DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 11/20/2019

RIPPA

Here's the fatal flaw of this lame *BRAND SUPREMACY* stuff... who are the crowd supposed to cheer for? In previous years it made no sense because if you're a WWE fan, Raw & Smackdown are both WWE. And the rosters rotate so often there is NO DIFFERENCE. So who do the fans cheer for? Who is the face? Who is the heel? Now you throw in NXT. Okay in theory I could get behind WWE vs NXT because it's plausible main roster guys *could* dislike the "minor leagues" and NXT guys *could* dislike the main roster making more money or whatever. But it's Raw vs Smackdown vs NXT instead. It's too muddy. It's too artificial. There's no real brand to cheer. Its like a Survivor Series Match in the 90s that's Superstars vs Wrestling Challenge vs Action Zone.

So then it comes down to okay you're supposed to cheer for the performers you like. Shades of grey. All of that is fine in theory, but then the make the wrestlers really fucking stupid. Why would Shayna and her crew team up with their hated fucking rivals that they're fighting in a cage just cause some women with blue shirts and red shows show up? Makes me not want to cheer for any of those performers because there is no logic in that. No one wants to root for idiots. Characters that make out of character choices that don't make sense tend to turn off the audience, see Stone Cold joining McMahon and him cooling wayyyyy off immediately. A heel tun that made sense would have been fine, but they chose for him to join up with the one guy that his character would never logically team up with.

This show more than any other soured me on NXT as an alternative brand. They are literally no different than Raw or Smackdown now. Same formula. Same sound byte yelling commentary. Same illogical *BRAND SUPREMACY* booking. Listen there were some really good matches tonight. And some really fun moments. But I just can't get behind a show full of characters that do stupid things. That was never NXT before they decided to become an official third brand. Maybe I'm wrong, but a year or two years down the road this is going to be seen as a major mistake. AEW has the money to fight long term. And WWE just swallowed up their own alternative and decided to make it more like the rest of the sloppy illogical main roster brands. Which kills the edgy vibe NXT had. And it also further dilutes Raw & Smackdown because there's now three brands doing the same thing.

For clarification I'm not stating all of this as fact. This is just my opinion. There will be differing opinions and I'm okay with that. But just for me, this Survivor Series stuff is what officially turned me off of the NXT as an alternative. It's just WWECW again.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I just finished NXT a little bit ago and I agree with all of this. Man, in a matter of weeks, probably coinciding with this hamfisted build to Survivor Series, NXT has become a shadow of what it used to be. They were hitting a dip in storyline quality going into the 2 hour format, but all of the Survivor Series shit just makes this now feel like Raw or SD, but in a studio. If you're going to be a studio, you have to separate yourself from the other shows and be different. Look at NXT in years past. Hell, look at Powerrr now. Raw and SD are lame enough in big arenas, but with the tiny studio this shit is starting to feel like TNA. TNA tried to be like Raw or SD, but they're in the tiny Nashville studio or the tiny Guts arena and it just doesn't work. At least the booking for NXT isn't as bad as TNA. The booking is just tired and bland and the show isn't much fun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Wow, what?  That match dragged NXT to a dead halt.  Raiders looked like they were going to murder them in 30 seconds, which should have been the right result.  Instead that shit went on forever.  I felt like I was watching The Road Warriors sell for The Conquistadors.

To be fair I was multitasking with other things at the time so I didn't notice any particular drag. Really though how much of this is the match truly dragging, and how much of it is you not giving a damn about the Forgotten Sons? Blake and Cutler have been a solid team and are usually presented as a decent threat. Yet you compare them to the Conquistadors. That just isn't sensible.

• Like 1

Blake and Cutler are the dirt worst tag team in NXT. They are nearly as bad and useless as the short lived Moss and Tino tag team. Ryker is fine, the other two? Hard pass. It's like what we say about AEW in that not every match needs to go that long. That was the case here. Blake and Cutler are at the bottom of the totem pole as far as tag teams go. The Raiders should have run through them.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Blake and Cutler are the dirt worst tag team in NXT. They are nearly as bad and useless as the short lived Moss and Tino tag team. Ryker is fine, the other two? Hard pass. It's like what we say about AEW in that not every match needs to go that long. That was the case here. Blake and Cutler are at the bottom of the totem pole as far as tag teams go. The Raiders should have run through them.

Ryker is w/o question the worst member of the group. I'm not sure how you can even argue otherwise when they have had to redo finishes to his matches a couple of times at least.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

094_NXT_11202019EJ_35539--39b91f87757e81

Loved the Undisputed Era vs. The Revival in one of the best WWE matches all year. Now that's great shit!

God, can we PLEASE get them back in NXT? Are they doing anything on the main roster that is so important we couldn’t have them back in the one show where they actually were over and get to do shit like this match on the regular?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This NXT invasion angle has brought on some dope matches but it will be interesting to see if they move away from having RAW and SDLive guys on after especially with them beating AEW had a dope show following the last PPV. Outside of Post Mania shows fans dont get excited about post PPV shows anymore. Unless some really exciting stuff happens at SS  involving NXT, I don't see people feeling like they can't miss next week. They'll probably win the post SS episode but AEW will probably get the audience back until a week before the RR. These NXT guys a few of them will probably be working The Main PPVs and Takerovers too 

Edited by Ziggy

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

094_NXT_11202019EJ_35539--39b91f87757e81

Loved the Undisputed Era vs. The Revival in one of the best WWE matches all year. Now that's great shit!

Dash Wilder's black / white Minnesota Wrecking Crew striped boots are still Number One and The Best.

• Like 2