1

Probably the weakest episode so far but still a fun watch. There are def still sound problems because I thought someone had left a loose mic on the mat during the first match. Also the first time Excalibur kind of got on my nerves. He can’t have a bit around certain moves if those moves happen every match, it just gets repetitive. And I wish he hadn’t known who the Blade and Butcher were right off the bat. He could say “I think that’s Allie’s partner” or “I recognize him from his band” but to have all the pertinent info ready to go was a little much. Heels should announce themselves. I’m into that team though. They look like they work at the hipster barber shop that charges too much near my house.

Opening Jericho stuff was funny but too long. Whoever said it was the same stuff we criticize WWE for is right, but let’s come back to that when they do it every week for years. One time by the narcissist champion is okay. Jericho/Scorpio wasn’t what I’d hoped for but nothing to do with the work, the crowd wasn’t biting until the near falls at the end. Maybe Sky isn’t cemented enough as a singles guy for anyone to think they might HHH/Jericho the title.

I liked PAC/Omega quite a bit. Kenny shows he’s learned from his mistakes and he’s coming back from a loss refocussed. I honestly thought he was going to hit OWA right after that first Snap Dragon but the roll up win was a great storytelling move.

I thought Emi Sakura was coming in to challenges Riho for the student/teacher angle and then would disappear. If she’s sticking around, someone should tell her she’s a heel and to wrestle like one. The other three women were great. If Allie and Brandi are going to manage for a bit and Kong won’t wrestle every week, you could build the division around women like them while Nyla and Britt get more miles on their tires. Jamie Hayter too. It’s getting there! Needs more than just matches still.

I guess Best Friends are getting the big tag push, and Trent in particular since he pinned both Lucha Bros this week (if you count Dark as being from this week). They’re getting his finish over as a snap pin which is exactly what they need. I feel like BFs/SCU is something we’ve seen before but the 6-mans with Orange Cassidy should be fun.

A big show that felt mostly like it was setting things up for the future.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Casey said:

It's called "tune in next week for the reason".

Jesus people.

The reasoning is simple. Brandi defeated Allie at Fight for the Fallen and has sent Awesome Kong after Allie. Allie's revenge? Sending The Blade & The Butcher after Cody. Seems pretty simple and logical to me.

• Like 1