DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/20/2019

Dolfan in NYC

13 hours ago, AxB said:

AEW Dream Match: Moxley vs Nick Jackson in a Hair vs Hair match. Ends in a draw, so they both have to shave their heads.

Seriously.  Nick is doing the Vince Neil "hide my hairline with a bandana" thing and it's hilarious.  Google their brother, Malachi (the Youngest Buck!) to see what the Massie hairline eventually develops into.

12 hours ago, LP Steve said:

I'm 62.....

For the last two weeks, I've just happened to be alone in hotel rooms on Wednesday night and, with nothing better to do, have toggled back and forth between AEW and NXT. To me, the AEW show has been consistently better, both in presentation of angles and in-ring work. I'm not sure why my fellow old farts disagree, other than that they've never watched anything other than McMahon's product and so have no tools with which to evaluate professional wrestling.

10 hours ago, Peck said:

Ironically enough, my 66-year-old father stumbled across AEW Wednesday night for the first time and sent me the following texts verbatim from his flip phone:

"Ray Felix is on now"

"They put wwe to shame with their moves unreal"

"Shida is awesome"

AEW: stealing Baby Boomers one at a time.

These examples are awesome.  Meltzer keeps saying how WWE skews old because people just want what they grew up with.  I know he's generalizing and I'm really happy there are exceptions to the rule.  I'm 45 myself, so not that far from WWE's demo.  I grew up on them.  My first ever house show was 1986, Hogan vs Beefcake and I didn't  catch a NWA house show until almost a year later at the urging of a friend of mine.  I think the difference is that the older people who stick with WWE now are the ones who never got into much else.  Me, I liked WWF back in the day but was equally into NWA/WCW and whatever else I could get my hands on.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

I have never really cared for Billy Gunn before the battle royale and now I think it's a crime he's not going to the final.  Gunn was the heart and soul of that match.  Someone needs to tell MJF that it is possible to be a heel without being a complete asshole.  I have hated Jimmy Havoc's hardcore lite bullshit since MJW and this match didn't help.

Havoc's look is awful and nobody cares about his gimmick.  In a company where so many better, higher-up-the-card workers (and yes, I rank even Joey Janela above Havoc) are working hardcore -- I mean shit, two top tier guys just did a crazy hardcore main event -- who cares about a guy who looks like a middle aged Proud Boy accountant out for a S&M weekend?

8 hours ago, matt925 said:

Even my wife who doesn’t like wrestling at all and just saw a few minutes commented on that. I think they are still experimenting with mic placements and sound mixes.

I hope so.  It was glaring hearing the announcers' audio drop whenever the crowd popped. 

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

But we're talking about a lively crowd at a large sporting arena and a person he might never see again until the next time they run a show in that city, so what's the harm in a quick Facebook moment for some girl at ringside at least for promoting himself on social media?  Even Bret Hart found time during his walk-out to give a random kid a pair of sunglasses.

If the argument is "Allin didn't take a pic with a woman because the prospect of "rats" skeeves him out, then "Bret did it" isn't the best argument in the "take pics" category.  Bret bagged more rats than the Orkin man. 

5 hours ago, eikerir said:

assman.jpg

This is the shot where I really noticed that Billy has developed the Barry Bonds skull.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

One final thought: Watching Moxley kill a smaller dude with impact offense is fun as hell. 

Also, because the things that Allin does best are bump and sell, Moxley's offense looked even better. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Havoc's look is awful and nobody cares about his gimmick.  In a company where so many better, higher-up-the-card workers (and yes, I rank even Joey Janela above Havoc) are working hardcore -- I mean shit, two top tier guys just did a crazy hardcore main event -- who cares about a guy who looks like a middle aged Proud Boy accountant out for a S&M weekend?

All of your points are super money, and I really like the picture you paint of his look. Fucking spot on. Also, if he's going to be Mr. Go Crazy and staple gun everyone, maybe he can work on not leaving so much fucking daylight in between the stapler and his victims? Hard to buy you as a bloodthirsty freak when it's so obvious you are working your weapon shots. I'm not asking for him to actually go out and staple gun everyone, but maybe it only comes out to play when you have a person willing to actually take a stapling.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Goodear said:

Do you all think associating Darby with Moxley as a semi-regular tag partner would be a good move?  On one hand, I think it could work tonally and Moxley's character would respect someone who took the fight to him.  On the other, I don't know that Darby really needs the rub per say and it might cut into their loner personas.

EDIT: Clarifying who's loner persona I was talking about.

I think a loose alliance would be best. Two bad ass dudes who prefer to work alone but team up when faced with insurmountable odds. The pop for Mox saving Allin from a group beatdown would be amazing, but the pop for Allin saving Mox would be off the charts. And they can go right back to fighting each other when it’s over.

• Like 4

On 11/21/2019 at 8:40 AM, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I wasn’t super aware of Rey Fenix prior to AEW, but along with his in-ring ability he has some serious swagger! He comes across as actually cool. Fun match between he and Nick Jackson. 

I too knew very little of the Luchas pre-AEW.  I'd seen some unimpressive kinda blah MLW matches, and thought they might be grossly overrated.  It took me a couple matches to accept some of the slightly goofier elements, but now I'm on board.  I think unofficially splitting the Luchas would be a great thing to help get over some of their excellent individual traits such as the spotlight noted on Fenix's swagger.  I suspect Pentagon has at least a couple singles battles coming up with Daniels, so here we go.  

On 11/21/2019 at 8:42 AM, Technico Support said:
  • Britt Baker and MJF have seriously got to lay off the spray tan.  Baker looked like Trump out there.  I say that with no hyperbole at all.  Girl was orange like Ben Grimm.  MJF was slightly less orange but still edging in to Oompa Loompa territory.
  • Billy Gunn admiring Sunny Kiss' ass was something else.  Who knew 2019 would give us a new, non-binary, non hetero normative ass man?
  • Kenny Omega's decent promo about needing to get back on track by defeating Pac (fuck you, that rhymes!) was derailed by his bench press humor.  Real misfire there.
  • They've done a tremendous job of giving us just enough Orange Cassidy every week without overexposing his somewhat limiting gimmick

I'm not so sure it's even a limiting gimmick - the soft strikes and hands in pocket are just some things he does.  He's getting over huge without even wrestling, not a surprise I fell in love with OC from the first time I saw him do his thing.  I like the slow build, and when he begins his first true singles campaign he's gonna shock a lot of critics (not saying you) and become a money drawing superstar.  I bet the Shadow knows this.    

And quoted a couple more excellent points there.  Oompa Loompa was my thought on MJF as well.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:44 AM, Lawful Metal said:

At least Britt Baker has a better sling blade than Seth Rollins.

Shouldn't Britt be a heel? She’s a goddamn dentist! 

I like and very much agree with this trash talking about the goddamned sling blade.  Horrible move.  I think Tanahashi is as great as ppl say, but his is as shitty as anybody's.  The only sling blade that isn't a groan for me is Pentagon Junior's.  I think it's because he seems to turn it almost into a bulldog.  But yeah, generally speaking a terrible move.  Maybe it's my 15 years away from watching wrestling regularly, but it looks to me like an untrained wrestler throwing a horrible clothesline.  Further...

On 11/21/2019 at 11:48 AM, Mr Harms said:

The sling blade is one of the worst looking moves in wrestling, in my opinion. It just looks like nothing. What makes it worse is how many people use it. 

On 11/21/2019 at 2:44 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Santana was supposed to pull the ref out of the ring. You can see where he’s positioned, and he tries to pretend that Santana touched him to cover it up.

Why in the fuck did Ortiz not just think to kick out?  It's not like kicking out of that pin would have ruined the match.  Certainly not as much as the botch did.  It's unfortunate as I thought they worked a nice little match prior to that.  Loved that trading off long vertical suplex display.  Such a neat spot.  Strangely, I felt like Private Party were disastrously green early on - especially the H2 match - an opinion which angered a few.  I feel like I'm seeing them get better all the time.  Here they weren't led as well as the Bucks led them, but I don't mind at all what they're bringing.  Santana/Ortiz are fantastic.  

On 11/21/2019 at 3:17 PM, paintedbynumbers said:

I will find the female wrestler who made a twitter post about it and DM you the post on here.  I heard her make remarks at both AIW and IWC shows personally and can also give you the accounts of others who have and can vouch for it that are workers and not fans.  If you look at my post history I've never had an issue with anyone else but if I see something I don't like I will speak up about it and when I know people who have personally worked with her and had nothing good to say about her it speaks volumes.  

All this Baker talk could very well be true, but what's the point of burying her as a person with such little actual fact to back it up.  That said, I'm all for criticizing her clear inabilities in the ring, I just don't get what you're trying to prove by burying her as a human being with hearsay. 

Also, no replacing her with Allie would not bring us any closer to a 'good match'.  Allie has been no better than Baker.  She's been maybe even worse than the Good Doctor.  Tho, on a side, outside of her tacky ring gear, last week on Dynamite in her street clothes she looked absolutely gorgeous.      

On 11/21/2019 at 7:09 PM, Custos said:

Mox admiring Darby’s balls in that amazing post-match promo. I know I harped on it for a while but they need to make sure that promo airs on Dynamite where the most people will see it, it was barely a minute but i had goosebumps with the Elite / GOAT line.

Can somebody link this promo back in here.  The previous link isn't working for me.  I like a loose Moxley/Allin alliance, but these two are lone wolves.  

On 11/21/2019 at 8:20 PM, Goodear said:

These are the types of matches that get hurt in the AEW universe from spot blowing as the paradigm shift off the top was a big deal but would be even bigger if Janella wasn’t doing avalanche package piledrivers to Marko Stunt. I liked the flow of the ending sequences of the coffin drop counter to the sleeper counter to the finish. 

I felt Moxley should have gotten a knee up or something on that coffin drop counter.  Didn't quite feel right, but certainly completely acceptable.  I also thought it was a bit much for Moxley to completely no sell the crossbody.  Again, just an elbow or something would have been a bit tighter.  I agree with what you're saying concerning too many avalanche moves, at least potentially the effect.  Here I didn't think it hurt at all.  The place popped huge for the avalanche paradigm shift.  As did I.

On 11/22/2019 at 1:50 AM, Oyaji said:

Watched that Flair/Lawler segment that Sky/Jericho lifted from and good God it is so tremendous. I love how they are just talking like how human beings talk and not caricatures.

Absolutely. 

I liked the Jericho-SCU segment, but what happened that dropped Sky?  Jericho pushing the microphone at him?  Doesn't seem, at least from this board, that Scorpio dropping to that hurt him, but my first thought was he looked weak being knocked down by what, again, looked to me like Jericho weakly pushing the mic into his head.  Not a solid strike, a soft push.  Regardless, good segment, looking forward to Sky-Jericho.  I like the earlier comment that AEW has set-up an environment where anything is possible, and that indeed there's reason (tho small) to think that Sky could defeat Jericho.   

On 11/22/2019 at 7:50 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wouldn’t mind a Billy Gunn tag team built up just to take the fall against the Jurassic Express(Luchasaurus & Jungle Boy). Billy is still is a mediocre singles worker, but tags are still his bread & butter if you saw him in New Japan.

Billy's got a son coming up that we saw at All In, correct?  I've assumed since AEW formed, and with Billy as involved, that we'd eventually see Billy and Son.  I said this before, I've never been much of a fan of the Ass man, but there is something endearing about Gunn working with AEW right now, and really dug his BR appearance.  Also looking forward to Wardlow killing him dead.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Billy's got a son coming up that we saw at All In, correct?  I've assumed since AEW formed, and with Billy as involved, that we'd eventually see Billy and Son.  I said this before, I've never been much of a fan of the Ass man, but there is something endearing about Gunn working with AEW right now, and really dug his BR appearance.  Also looking forward to Wardlow killing him dead.

Billy’s son Austin currently works for ROH. So that’s happening.

• Like 1

Britt is someone that (putting her other job that makes this highly unlikely aside) could really benefit from being in NXT or full time in Japan somewhere with a dojo. She's got obvious potential but working one night a week she's never going to develop. I totally get why AEW isn't doing house shows, but it's limiting for their greener performers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Britt is someone that (putting her other job that makes this highly unlikely aside) could really benefit from being in NXT or full time in Japan somewhere with a dojo. She's got obvious potential but working one night a week she's never going to develop. I totally get why AEW isn't doing house shows, but it's limiting for their greener performers.

This reminds me that her and several RISE wrestlers did a tour of Stardom last year. They were the unluckiest people alive with how many of them go injured either right before or during the trip. Only Dust made it out unscathed.

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

This reminds me that her and several RISE wrestlers did a tour of Stardom last year. They were the unluckiest people alive with how many of them go injured either right before or during the trip. Only Dust made it out unscathed.

I miss Stardom, but ever since they upgraded the website it literally gives me an error when I try to subscribe

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I miss Stardom, but ever since they upgraded the website it literally gives me an error when I try to subscribe

That is a shame since there has been plenty of good matches since the update. Have you tried contacting them about it? If you have maybe you should try again in a couple of months after the Bushiroad buyout is official. Hopefully there will be plenty more people behind scenes who could help.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

You’re right, and the danger is, if superior workers are showing her up and she still remains so featured, her gimmick hangs a lampshade on her inferior ring work (she does this part time, folks!) that is almost begging the crowd to turn on her.

@HarryArchieGus don’t know how to embed tweets but this is the link https://mobile.twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1197573811975143425

Edited by Custos
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2019 at 10:23 AM, Technico Support said:

If the argument is "Allin didn't take a pic with a woman because the prospect of "rats" skeeves him out, then "Bret did it" isn't the best argument in the "take pics" category.  Bret bagged more rats than the Orkin man. 

The argument is that Alin could've done a smidge more to represent his brand.

It's pretty simple, Darby didn't need to pose for a picture but he should have been told to acknowledge the fan in some way even if they are just on camera at the same time. Just like pulling the Orange Cassidy kid into the ring, it makes your crowd part of the show in a good way. Everyone noticed her, so its easy to capitalize on. No one is saying he needs to make out with her, but bring the crowd along with you when they want to go.

He is anti-cliche and his whole deal is that he doesn't trust or like people (this time of the year, he is the Little Drummer Boy). As Excalibur has said, it's not a gimmick. Maybe as he evolves, over time he could do something like that but the brother just came out in a body bag. 

tumblr_nk1hakraMW1tk496vo9_250.gifv

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Another guy who would have been fired in the territory days for not servicing the female clientele. 

I dunno, "married man refusing to cheat on wife with fan" is a pretty babyface move.