DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2019 - WEEK ELEVEN

Dolfan in NYC

59 minutes ago, CSC said:

Yea - that reeks of the NFL thinking the rest of the season or only 6 games won't sound like enough, so he's "suspended indefinitely", will appeal and be back on the field for the first game of next year. 

As far as Pouncey, pretty much this...

I bleed Black and Gold but I figured he’d get 2 or 3 games so he’d be out for the rematch in two weeks. 

Also if Garrett’s suspension goes into next season I can see the NFL scheduling both Steelers-Browns games early in the season before Garrett comes back. 

I was never much of a fighter growing up (I think I was in three fights in my life, two which were broken up basically immediately) but I'm fairly sure if, back when I played football, I would've reacted the same way Pouncey did to that situation. I might've gotten my ass kicked, depending on who was in the Garrett role, I was no bad ass, but I don't think I would even have considered anything, just jump the fuck at the guy trying to kill my teammate.

(Ironically, one of those two broken up immediately fights with the quarterback...)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CSC said:

He instigated the fight by being held onto and ridden into the ground well after the ball was gone when the game was completely out of reach?  Uh sure.

"That guy pushed me so I bludgeoned him over the head with this blunt object.  It was his fault, officer!"

Do you know why fighting is illegal?  If we could trust everybody to abide by Marquess of Queensberry Rules, it wouldn't be a problem.  But we can't, because fighting means different things to different people.  I grew up in a broke ass, country part of northern Ohio and people are more than willing to fight you at a moments notice.  The thing people quickly realize are there are some people who don't differentiate between punches, to kicks, to baseball bats, to whatever the fuck they can pick up.  If you go around picking fights with people, you might run into one of those dudes.  The crazy part is those dudes tend to be the nicest people who never start anything, but once it starts all bets are off.  You shouldn't be able to start fights with people and get off scot free  when the fight turns into something you didn't expect.  

• Like 2

Rudolph absolutely had a hand in what happened by whatever he was trying to do once his helmet was ripped off, but that still doesn't making him getting his helmet ripped off and then beaten with it justifiable, no matter what fighting means to anyone. 

It was an overreaction to a situation that Garrett himself started and now he's being punished for it.  

Edited by CSC
  • Like 2

The comedic part is that the whole thing started because Garrett felt the need to talk shit and taunt Mason Rudolph in the first place over the fact that the Browns had just managed to beat a team QB'ed by Mason Rudolph. Cleveland Browns=commitment to flatulence.

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, CSC said:

Rudolph absolutely had a hand in what happened by whatever he was trying to do once his helmet was ripped off, but that still doesn't making him getting his helmet ripped off and then beaten with it justifiable, no matter what fighting means to anyone. 

It was an overreaction to a situation that Garrett himself started and now he's being punished for it.  

I never justified it, but he doesn't get hit if he's not going after Garrett.  The entire situation could have been avoided if he doesn't try to rip off Garrett's helmet after being held down.  That's when it went from a penalty to a fight and once the fight started he was an active participant.  There is no way we get this far without his participation and that is why he should be suspended.  He picked a fight with someone who decided to hit him with a helmet, there really was no way to predict that, but he was actively pursuing that fight.  

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I never justified it, but he doesn't get hit if he's not going after Garrett.  The entire situation could have been avoided if he doesn't try to rip off Garrett's helmet after being held down.  That's when it went from a penalty to a fight and once the fight started he was an active participant.  There is no way we get this far without his participation and that is why he should be suspended.  He picked a fight with someone who decided to hit him with a helmet, there really was no way to predict that, but he was actively pursuing that fight.  

You literally keep justifying Garrett's actions. You did in your previous post and you're doing it again here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You literally keep justifying Garrett's actions. You did in your previous post and you're doing it again here.

I never said he acted appropriately, he did something wrong and should be suspended for the rest of the season.  He was also in a fight with someone and that person isn't being suspended even one game.  That isn't justification.  Once you are in a fight, you are in a fight and you should be suspended for fighting.  Rudolph should be suspended for fighting, just because Myles Garrett went above and beyond doesn't excuse Rudolph for fighting.  He was an active participant in the fight.  You shouldn't hit someone with a helmet, that's not a good thing to do.  You shouldn't punch someone.  You shouldn't kick someone.  You probably shouldn't push someone.  But once the fight starts, you have to deal with whatever that person throws at you.  That's the danger of getting into fights.  You can't predict what happens in a fight, so you have to punish people for fighting.  Once the fight starts, everyone involved needs to be suspended.  The punishments should go up from there, but once the fight starts and you decide to participate you should have to sit down for at least a game.  Myles Garrett being the type of person who will literally try to kill you in a fight doesn't mean that Mason Rudolph didn't want to participate in that fight.  He did, and that should be a suspension.

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

Do you know why fighting is illegal?  If we could trust everybody to abide by Marquess of Queensberry Rules, it wouldn't be a problem.  But we can't, because fighting means different things to different people.  I grew up in a broke ass, country part of northern Ohio and people are more than willing to fight you at a moments notice.  The thing people quickly realize are there are some people who don't differentiate between punches, to kicks, to baseball bats, to whatever the fuck they can pick up.  If you go around picking fights with people, you might run into one of those dudes.  The crazy part is those dudes tend to be the nicest people who never start anything, but once it starts all bets are off.  You shouldn't be able to start fights with people and get off scot free  when the fight turns into something you didn't expect.  

Yep.

I've always told my kids that if someone wants to start a fight with you in the street then there are no rules and there is no referee. If you need to gouge eyes or stomp crotches to put someone down then you go right ahead.

Thankfully we live in a great part of the world where the odds of that happening are at an absolute minimum, but the idea of a fight being 'fair' outside of a boxing ring/octagon etc is silly.

So there has been reports the last week or so about the NFL and NFLPA working towards a new CBA

First reported by Mark Maske in the Wash Post was that it appears that a 17 game season is going to happen. Along with 2 more teams in the playoffs. (Of course - players claimed they are nowhere close)

Jason La Canfora reports today (among other things) how the 17 game season would work

- Season would still start the weekend after Labor Day

- Super Bowl would now be played on the last Sunday in February (TV broadcasters have long wanted the playoffs in Feb due to Sweeps)

- Teams would have 2 bye weeks

- The "17th" game would be an "international" game for every team (8 games in London, with the Jags playing there twice). Other International cities to be looked at would be in Ireland, Germany, Mexico and Brazil. They would also look at cities that don't have an NFL team (Hawaii) or huge college football towns (Alabama, Notre Dame)

- The "17th" game would be marketed as its own separate TV deal that would be streaming only (with only the in-market cities getting the game on TV)

- Preseason would only be 2 games

- Rosters would expand and the threshold for getting credit for a season would be lowered (thus making it easier for players to get a pension)

There is no mention of HOW the matchups would be made for this 17th game.

Players would obviously have to approve the plan. The NFL is apparently willing to loosen up restrictions on things like marijuana and also Goodell's power on ruling on off-field matters

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-17-game-season-would-work-in-proposed-cba-with-vote-expected-after-the-2019-season/

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Either the NFC South is really overrated or someone told the Falcons that the season begins in November.  Really playing well when it means nothing

So the Miami gameplan