DVDVR Message Board

Weak members of a strong family....

TerjeRUN

Did Ross Hart ever wrestle in Stampede? Only match of his I've ever seen his he and Owen vs Fit Finlay and Rocky Moran in England, and I've heard Bret refer to him as not having been a wrestler. I know Dean never wrestled, Wayne only refereed that I know of.

BJ Annis married into the family and I've heard him described as a bodybuilder who wrestled occasionally which makes me think he was pretty bad. 

Ben Bassarab was another in-law, he wasn't really bad, just unremarkable.

50 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Did Ross Hart ever wrestle in Stampede? Only match of his I've ever seen his he and Owen vs Fit Finlay and Rocky Moran in England, and I've heard Bret refer to him as not having been a wrestler. I know Dean never wrestled, Wayne only refereed that I know of.

BJ Annis married into the family and I've heard him described as a bodybuilder who wrestled occasionally which makes me think he was pretty bad. 

Ross has just under 100 matches listed on Cagematch, Wayne has 20. I don't remember seeing either of them work.

Bassrab was okay. Did an All-Japan tour, had a few WWF matches as well. Once he got divorced from Stu's daughter, he was pretty much done in Stampede.

Can't recall any BJ Annis matches either.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

8 year Thread Necromancy might be a new record.

i'm just happy this version of the board has eight years of history saved. i remember that switchover and lamenting how much was lost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still remember Badd Company calling out Bruce Hart and Brian Pillman on an episode of AWA because Hart & Pillman were also called Bad Company. It was really odd, since AWA and Stampede had no relationship at that point. Nothing came of it and it was pretty much the only time Bruce Hart was talked up until the Hart Brothers v. King's Court at Survivor Series

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I still remember Badd Company calling out Bruce Hart and Brian Pillman on n episode of AWA because Hart & Pillman were also called Bad Company. It was really odd, since AWA and Stampede had no relationship attat point. Nothing came of it and it was pretty much the only time Bruce Hart was talked up until the Hart Brothers v. King's Court as Survivor Series

Jama

Oh man, I have no memory at all of this.  I was a big fan of both teams.  The Stampeders more so for Flyin Brian.  As a regular viewer of both the AWA and Stanpede, these two namesake teams locking horns was absolutely a dream match for me.  Tho I much preferred the DDP led Tanaka-Diamond team.  Now I’m wondering did Pat Tanaka and Pillman ever do battle?  Or for that matter did Paul Diamond and Pillman ever square off?  

To the topic, Bruce seems like an excellent choice.  I don’t remember thinking a whole lot of Keith either.  I assume I could be proven wrong on Keith tho.

On 4/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, Happ Hazzard said:

Dean wrestled according to Wiki. Also, IIRC from Bret's autobiography, Dean did the Amarillo loop for the Funks along with Bruce and Bret tagged along with them when Bret was a teenager.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:51 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

I'm pretty sure that the only one who ever thought Bruce Hart was any good was Bruce Hart. That's including his own family.

“His name is Bruce, right? What a stupid name. You have nine months, and you come up with ‘Bruce’?”

• Haha 4

On 4/7/2022 at 3:38 PM, cwoy2j said:

“His name is Bruce, right? What a stupid name. You have nine months, and you come up with ‘Bruce’?”

My favorite variant of this tried-and-true joke was Paul E. in WCW 1991 during a WCW Patriots match:

"Mr. and Mrs. Chip had nine months and the best they came up with was FIREBREAKER?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

My favorite variant of this tried-and-true joke was Paul E. in WCW 1991 during a WCW Patriots match:

"Mr. and Mrs. Chip had nine months and the best they came up with was FIREBREAKER?"

I remember Paul E. singing a song that Johnny B Badd wrote and it was hilarious. You read right. Paul E...singing...Johnny B Badd. 

• Haha 2

I never saw Gene in his prime so I can't really comment on him. But man Nick and Kelly were... vanilla? No that isn't it, Doug Somers was vanilla but solid and would bleed darn good for your dollar. The Kiniskis were... there? That's the best I can say

James

As someone who unfortunately bought a ticket and actually WENT to Survivor Series 93.  I can say from personal experience the worst Hart brother is indeed Keith.  Bruce at least THOUGHT he was something.  Keith Hart couldn’t sell refreshments in a heatwave.  Did no one coach him up on being a Hart?  Do some Bret stuff as a set up for a quadruple sharpshooter spot and go home.  

That show overall was basically snakebit for a menu of other reasons.  But Keith Hart was complete unremarkable shite.

6 hours ago, J.H. said:

Oh hey, which Kiniski kid was worse Kelly or Nick?

James

I remember Nick being a pretty good heel tag guy with Kevin Kelly managed by Madusa in the AWA. 

And honestly I don't remember ever seeing Kelly.

So Kelly was worse for me lol

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I remember Nick being a pretty good heel tag guy with Kevin Kelly managed by Madusa in the AWA. 

And honestly I don't remember ever seeing Kelly.

So Kelly was worse for me lol

Kelly had the candidate for worst promo ever in Mid-Atlantic that I believe started the "how not to cut a promo" thread which I genuinely can't tell if that makes him worse than Nick because he cut that promo or better than Nick because it was so bad that its more memorable than anything Nick did. 

And now I am bummed that I can't seem to locate that promo anywhere at the moment. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Kelly had the candidate for worst promo ever in Mid-Atlantic that I believe started the "how not to cut a promo" thread which I genuinely can't tell if that makes him worse than Nick because he cut that promo or better than Nick because it was so bad that its more memorable than anything Nick did. 

And now I am bummed that I can't seem to locate that promo anywhere at the moment. 

Fuuuuck now I want to see that promo too lol

I'll say it again...Slick Nick and Kevin Kelly were a pretty good heel team

• Like 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

IIRC, Kelly Kiniski didn't like the business. The Mid South loop likely contributed to that. 

Yeah, I do give him credit for having one of the most refreshing takes on leaving the business. I think SLAM Wrestling or another old-school wrestling website posted an interview with him a few years back and he straight up said the first week that he worked a non-wrestling job and was home in his bed at a reasonable hour every night and had a weekend to himself he knew he was never going back. 

• Like 2