DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/27/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Guest The Magnificent 7

First hour was a mess I thought. 

I felt like Reggie Dunlop first meeting the Hanson brothers when those dudes popped up out of the ring and the guy had a fucking monocle. 

A monocle.

“They brought their fucking toys with ‘em!”

Edited by The Magnificent 7

Though the first segment was long, it had some pretty funny moments, the funniest being the goat and Hager's dumb punchline. I also have to give a shout-out to the cheesy picture of a Guevara/Jericho hug (and their replication of it) and PnP joking about Nuyorican moms using flip-flops as weapons.

But actually, the funniest thing was JR saying about Emi Sakura that Freddy Mercury never looked so Oriental, then pausing and saying "Asian," then me thinking "Wait, wasn't Freddy Mercury of Pakistani heritage?" Poor old JR. He tried, bless his heart.

Most of the wrestling seemed like everyone's timing was off, but I dug Cody squashing a dude and winning with a secondary move, like I dug it a lot. Also, MJF's insufferable index was at max tonight, which is of course good, but also, someone shut this fucker's mouth already!

Edited by Smelly McUgly

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

You're gonna have to tell me who the team with the monocle guy is

Andy Williams & Pepper Parks (Allie's husband) - The Butcher & The Blade.

Andy is the guitarist for Every Time I Die.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Though the first segment was long, it had some pretty funny moments, the funniest being the goat and Hager's dumb punchline. I also have to give a shout-out to the cheesy picture of a Guevara/Jericho hug (and their replication of it) and PnP joking about Nuyorican moms using flip-flops as weapons.

The Vics Vapor rub on the chest is such latino tradition. How are PnP heels?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The Vics Vapor rub on the chest is such latino tradition. How are PnP heels?

Wait, there are people that don't use Vics Vapor Rub on their chest? Eventhough the jar specifically says not to, I also put a couple of dabs in my nostrils.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Oh, also, controversial opinion time: I don't like Emi Sakura. I don't think she's very good.

I think she is the worst of the four in that tag match. I'm very high on Kris Statlander, Bea Priestly, and Hikaru Shida.

and a managerial/valet role for Allie is so much better than her being an active wrestler

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Guest The Magnificent 7
10 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I thought the neo-Theodore Roosevelt look was kinda neat, myself.

Teddy Roosevelt was America’s first brown belt in Judo. He would have beat up both those dudes and designated the area a national forest on the way out of the building. 

I thought this show was a blast and with another really hot crowd. Opening was hilarious. I missed Tony but the commentary was on fire at points. Popped huge when revealing Jericho's dad under the box, JR goes "Abdullah?" classic. Also Excalibur's later comment on "Really going for the over 50 demographic!"

Loved the womens tag, maybe my favorite match of the night. Kris Stat looked badass, I'm glad Emi is sticking around as a regular, have enjoyed all her matches so far and I always love Shida. Omega/Pac was good stuff, like a condensed version of their previous match. Laughed at JR telling Excalibur he was coming along nicely after he used "bowling shoe ugly", great reaction. DDP's involvement ruled. "That wasn't a Crossrhodes, that's a double cross!". Cool intriguing debut for the Butcher and the Blade and a sudden switch for Allie, looking forward to more of that and Cody's always got some interesting rivalries. Cody winning with a figure four was nice and different too. Felt like a ton going on throughout the night and that added to the enjoyment, never dragged. Fun main event, never really thought Jericho would lose but the pop for the big near fall was cool and the finish put over Jericho strong. I figured Moxley had to be next in line for a shot with his momentum, the staredown at the end felt like a big deal. Good stuff.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Mediocre show, I thought. Worst one yet, but not actively bad.

Nah, I thought last weeks was the worst one. This one felt like every match, and segment had a purpose in some form. Whether that be to introduce an act, build a character, or set up matches, and angles down the line. 

I’ll say that I wasn’t a fan of the introduction of The Blade & The Butcher, and how Excalibur called it. It’s not all that different from the way the Dark Order was introduced to AEW’s audience. Although I was half expecting The Villain to pop out of the ring too, given the similarity they have with Marty Scurll’s gear. I wonder if that’s who they are planning on teaming him with eventually.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

JR was bringing it tonight. "Awe, kiss my ass" and the Abdullah bit were both gold.

Statlander is going to be so great but I like taking a slow approach. Sakura is smart and I love a gnarly majistral but her execution is a little slow for a lot of other stuff. Bea, Shida, and Statlander could all be big pieces of turning this division into something really worthwhile. Three cornerstones... could use a Blanchard to complete the four pillars. Riho is pretty neat too.

Loved the Jericho opening but it went a few minutes too long and the SCU stuff fell flat.

I hadn't seen Parks in forever and only knew of Williams from Mania weekend shows from a while ago so I didn't recognize them but Parks is really solid (Dillinger but a bit more presence imo and less dull in the ring) and Williams looked like an effective if not green big dude. I'm not sure about Cody pivoting to that instead of MJeff. Cody will beat them and they'll be just guys pretty much out of the gates, plus nobody wants to see that detour.

Pac/Omega was incredibly good but I wouldn't call it great. The story was Kenny was more focused and learned from his past mistakes against Pac but it still lacks an emotional level to the narrative. Still, I could watch those two wrestle every week. Two of the best.

Main event was very good professional wrestling. Loved them teasing the flash pin again. Fuck yeah Mox v Jericho though the staredown felt very WWE-esque (after a WWE-esque opening segment). 

Overall, good but not great show.

(btw, @LoneWolf&Subs you're wrong and I hatechoo~! Last week's episode was fantastic and I will not hear anything against it).

Edited by Oyaji

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Loved the Jericho opening but it went a few minutes too long and the SCU stuff fell flat.

When SCU ran in, I was like “The fuck? Did Jericho talk shit about Kellogg’s?”.

Also, did SCU watch Master of Disguise recently? That’s 3 weeks out of 4 where they’ve used costumes.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1