AEW Dynamite - 11/20/2019

Dolfan in NYC

From Indianapolis, here's the preview for this week's Dynamite:

- Chris Jericho Makes A "Huge Announcement"

-  Jon Moxley vs. Darby Allin
- Dynamite Dozen Battle Royale
- Private Party vs. Proud 'N' Powerful
- Nick Jackson vs. Rey Fenix

The outcome of that battle royale could have three possible outcomes in my mind.

1. It’s PAC Vs. Page one more time.

2. What Bryan Alvarez predicted with a love triangle angle between Kip Sabian, Penelope Ford, and Joey Janela.

3. MJF winning it all to set up AEW’s version of “The Ring of Honor”, and to further add gasoline to the fire of MJF’s feud with Cody.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

There's also Hikaru Shida vs Britt Baker on Dynamite, and Big Swole vs Shanna on Dark.

I predict Shida beats Baker, Fenix beats Nick Jackson, and at least one match at this taping goes to a draw. So when Shadow also predicts any of that, you know where he git it from.

• Like 1

Everyone's hate of Britt is so weird to me.  If she's not ready to be in these long featured matches, AEW management should be the ones taking the heat for continuing to put her in them.

2 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Everyone's hate of Britt is so weird to me.  If she's not ready to be in these long featured matches, AEW management should be the ones taking the heat for continuing to put her in them.

It's unfortunate she got put into the Kylie Rae spot out of necessity.

• Like 1

If you lack experience and need ring time, is it better to wrestle one fifteen minute match or five three minute ones?

I hope they're building to Shida getting a title shot, but then again she wrestled Riho one on one at All Out and that wasn't too long ago. It was a really good match that everyone forgot about quickly. Although All Out had loads of good matches so it's understandable.

I'm of the opinion that its better to do what you're capable of and succeeding than overreaching and failing.  If you are a stand up comic, you don't start your career with 20 minute sets.  You start small and refine and build off that. Instead, they're exposing a talent who isn't ready for the amount of time she's getting and she's taking heat for it.  From a wider perspective, I think they'd be a lot better off doing two sub 10 minute singles matches than a 15-20 minute four way or tag.  For one, its simpler for people with less experience.  For two, it gives people a chance to build characters.

The rings seems tailor made for MJF to win. 

Allin vs Mox is going to be interesting. This should be a straight singles match and the start of what could be a year or two long slow-burn to build to a death match. Do they shoot the moon and have Allin pin him? 

Like others have said, my one complaint with Dynamite so far is that they really need to plan better when they have the split screen during commercial breaks. Tonight they missed out on 2 promos (Jericho walking backstage and Avalon walking to the ring) because of it. But then they give us stuff like Darby vs Mox and I instantly forgive them. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Like others have said, my one complaint with Dynamite so far is that they really need to plan better when they have the split screen during commercial breaks. Tonight they missed out on 2 promos (Jericho walking backstage and Avalon walking to the ring) because of it. But then they give us stuff like Darby vs Mox and I instantly forgive them. 

Felt like they had more commercials last night than any other night. All three of the big matches had commercial breaks in between. I don’t know what the actual running time was, but TNT might’ve sold more ad space in the past week.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

People have said that Baker has lack of experience.  She's been doing this for 5 yrs. She has more experience than Darby Allin.  I've seen her since her first match and about a year ago I posted about her when people thought she would be in NXT. A few people got pissy with me about it but what I said was true.  She has a horrible ego and in general is a shitty person. She wrestled for IWC and initially trained with them (same school that trained DJ Z, Elias, Wardlow,)  she eventually went on to AIW and picked up some training from Gargano and Candice.  She would shit talk AIW to everyone at IWC and in return shit talk IWC at AIW shows.   She would act and I believe still does like she was never trained by IWC.   She would make rumors up about female talent and refuse to work with them. When ROH had the women of honor tournament she begged them to be in it all over social media and they still didn't use her.   She was supposed to work a show in the UK and claimed she missed the plain due to bad weather and then posted pics at some formal dance here in Pittsburgh (we had no snow by the way).    

It would be one thing if AEW didn't have other women they could use or depend on  but they do. Why they go back to Brit all the time I'l never know. She hasn't improved in 5 yrs.  I'd be shocked if anyone could name 3 good matches that Brit was in that she made better.  She had 1 good promo in 5 years.   I'd love to see Ally, Penelope, Riho  get more tv time to develop but instead we got Botch Baker every week. 

• Thanks 2

About halfway through the show, I’ll watch the rest this evening. 

I wasn’t super aware of Rey Fenix prior to AEW, but along with his in-ring ability he has some serious swagger! He comes across as actually cool. Fun match between he and Nick Jackson. 

The blood helped make the Shida-Baker seem more intense. Shias is great in-ring but I’m struggling to understand her character and even her alignment. She’s full of smiles and plays to the crowd but is quite vicious and heelish in other ways. 

Battle Royale was fun, my highlights:

Everything OC, especially him sliding around using the ring ropes. 
Jungle boy grooming OC from outside the ring. 
Wardlow looking like a jacked Marty Scurll. 
Jungle boy climbing the outside of the ring post. 
MJF’s shit-eating grin and Billy Gunn’s anger at missing out on fun with Sonny Kiss and then OC. 

Thorry!  ?

I know they're in a ratings war but I can't stand the split screen.  Just psychologically, it takes me out of the match because I feel like, right or wrong, nothing important is going to happen during the break.  I feel like the Private Party/PnP match was not as great as I'd hoped for, but maybe it was good and the split screen for a large chunk of it just killed it for me.

Other stuff:

• SCU goading cartoon villain Jericho into getting what they want was tremendous.  Who knew the smarky smark wrestling company would be the one bringing back the buffoonish heel?
  • Britt Baker and MJF have seriously got to lay off the spray tan.  Baker looked like Trump out there.  I say that with no hyperbole at all.  Girl was orange like Ben Grimm.  MJF was slightly less orange but still edging in to Oompa Loompa territory.
  • Billy Gunn admiring Sunny Kiss' ass was somethign else.  Who knew 2019 would give us a new, non-binary, non hetero normative ass man?
  • Jackson vs Rey Fenix was balls-out amazing.  This is the style of AEW; essentially PWG dialed back just a bit.  I can understand traditionalists not being into it but I love me some video game wrestling, I guess
  • I'm still traditional enough to not really love a wrestling dinosaur, among the biggest guys on the roster, working a kung fu gimmick instead of chokeslamming dudes to death
  • Kenny Omega's decent promo about needing to get back on track by defeating Pac (fuck you, that rhymes!) was derailed by his bench press humor.  Real misfire there.
  • Ortiz went full heal by wrestling in those gross "five finger" shoes
  • Mox vs Allin was really good.  I enjoyed Allin's vignette that led directly to him being brought into the arena in a body bag
  • They've done a tremendous job of giving us just enough Orange Cassidy every week without overexposing his somewhat limiting gimmick
  • Baker vs Shida was acceptable.  Shida is a fucking STAR.  Baker hung with her well enough, but after Fenix/Jackson, she just looked so slow and clumsy
  • Great show overall.  I like how they understand that you don;t need every single wrestler on every single show every single week

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7