DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/13/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I thought this episode was pretty solid but didn't have too many dynamic matches outside of the PAC/Page match, which wasn't even as good as their match at Full Gear.  I'm not sure why they even booked that match again after Page won clean and it felt like 50/50 especially with the, IMO, flat finish.  Who gives a shit that Page won on Saturday now?

Nyla looked better than she ever has and probably because her opponent sold and bumped well for her (despite her strikes looking like shit).

Luchasaurus returning was great and, looking at him, I hope he doesn't tear anything else anytime soon.

I do not want to see either Brandi or Kong wrestle at anytime.  Their build-up is decent but Brandi I imagine still stinks in-ring.

The PnP angle was great and did an amazing job of setting up their match with Private Party.  Good booking for that one especially since it also sets up for the inevitable return match with the Bucks.

Going into the main, I thought they were going to pull a WWE and take the belts off of SCU so soon but I'm glad they didn't.  Hopefully, they don't immediately sign some singles match with Sky and Jericho and have Jericho win.  They need to let this simmer and keep them apart for a while.

Also, that MJF promo was great and furthered the story well.  I'm still confused on whether he is Inner Circle.  I hope he isn't since Inner Circle already has a big man badass, and Hager doesn't need to be overshadowed by anyone right now.

Really fun show tonight. I love the angles being set up. It was great to see Luchasaurus return. I'm glad to see The Dark Order finally get the reaction they've needed. 

I'm looking forward to Darby vs. Moxley. I figured Darby would be the one to accept the challenge.

The MJF/Jericho dueling promo was gold. I'm really glad they didn't go the easy route with MJF joining the Inner Circle. MJF is a star. He doesn't need Jericho talking for him and get lost in the shuffle. Great debut for Wardlow. A guy his size is perfect as the muscle for MJF to hide behind.

I like the Janela/Spears feud continuing. Janela needs to go over in the end. 

I wish the main event got more time. It was absolutely the right result. Scorpio Sky is going to be another early breakout star. I'm curious to see how much he slows it down for Jericho when they have their one-on-one match.

So far, you definitely can't say the Elite aren't willing to put others over to make new stars.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Spoiler

Dustin Rhodes on commentary

The Young Bucks vs El Lindaman & T-Hawk

Big Swole & Kris Statlander (!!!) vs Britt Baker & Riho

Private Party vs Best Friends

They're finished taping the rest of Dark, so here's the complete card for next Tuesday. Fuckin' stacked.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Casey said:

It's still ongoing, but in case anybody is wondering what's on tap for Dark next week:

Hide contents

Dustin Rhodes on commentary

The Young Bucks vs El Lindaman & T-Hawk

Big Swole & Kris Statlander (!!!) vs Britt Baker & Riho

Wut?!?! I thought that person was headed elsewhere?

Kenny isn't cleared. Cody isn't cleared. The Bucks were laid out by P&P. And Hangman was knocked out before the finish of the Pac match. Dustin Rhodes has a broken arm. All of the Elite are on the shelf right now, and the Nightmare Family is basically finished. The top active babyfaces in the company are Scorpio Sky/ SCU, Darby Allin, Jurassic Express and Private Party (Mox is a tweener).

That's a commitment to making new stars right there.

• Like 7

Does anyone know what was up with the ring acoustics tonight? Normally they sound good and balanced, but they signed like someone dropped the TV mic into the canvas or something. Sounded awkward. Really bothered me.

I would say go ahead and book Scorpio Sky vs. Jericho one-on-one for a future TV match. It doesn't have to be for the title, but it would be a neat way to build off of this matchup since Scorpio Sky got a clean pinfall on Jericho.

52 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Ehhhh... Another little bleach blonde lady. I’m with the perv from last week. Give me more tall-ish thick ladies.

Ha! The original statement wasn't perverted at all.

Then it slowly went downhill from there. 

They did a great job mixing up the formula with some solid squash matches that had purpose, promos/angles, while still feeling action packed all the way through. I think there were 4 matches in the first 40 minutes. Loved how much got set up for next week and beyond. Epic pop for the return of Luchasaurus, hot crowd all night. Great way to get Darby back in the mix, him and Moxley should be awesome. Big debut for Wardlow. Loved the Bucks/Proud&Powerful brawl leading in to a set up for Ortiz & Santana vs. Private Party next week. Pac/Page was good stuff as usual, was surprised to see Pac win again and it did feel a bit 50/50 from the PPV unless the feud is to continue still which is fine with me. Fun main event, good having Daniels back, the SCU theme rules.

Noticed JR slipped up calling Full Gear "Fully Loaded" a couple times tonight. Looking forward to more next week, I dig how they've promoted upcoming shows in advance, always making the city they're in stand out more with a bit more emphasis on where they are headed each week.

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wut?!?! I thought that person was headed elsewhere?

I thought it was later said that they turned down the offer.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

I’m gonna write up a more detailed synopsis later but I wanna say this while it’s on my mind... 

By the way Jericho reacted at the end of the program this has to lead to a championship defense. 

They want to make the Thanksgiving Eve show something special and word around town is the tickets are moving slower then expected. 

Jericho vs Sky at Sears with a build could possibly move tickets. Announce the match on Twitter tomorrow, hopefully they taped reactions from both Sky and Jericho after the show so they can air them on Dark, do a contract signing next week, Jericho can claim it was a fluke over compensates by agreeing to a title defense, Scorp can take it super serious as one should, video packages the works and see if ticket sales move or not.

Also if they do actually want Thanksgiving Eve to have a SuperCard feel they should announce either Cody and a returning Dustin or Cody and The Hangman vs MJF and Wardlow.

• Like 1

I really liked what they did with Kenny tonight.  He was beat up pretty good and they showed his battle scars,  he wasn't cleared for tonight but he wanted to know how beat up Moxley was and when he found out that Moxley was cleared you could see the wheels turning.   

The match didn't "count" but it actually does count way more than most normal matches either man could have had.  They went to war and Kenny was fine with being on the shelf if Mox was as well.  But he wasn't and now Kenny has to do some soul searching. 

On the other side Moxley looked rejuvenated and at the top of his game.  The aftermath of a match that doesn't "count" is weighing more on both men than any singles match would have done. 

• Like 1

Man, SCU is kind of flat and I honestly don't blame the crowd for not getting into them. Their shitty take on a tired ass intro from 20 years ago is lame as fuck. The blatant pandering to the audience in said intro may be worse. They're all technically fine wrestlers who have never engaged me emotionally once. None of them have a superstar aura about them. They're trying to do something with Scorpio, and he was obviously the guy Tony was talking about when he was asked about two blonde guys fighting for the title at All Out. However, the crowd isn't really buying it. SCU were booed by a pretty decent chunk of the audience when they went over the Lucha Bros for the tag titles (that was on the booking for trying to make Penta and Fenix heels) and the crowd went mild when Scorpio got the cradle on Jericho. I won't go so far as to say they are to the men's roster what Britt Baker is to the women's but it doesn't exactly feel earned. Scorpio has a lot of the tools but hasn't put them together in a meaningful way. Daniels and Kazarian's technical proficiency but lack of emotional depth has certainly rubbed off on him. 

This may have been my least favourite episode to date but it was a mixed bag rather than overly negative. There was a real lack of flow in the first hour with several squashes and long angles/promos. Jericho biffed it on the powerslam and that kind of killed the heat of what should've been a huge angle. MJF didn't really say anything memorable and then went into a comedy routine with Jericho. Wardlow looked dope tho. Darby looked faster than he usually does and that's saying something. Accepting Mox's promo pumped me up, I'll say that much. Pac and Page basically cut off the opening third of their matches and did as close of a sprint as Pac will allow these days. I really enjoyed it and I'm glad that they're not putting Pac on the back burner. He's the complete package but unfortunately can't be the top heel in the company yet. 

• Like 3

BTW, what kind of lousy friends are Page and the Bucks, Wardlow's out there hanging their friend and they're nowhere to be found?!  Should have had the Bucks beatdown before the Cody-Jericho segment and you can explain away Page's absence because of his impending match.  But NO one coming out to help Cody makes it seem like MJF was right about him.

Another bone to pick on an otherwise decent show that had maybe too many beatdowns in the last hour (Again, could have fixed the above logic-hole and the two beatdowns so close together by opening the show with Bucks-LAX (I don't want to call them Proud and Powerful)) is that it was weird how the announcers really undersold the fact that Nakazawa is Omega's friend/protege/annoyance who was standing up for his friend/mentor/annoyee by throwing down his oil to try to avenge Omega's maiming.  Instead it was like "He's throwing away the oil" "Blah blah baby oil?" "Blah blah stuff is happening later."  It just seemed like very obvious storytelling details that the announce team completely whiffed on.

Every time I see people complaining about the Dark Order, I always find myself thinking that they're pretty cool, but every time they wrestle, I completely lose interest/get distracted and realize after the bell rings that I have never actually watched one of their matches in full.  The whole masked cult leaderish guy with unnamed masked disciples totally appeals to me, but I feel like Dick Grayson's (I know!) whole get-up and name don't work with the gimmick and Evil Uno's wrestling style doesn't really work as the leader of the group and it should all be right up my alley but just never comes together.  It's missing something.  A third member might tie it all together.  Or maybe just Kevin Sullivan to manage them.  You know who would have been great as their muscle/heater?  Punishment Martinez.

I love Sammy Guevara.  I think he's going to be a big, big star.  He just seems like he has it.  Character-wise, he reminds me of early Miz where you just want to see him get the crap kicked out of him with his posing and smirking, and the tongue thing, and the chewing gum thing, but he's a better athlete than the Miz.  As long as he stops landing on the crown of his head on Germans (That was nasty), I think he could be big.

One more nitpick: why is nobody else coming after the World Title?  You've got Jericho winning a contentious World Title match against an opponent who says he won't challenge again if he loses, and all these guys coming off major wins like Moxley and Page aren't declaring themselves as coming after the world title or even wanting the world title (Moxley basically challenged people to come after him instead of saying "I want to be the champ!").  It makes things a little too storyline-y or pre-scripted if NO ONE talks about wanting to win the World Title because they're planning on Scorpio pinning him and doing a mini-program in the main event.  

All that aside, I DID like the show, honestly.  Just a handful of things I thought were handled poorly that could have made things a little better.

• Like 2