DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2019 - WEEK ELEVEN

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So what kind of monkey's paw wish did the Browns make where they're only good against the AFC North? 

The kind of wish that cursed Garret with mental retardation?  That's gotta be a sitdown for the rest of the season and maybe all of next year.

That helmet was a fucking weapon.

The NFL doesn't have the balls to do it, but it should be a lifetime ban for Garrett. I don't care the talent, that was assault with a deadly weapon, on national tv. The rest of this and next at a minimum. I think the fact that it was at the end of a game in a meaningless play on National tv makes it even worse. What a fucking punk.

• Like 2

Juan Marichal got 8 games for clubbing someone in the head with a baseball bat so lets pump the brakes on he is going to be suspended for life.

Especially for how comically bad the NFL's punishment system is. (Remember all the Saints players suspended for the bounty program eventually had their suspensions overturned)

As noted - the Albert Haynesworth suspension is probably the closest comp and that was 5 games.

The Browns have 6 more games so it will probably be that so everyone can happily say "suspended the rest of the season"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Juan Marichal got 8 games for clubbing someone in the head with a baseball bat so lets pump the brakes on he is going to be suspended for life.

Especially for how comically bad the NFL's punishment system is. (Remember all the Saints players suspended for the bounty program eventually had their suspensions overturned)

As noted - the Albert Haynesworth suspension is probably the closest comp and that was 5 games.

The Browns have 6 more games so it will probably be that so everyone can happily say "suspended the rest of the season"

The rest of the season seems right.  The question is what about everyone else in the fight.  It's pretty clear that Rudolph was trying to rip Garrett's helmet off, which is what started the fight.  Pouncey punching and kicking him should get him a couple games.  I went to sleep with about 1:40 left in the game.  I woke up this morning and all hell had broken loose.  How the fuck did that even happen?

Yeah, Natural, the league's commissioner is the final arbiter on suspensions, but there's a small committee of execs who make recommendations.   

I'm guessing, Garrett's done for 2019 - regular season and playoffs.   I'm guessing Pouncey is probably getting around 4 games, Ogunjobi who knocked down Rudolph) gets 1-2, Rudolph himself getting 1-2.  

Oh, and the *WORST* is hearing all the talking heads on ESPN or whatever channel using their "Owen Voice" when discussing this.  "I can't believe it, I've never seen anything like this."  Oh, bullshit, I don't play professional football, and I've seen this before.  

Well.  Maybe not the worst.   This here... this is the worst:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Jamie McLennan also only got 10 games for the time he came into a playoff game just to injure Johan Franzen because nobody more expendable to have goon it up in garbage time than the backup goalie

McLennan never played in the NHL again, but because he retired (and apparently still hasn't served this suspension, technically), not because they barred him.

This is the epitome of someone who wants to fight, but had no idea what that fight might turn into.  I remember when I was growing up there was this one dude who thought telling "yo momma" jokes was the funniest thing in the world.  There was this one dude though, who's mother was murdered by his father while she was feeding him as an infant...he didn't think those jokes were funny.  There was a distinct instant when you could see where that dude stopped thinking "you momma" jokes were funny and it was when the first of many punches to the face landed.  I say that to say this...when you start shit with people, those people might be on a whole different wavelength when it comes to handling problems.  Myles Garrett has just joined the pantheon of dudes you probably shouldn't fuck with.  He seems to be the dude who when the fight starts, you get 100% of everything he can possibly bring.  Oh, and he's suspsended indefinitely, Pouncey is gone 3 games, and Ogunjobi is gone one.  Rudolph should probably be suspended too, but I guess getting hit in the head with a helmet is punishment enough.

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Meanwhile

Apparently Hue Jackson will lead the QB drills and Joe Philbin will also be there assisting

Is there a list of names for the volunteers?  

In the statement released by the NFL - the minimum Garrett is suspended for is the rest of season (and playoffs if the Browns make it)

He has to meet with the commissioner to apply for reinstatement

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Raziel said:

He'll be back in 5

Yea - that reeks of the NFL thinking the rest of the season or only 6 games won't sound like enough, so he's "suspended indefinitely", will appeal and be back on the field for the first game of next year. 

As far as Pouncey, pretty much this...

Edited by CSC
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, CSC said:

Yea - that reeks of the NFL thinking the rest of the season or only 6 games won't sound like enough, so he's "suspended indefinitely", will appeal and be back on the field for the first game of next year. 

I'm speaking as a Browns fan so maybe I'm biased, but the rest of the season feels right.  It was bad, but I can't see them adding any more games to that suspension.  I'm really surprised that Rudolph didn't get suspended.  He instigated the actual fight.  I don't think he should have got hit with a helmet, but if he doesn't try to rip off Garrett's helmet, there probably isn't a fight for him to get hit with a helmet.  

He instigated the fight by being held onto and ridden into the ground well after the ball was gone when the game was completely out of reach?  Uh sure.

"That guy pushed me so I bludgeoned him over the head with this blunt object.  It was his fault, officer!"

Edited by CSC
  • Like 4