DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/13/2019

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

JR's Hager slip was amusing. "Swagger.... er, Hager, whos got swagger, but is not Swagger"

This is going to be like Heenan always calling Ray Traylor Bossman no matter the gimmick WCW gave him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

JR's Hager slip was amusing. "Swagger.... er, Hager, whos got swagger, but is not Swagger"

I got a kick out of JR's Swagger slip and recovery. What really impressed me was JR referring to Jungle Boy as "Jungle Boy" Jack Perry only once. Once is alright, but I hate when tries to hammer you over the head with it multiple times.

• Like 1

You can tell he's one of Jungle Boy's greatest proponents. He's going to do anything and everything to make that kid a star. It's rather endearing. The nice thing with this company is they have so many potential breakout guys and gals (fewer imo) and we get to watch them flourish or fail (and hopefully adapt). The company will be supporting them too, not working against them which feels... different.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 10

Darby / Mox should be a decent little war.  I'm guessing that Mox will be the garbage match stip guy for this federation and the showdown with Alin will be another unsanctioned extravaganza.  Suits me just fine.

Bookers must've read the board last week and saw my reticence concerning SCU being the tag champs. 

I was surprised to see Le Champion himself eat a pin just to put SCU over.

Edited by J.T.

10 hours ago, eikerir said:

- Loved Kenny's dissapointed reaction and smirk when the doc said Mox was cleared. Such a real life feel, like when you see your ex already has a new partner and has moved on.

- While I wouldn’t say I thought it was super real, I did love this segment. Usually the cliche “...Lost the battle, but won the war” gets thrown around a lot in wrestling. Kenny lost the battle, and then afterwards he basically asked the doctor “Did I at least win the war?”.  Kenny’s face when the doctor gave him the bad news was priceless. Perfect character moment, and elevated the match afterwards for me.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

The “athleticism” trope is one I’m more aware of from soccer and how (normally older) commentators/pundits refer to players. Maybe it’s not an American/wrestling thing as much (I’m Irish).

It's an American thing, too.  Ross has always stressed "athleticism" above all else specifically when discussing black wrestlers.  Shelton Benjamin was a big one during Ross' WWE run.  You see the same thing in American football as well, where white QBs are lauded for their smarts and strategic acumen while black QBs only get credit for scrambling ability and physical skill. 

Some other notes:

• I, too, am coming around on Dark Order a little.  Giving Uno the mic is a huge part of it.  I'd still love to know some background on how they went from the happy go lucky goofballs to these evil perverts, but I'm in the minority here.  People seeing them for the first time in AEW don't know about that.
  • It was really conspicuous that they were trying to give more guys some mic time, which is great
  • Scorpio having the most lethal small package in AEW is wonderful
  • Like 3

I certainly wouldn't push Scorpio Sky that way as he doesn't burst off the page like some wrestlers whose athleticism is much more apparent like Marq Quen or Rey Fenix.  Sky has struck me as more of being well rounded where he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses but no glaring strengths either.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

It's an American thing, too.  Ross has always stressed "athleticism" above all else specifically when discussing black wrestlers.  Shelton Benjamin was a big one during Ross' WWE run.  You see the same thing in American football as well, where white QBs are lauded for their smarts and strategic acumen while black QBs only get credit for scrambling ability and physical skill. 

• Haha 5

I think my issue with the Dark Order is that they don’t wrestle in character to me. An evil cult is usually a dominant heel faction like the Wyatts but the Order wrestle like sneaky heels. I genuinely like Uno and Stu as a team but they aren’t intimidating. They need a heater BAD. 

I kind of like Uno specifically because he's a fat weasel cheater who throws all his goons (including Grayson really) in his opponents' way to avoid directly fighting someone.  They don't really have that elsewhere on the roster and it makes for a good visual when Luchasaurus knocks them all away.  I don't think they should be in the main event, but they make a decent undercard heel team for the Jurassic Express to beat on their way up the card.  They can also bounce back easily and build heat again just because they have a mob who can mug Private Party the week after the first feud ends.

• Like 4

SCU is just painfully corny, and having these two old goofy dudes running around with Scorpio Sky doesn't help, but Sky's also the epitome of Just Another Guy, and JAGs like him never get over unless something rare and drastic happens.

Re: The Dark Order, they probably do too many flippies, but Uno actually works like a heel with a size advantage should in a lot of cases, leaning on his opponents, doing back rakes and shit. They do need a third, though. If they wanted to add another heavy, that would be great.

This tag team division in general desperately needs the equivalent of the '91 Natural Disasters in it to work control segments against these high-flying tag teams in the division and then to sell the high-impact comebacks by being chopped down like sequoias. 

• Like 2

I guess the good thing about the Order is that they can easily add parts into the Creepers and if someone stands out, they can transition them out just as easily with a month or two break in between.

• Like 3

Scorp is way better than some of you give him credit for. He's not a JAG and he doesn't need to dump Kaz and CD. He should be the Kofi of the group and set out on a singles run while Kaz and CD do their tag team thing, winning the tag titles once or twice for a glory type of run.

I'm so fucking amped for Scorp vs Jericho. Part of me wonders, which variation of the Sting treatment they try and give Scorp. Do they have him go to a 30 minute draw with Jericho? Does he come ever so close to beating him ala Cena vs Angle? I also really hope they do the match at the Thanksgiving Eve show.

• Like 2

Re: SCU, the reason they don't excite me is that they're basically the same veteran gatekeeper team they've been for seven years, just with Sky and a lame sing-song routine thrown in. Maybe Sky has more to offer, but I've seen a lot of SCU for the last couple years and I haven't seen it yet. I'd have gone with a more exciting team than the veteran gatekeepers as the first champs. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2

Darby vs. Spears vs. Peter Avalon: WTF was with Excalibur claiming Three Way bouts are no DQ?  Really, since when?  Really really bad adlib there to explain the lack of DQ on Janela's mid-match interference.  I think everybody would have been fine with Audrey admonishing the situation and then calling for the match to continue as to declare a winner.  Further, such a simple but excellent angle set-up between Moxley's excellent opening promo and Darby's excellent 2 word promo.  Darby Allin is great and getting better and better with each passing week.  

Also, Peter Avalon's opening bellyflop was 'frickin' awesome.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

34 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Darby vs. Spears vs. Peter Avalon: WTF was with Excalibur claiming Three Way bouts are no DQ?  Really, since when?  

... Since always. How do you declare a winner if you disqualify only one of three people?

• Like 2