DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/20/2019

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

For context, NXT did 916k. AEW won every demo except 50+.

That is insane. So basically people over 50 put NXT over the top, but barely. I would love to know exactly why the 50+ demo is WWE's most hardcore demo. 

EDIT: Also, what I'm most interested in is if the total viewers for both shows increased from last week. I can't seem to find last weeks numbers and this website is moving slow again so leaving this page isn't really an option.

Edited by Craig H

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't say this to be confrontational as I'm cool with you.  But aside from personal experience do you have links to either other people's accounts of this from AIW or elsewhere or anything else to back this up?    In the age of "Fake News" (a term I abhor but I digress) be it with politics or wrestling whatever sources that are available for this would really help your case.  I just genuinely curious.  But as it is she's not that good at wrestling right now so I can't say I'm asking as a fan of hers.

I have overheard conversations myself where she trashed IWC's school and claims AIW as her trainer as well.

I like her as a person. Any interaction I've ever had with her has been positive. I won't back up any of the other claims made here tho. I've never heard her trash AIW. Nor have I heard of any inappropriate stuff to advance her career. She's worked hard to get where she is. It isn't her fault they have miscast her. She is not equipped to be the 20 minute epic baby face ace yet at this point in her career. Less is more. I just hope for her sake it works out okay in the long run.

It's not out of the realm of possibility they are force feeding her on purpose to try and create a hot Die Rocky Die heel. Unlikely, but not impossible. And even if it wasnt planned this way, they can still switch gears and make it work.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That is insane. So basically people over 50 put NXT over the top, but barely. I would love to know exactly why the 50+ demo is WWE's most hardcore demo. 

EDIT: Also, what I'm most interested in is if the total viewers for both shows increased from last week. I can't seem to find last weeks numbers and this website is moving slow again so leaving this page isn't really an option.

Because older folks have been watching the WWE since probably the 70's or got into in the 80's when their kids (us) were into it. I don't think this was so much a win for NXT. Maybe if they promoted who would be there and told us ahead of time Becky vs. Rhea, that number would have been over a million. It's kinda the same reason some people stick with soaps despite how bad it might have gotten. "Well, I've been watching since X date so I don't want to give up now just cause it's bad". 

AEW is so refreshing to watch though. It's not perfect, but stylistically is just so different than the WWE. Like in AEW I can think of at least five guys who could actually be World Champion and if those same 5 guys were in the WWE, they'd be lucky to get on Main Event. AEW is fantastic with presentation like that.

• Like 6

Forgot thoughts since watching last night, but thought this was another really great show. Fenix/Nick was a wild opener filled with crazy spots. Love Hikaru Shida, thought this was one of Britt's better matches and glad to see Shida move up, definitely look forward to a rematch with Riho with both being more established here. Epic pop for Billy Gunn! The highlight of the battle royal for sure. Billy as the giant of the match was the best. Of course the winners were the two whose entrances were not during the break. Fun Jericho/SCU segment. Luchasaurus squash was booked pretty perfectly, he is massively over. Santana & Ortiz vs. Private Party was a little rough towards the end but good. Another good job putting over Private Party but agreed with those questioning the booking of them losing to Best Friends. Main event was fantastic, they worked really well together and made for a perfect matchup. Loved the finish, and that crowd last night was *on fire* which made the whole show even better. Looking forward to next week, love a Thanksgiving week show feeling like a big deal

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

Anybody notice how jacked MJF was last night? I was wondering what he was doing since his in-ring hiatus.

I really like this potential Dark Order repackaging. Obviously inspired by Total Recall with the video in the subway train. I hope they have somebody talented in mind for Dark Order’s recruit. That should be used for a potential break out star, and not just for one of the jobbers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Anybody notice how jacked MJF was last night? I was wondering what he was doing since his in-ring hiatus.

I really like this potential Dark Order repackaging. Obviously inspired by Total Recall with the video in the subway train. I hope they have somebody talented in mind for Dark Order’s recruit. That should be used for a potential break out star, and not just for one of the jobbers.

I think some of us mentioned that it looked like he's been on some shit when we saw him at one of the 4 pre-TV BR Live/PPV shows.

people who turned 50 this year were around 14-15 when Brawl to End It All aired on MTV.

The 18-34 numbers: AEW 0.25, NXT 0.19

The 18-49: AEW 0.39, NXT 0.30

The 25-54: AEW 0.42, NXT 0.35

I suspect if the 35-49 numbers were known, we'd see that both shows are certainly making a lot of their ratings hay off of people who were teens during either the late 80s or late 90s booms. Because the people who were born from 1985 to 2001 don't seem to be giving anything huge ratings.

Also kinda fun that there's a money demo focus when you consider the history of pro wrestling and not really luring some advertisers because of preconceptions..

• Like 1

Random thoughts from the show:

- That opening match was so so good and absolutely delivered. I hope they go with a single Fenix run because he's just breathtaking to watch. Nick was excellent as expected too and made sense that he took the loss as Rey is the more experienced singles competitor. Best match of the night by far.

- Its crazy how much bigger wrestlers from the previous eras were compared to know. Even MJF who looks like a pretty built guy looked tiny next to Billy Gunn. When Gunn was standing right behind him it looked like an Incredible Hulk cover with the before and after transformation.

- Jericho's segment was great as usual, loved the use of Hager saying "sorry", funniest thing he's ever done. I was worried about Scorpio Sky being in the mic against Jericho but he came off really well. The reverse psychology they used to get Chris to make it a title match next week was great and Jericho's grin and delivery of "we shook hand! it's official" was just perfect. Marko stunt coming out after Jericho bullied him a bit backstage (during a commercial break I think) made sense and led to the big pop and stare down between Luchasaurus and Hager.

- PP vs PP dragged a bit for me. Had some good spots but it got a bit boring. I watch on Fite but did they really took 2 commercial breaks during this? Seems badly timed if that's the case.

- After the Omega match and last week's promo Moxley just feels on another level and comes off as a HUGE star. His entrance alone just makes him seem like a big deal. Loved that Darby brought the fight and they had a good match with a sick ending.

Great show again and not a bad episode so far.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 5

I love that they make it a point that Moxley's entrance is actually for a reason, that he doesn't want anyone to be able to sneak up behind him, instead of it just being because it's cool (which it is).

• Like 2

Mox admiring Darby’s balls in that amazing post-match promo. I know I harped on it for a while but they need to make sure that promo airs on Dynamite where the most people will see it, it was barely a minute but i had goosebumps with the Elite / GOAT line.

Mox and Allin would be great for a loose alliance based on mutual batshit craziness.

They played the underdog story perfectly during the match with Allin getting the fleeting upper hand with really impactful flying and mutilating Moxley’s hand, and it took a super finisher to kill him dead in the end.

Allin needs to show Quen how to dive at someone like you’re trying to flatten them.

Fenix takes the current mantle of ‘I’m actually watching Spider-Man in a wrestling ring’ that WCW Rey held dear in my teenage heart. I did like Nick’s kicks too.

Two hours flew by. And looking at the ratings, the combined viewership on Wednesday night is actually higher than 3rd hour of Raw from a couple of weeks back. Not to say that removing competition would give the other show 1.8m viewers but it looks like good Wednesday wrestling will be around for a good while to come.

• Like 3

Just watched Moxely v Darby and I really liked it.  Darby’s punches were wild and shitty and totally appropriate for someone in his position fighting for their lives.  I’m not sure the hand work really got as over as it deserved to but I appreciated it. These are the types of matches that get hurt in the AEW universe from spot blowing as the paradigm shift off the top was a big deal but would be even bigger if Janella wasn’t doing avalanche package piledrivers to Marko Stunt. I liked the flow of the ending sequences of the coffin drop counter to the sleeper counter to the finish.  It never felt ridiculous by overdoing kick outs while still making both guys look tough/clever. I would show people this match to sell them on Darby as a up and comer and Mox as a superstar.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, eikerir said:

Im glad Moxley is sticking with the pants look, I think it fit him better than the short tights. Kinda reminds me of Kano from the MK movie.

Also think it looks better than the blue jeans and tank top.  The hairline is going to be hard to deal with but I think this is his best look since he looked like a sewer rat when he first came to prominence.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Also think it looks better than the blue jeans and tank top.  The hairline is going to be hard to deal with but I think this is his best look since he looked like a sewer rat when he first came to prominence.

For some reason his current hair style and hair line makes me think of middle aged Grandpa Simpson 

latest?cb=20140216142539

Edit to add: I prefer his NJPW look and presentation overall, with the Goldberg-esque trunks and short boots combo.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Old people are generally less likely to try something new. (Which actually makes sense if you think about it.)

I'm 62, so I'm old enough to fall on the far side of the "50+" demo. I grew up watching Florida and Georgia wrestling, stuck with NWA through the Crockett era, and thought WWF was a dogshit clown show during their initial national push. I didn't come around at all to Vince's product until he put Bret Hart on top. The time came when WWF was the only game in town and so I watched it, fitfully. I haven't followed the current product on any kind of a regular basis for several years, aside from what I read about it on this site.

For the last two weeks, I've just happened to be alone in hotel rooms on Wednesday night and, with nothing better to do, have toggled back and forth between AEW and NXT. To me, the AEW show has been consistently better, both in presentation of angles and in-ring work. I'm not sure why my fellow old farts disagree, other than that they've never watched anything other than McMahon's product and so have no tools with which to evaluate professional wrestling.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1