DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/13/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I thought it was a fun night.  JR seemed less shitting on things than he usually does, Tony continues to be fun.  I loved the "he should drop the J" comment when MJF came out to gloat.  Jericho really feels like the mvp of the promotion with his mic work.  Laughed hard at the slow door close by LAX on Cassidy.  Hyped for Darby/Mox.  Enjoying the show and Wednesdays as a whole.

Marko and Jungle Boy = Shaun and Steve Simpson 3k 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Don't stick up for those trolls. Like Punk, I'm sure they're also back and can speak up for themselves. 

Well sometimes the EN090’s, and Gonzalez’s of the world make excellent points. I’m just persevering these statements for future generations. 

5 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Sammy Guevara looks like Alex Wright only 500% sleazier and I am here for it all the time.

I also get a bit of a “real rocknrolla” Prince Devitt vibe from Sammy. His face being a cross between Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber just adds to the hateable. 

The thing I’m digging most on these shows is how much the performers seem to be enjoying themselves. It’s infectious. Jericho looks like he’s loving every minute, and he should. He’s doing incredible work. 

JR (while more enthused) still bothers me. Between constantly comparing PAC to the only 2 British wrestlers he can think of, always referring to the “athleticism” of Scorpio Sky and the discomfort you could feel from Excalibur and Schiavone when he referred to Danni Jordan as looking like a power lifter. He just seems like a dude out of time. Schiavone on the other hand has a way of acknowledging he’s from a different era but being open to new ideas. 

Really looking forward to Darby/Mox next week. Love me some plucky underdog Darby!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I also get a bit of a “real rocknrolla” Prince Devitt vibe from Sammy. His face being a cross between Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber just adds to the hateable. 

JR (while more enthused) still bothers me. Between constantly comparing PAC to the only 2 British wrestlers he can think of, always referring to the “athleticism” of Scorpio Sky and the discomfort you could feel from Excalibur and Schiavone when he referred to Danni Jordan as looking like a power lifter. He just seems like a dude out of time. Schiavone on the other hand has a way of acknowledging he’s from a different era but being open to new ideas.

I totally can see your Devitt comparison for Guevara. The difference between the two is that Devitt was a fuckhead that I wanted to like because he was so cool, whereas Sammy really nails down the "hate me" vibe.

Is "athleticism" coded language for "black dude"? Like, I get how you could make that point, but that is a thing that I am unfamiliar with.  And the power lifter thing, is that because she was thick through the bottom half? I don't have any idea what a powerlifter should look like beyond that Mark Henry / Scott Norton / Ted Arcidi body type, I have no idea how that translates to a woman's body.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Is "athleticism" coded language for "black dude"? Like, I get how you could make that point, but that is a thing that I am unfamiliar with.  And the power lifter thing, is that because she was thick through the bottom half? I don't have any idea what a powerlifter should look like beyond that Mark Henry / Scott Norton / Ted Arcidi body type, I have no idea how that translates to a woman's body.

The “athleticism” trope is one I’m more aware of from soccer and how (normally older) commentators/pundits refer to players. Maybe it’s not an American/wrestling thing as much (I’m Irish). 

I think my basic issue is how JR seems to take a very shallow look at people and whatever is most obvious to him physically will colour how he describes them (rather than their character). PAC = British, must be like other Brits. But PAC’s Britishness isn’t really part of his character. Hope I’m making sense. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Not only did JR refer to Full Gear as Fully Loaded, and brought up Hager’s previous name, but he also called Rick Knox “ Mike Knox”. A wrestler who I believe JR only called about five matches of his.

Did he do that Saturday as well or are things just starting to bleed together in my head?

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Random thoughts:

- Loved Kenny's dissapointed reaction and smirk when the doc said Mox was cleared. Such a real life feel, like when you see your ex already has a new partner and has moved on.

- I'm really starting to like a lot of AEW themes after a few weeks of becoming familiar with them. Mox's is a banger.

- I lost my shit when Darby said "Moxley...". Great two word promo that got me extremely hyped up.

- I feel Spears is dead in the water right now. People like Janela but no one seems to care about this at all.

- Jericho and MJF were gold together, perfect asshole vs. asshole promo. I was cracking up at the "do you want me" / "do you want to" exchange. Showed both guy's massive egos, both wanting the same thing but wanting the other guy to say it. 

- Pac and Page brought it again. Gimme Page doing spinning lariats every week and I'm a happy guy. My current favourite move in AEW.

- How over is Orange Cassidy? When he eventually has his first match the crowd is gonna explode.

- Same goes for Luchasaurus (who looked in amazing shape) and the Jurassic Express. 

I was very sports entertained tonight.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Here's the thing: Dark Order have had good matches two weeks in a row, after having bad matches before that. Part of it, I think, is just AEW getting better at having tag rules enforced and more clearly drawing heel/face lines for them.

What were the bad matches?  They’ve been solid in every match they’ve been in.  Glad to see most of the irrational hate has subsided.  I suspect the ball will keep rolling.    

Also, Stu Grayson looks like a bizarre lunatic.  I see nothing wrong with his look.  

@Fighting a man with a perm I completely agree with your comments concerning  JR.  I think it would do a world of service to the product to sit him down and just tell him to be more positive. And cut out the needless bitching.  Enough already.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Most of the hate for Dark Order came from AEW not expanding on their characters (even though they've only been on TV like three times since Dynamite debuted), and this weird irrational hatred of Uno and Grayson's ring attire/physical appearance. I guess I get the Stu Grayson complaint, since he looks like a gladiator and it doesn't fit in with the rest of the gimmick, but wanting Evil Uno to wear more flattering ring attire is weird. Those people got their wish, but I always thought Uno wrestling in just some long tights with his big potbelly was awesome, since his entire schtick is that he's a weird and creepy motherfucker, and that just added to the sleaze factor.

The only bad match I can think of that they've had (for me personally) was the three way tag team match at Fight For The Fallen against Hybrid2 and Jurassic Express. But even then, it wasn't boring or bad, or anything like that. It just wasn't super engaging. To be fair, that entire show was kind of lackluster. Of the two free shows we got this year, Fyter Fest was a lot better all around, I thought.

Edited by Casey

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

I pointed out a few posts ago that the Bucks and PnP were brawling backstage at the time Cody went out and got beat down.

Regarding PAC and Page, people keep saying this is 50/50 booking, which is incorrect. This was their third match. The announcers played it up as PAC winning the series between he and Page. Even before the match last night it was played up as the third meeting between the two and they were at 1 win a piece. Does no one remember that they've wrestled twice before? And it isn't so much that PAC got his win back, it's just him getting 1 up in the series.

What I liked most about this match is that each of their matches are telling a longer story. Page didn't fall for the same tricks PAC pulled on him in the second match and wound up winning. Page remembered that in the third match, including reversing the brainbuster outside the ring, but PAC busted out some new twists and turns and wound up winning in a totally different way by stomping Page's brains into mush. I want them to just go to a best of 7 series now.

Yeah, that's the logical endgame. It's very much an Oudou style series condensed into a short feud with how they're evolving with each other, bringing counters to counters. I know Page is likely to get the last laugh but I think they should avoid going all in on him again too early. There is no shame losing to Pac 4 times out of 7 if they do indeed go with a best of 7. 

This show made me realize that I have very little interest in most of the younger guys they're pushing other than MJF, unless we're also counting Luchasaurus as young here. 

Well, there's Hangman Page, too. On the other hand, the women have a bunch of interesting prospects. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

From what I saw this get much less ‘try to blow everyone away with matches’ and working towards storylines instead. I’m glad they finally let MJF talk on the show (although I get why since his heel charisma is so pronounced). It was a good idea to let him and Jericho talk since they may not have that opportunity for a while with Cody transitioning away from the Inner Circle.

Moxley and Rose squashes make sense here in order to smash them over. I’m less sold on Kong and Brandi’s angle as Kong looks like she’s lost a lot of steps.  Sure that can work to get someone else over, but I’m not a believer in Riho being that person.  I’m not who that would be.

Dark Order seems like good coming out opposition for the proper Jurassic Express to start building some steam. I’m excited to see them build some momentum.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

The only bad match I can think of that they've had (for me personally) was the three way tag team match at Fight For The Fallen against Hybrid2 and Jurassic Express. But even then, it wasn't boring or bad, or anything like that. It just wasn't super engaging. To be fair, that entire show was kind of lackluster. Of the two free shows we got this year, Fyter Fest was a lot better all around, I thought.

Awes, I really liked that match almost entirely because of them (well and Luchasaurus' hot tag). They're great. They just desperately need something better for their Putties to wear.

Awesome to hear about the bump in the ratings. Any word on the buyrate? I haven't looked at the Observer yet.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Casey said:

Most of the hate for Dark Order came from AEW not expanding on their characters (even though they've only been on TV like three times since Dynamite debuted), and this weird irrational hatred of Uno and Grayson's ring attire/physical appearance. I guess I get the Stu Grayson complaint, since he looks like a gladiator and it doesn't fit in with the rest of the gimmick, but wanting Evil Uno to wear more flattering ring attire is weird. Those people got their wish, but I always thought Uno wrestling in just some long tights with his big potbelly was awesome, since his entire schtick is that he's a weird and creepy motherfucker, and that just added to the sleaze factor.

I remember that three way match being not great, but not bad, and the Dark Order reeling in their opponents whom were all over the place.  It was also marred by Marko Stunt's interference which the referee did absolutely nothing about.  Edit: I see @Oyaji beat me to it.

I mostly agree with what you're saying here, but I think the bizarre nature of Grayson's gladiator look is completely on point with the character.  I believe he believes he's a gladiator.  Or is this guy who thinks it's cool to look like a gladiator and if you don't like it he'll be happy to kick the fuck out of you.  I really like how odd he and Uno look together yet, to me, seem perfectly matched.  I also think Uno's new look is an improvement.  I kinda liked how outlandish Uno looked with that big white belly, but he definitely has a greater chance getting over with his new 'top'.  Very obviously, I'm a huge fan of these Quebecers.  I love their ridiculous gimmick and fantastic moveset.  I love Grayson's intensity and reckless diving.  I love the way Uno uses his weight and the crispness to everything he does.  I'll stop there and accept that they aren't for everybody.  I am however very pleased so many ppl are jumping on their preverted bus.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

Either way: vest or not, Stu being a gladiator or whatever - I've been down with the Dark Order since Double Or Nothing. All of ya'll are just playing catch up with me! ?

I was on the Super Smash Brothers bandwagon, and I like them more as The Dark Order. I like that the gimmick is being expanded on. They needed vignettes explaining their background from the beginning. I hope they continue their recruiting efforts.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

Changing tack, I think the thing that's hurting SCU is the same thing that hurt the New Age Outlaws - nothing they do in the ring is as over as their pre-match microphone work. Live crowds love that call and response catchphrase thing, but you need spots to build to that are as over as that (or to incorporate call and response catchphrases into your moveset, like the Dudley Boys). On the fite stream, it was really obvious how much the crowd died on SCU once they finished their schtick and it went to break. Daniels tried to do an Introducing the Band bit using his old TNA catchphrases, and it just died on the vine. Then Guevara and Jericho got a babyface reaction coming out, more for the fact that the boring bit was over.

Also, after they blew whatever the finish to the Best Friends match (in the first round of the tag tourney) was supposed to be, they went to the easier to time SCU later, which kind of feels more like a nearfall move than a finish, to me. In a show with plenty of people getting hit or kicked in the head, this doesn't seem like an especially crushing blow compared to the rest of the AEW roster moveset.

• Like 1