DVDVR Message Board

SO's Who Share Your Passions (or not)

OSJ

After just having an amusing discussion with the wife person regarding the purchase price of the Elder Predator (Golden Angel) figure for close to forty bucks all was happily resolved when I showed that I have a substantial royalty check coming. Anyway, her contention was "Forty dollars is a lot for a toy!" My contention was forty dollars is quite reasonable for a very detailed and cool as fuck action figure that will stand proudly on my desk along with figures of the Blazing Skull and the Destroyer. Anyway she caved and the figure is on the way.*

So my question is this, do your SOs share or tolerate your passions for wrestling, comics, action figures, what have you?

*Fuck the royalty check, I just sold a $500 book on eBay... I am SO buying a bunch of Predator figures that the office is going to look like their mothership. What Kathy doesn't know won't bother her...

Edited by OSJ

1 hour ago, Bustronaut said:

My wife grew up watching and loving JCP/WCW, but refuses to talk about it with me.

She's probably a secret member of Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness. Divorce her immediately! ?

• Haha 1

My lady loves comics and movies. For wrestling,she watched during the Attitude era,but since then she hasn't seen much. If I want to watch it she will sit there and watch with me. But she isn't into it that much.

But then we are total opposites when it comes to music. A big part of that might be the 11 years age difference.

I lucked out with my wife.  She shares a lot of the same interests to varying degrees so it's been easy to experience a lot of things we care about together.  But for wrestling she's always liked it since watching it with her dad.  At first it was watching WWF/WWE then one day in '05 she asked me about ROH.  As I filled her in on everything she was on board with everything and right then I knew she was a keeper.  Since then while she may mess with her phone or Switch or whatever she'll watch pretty much anything I put on.

What still blows my mind is after all that she's watched with me is I can safely say she's way more into AEW than I am.  And that's not due to lack of interest on my end because I fully believe in them.  But she's done everything from following the main crew's social accounts to willfully buying an AEW jacket and wearing it everywhere.  Maybe it's the progressive nature of it all with people like Sonny and Nyla in the company.  Maybe it's the fact that stuff makes sense and is generally fun to watch.  But whatever it is it speaks to her in a way I've never seen a wrestling company do.  So while we do share a lot of the same passions I feel kind of glad that since discussing ROH in '05 it's led to this.

On 11/29/2019 at 7:42 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I lucked out with my wife.  She shares a lot of the same interests to varying degrees so it's been easy to experience a lot of things we care about together.  But for wrestling she's always liked it since watching it with her dad.  At first it was watching WWF/WWE then one day in '05 she asked me about ROH.  As I filled her in on everything she was on board with everything and right then I knew she was a keeper.  Since then while she may mess with her phone or Switch or whatever she'll watch pretty much anything I put on.

What still blows my mind is after all that she's watched with me is I can safely say she's way more into AEW than I am.  And that's not due to lack of interest on my end because I fully believe in them.  But she's done everything from following the main crew's social accounts to willfully buying an AEW jacket and wearing it everywhere.  Maybe it's the progressive nature of it all with people like Sonny and Nyla in the company.  Maybe it's the fact that stuff makes sense and is generally fun to watch.  But whatever it is it speaks to her in a way I've never seen a wrestling company do.  So while we do share a lot of the same passions I feel kind of glad that since discussing ROH in '05 it's led to this.

That is beyond cool, my brother... Kathy pretty tolerates wrestling, though I can see her getting excited by a particularly good angle. She has watched NJPW with me and is into Naito, so that's cool. (She can't remember his name and refers to him as "the guy that used to spit on people", but that's something. She fails to appreciate the greatness that is Tanahashi and the only thing she's had to say about Kenny Omega is "Why does he keep making faces like that, are his trunks too tight or something?"

• Like 1