DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NCAAF: Week 12

Dolfan in NYC

CFP's 2nd Rankings come out tonight.  It will be quite funny when Ohio State drops to #3 and Bama climbs to #2. 

Speaking of tOSU, while I'm fully expecting them to curbstomp Rutgers by 70+, they could be resting pretty much everyone this week.  Their hell stretch begins next week (#9 PSU, @ #14 Michigan, if both are won, the B1G championship - probably against undefeated Minnesota, and if that is won, the playoffs - maybe.)

The rumor around here is that OSU is pretty convinced that the Maryland coaching staff is who ratted out Chase Young and that is why they didn't take their foot off the gas last week

Oh I forgot to mention, the chaos scenario you want to cheer for is both undefeated Baylor and Minnesota winning out, and then being shut out of the Playoffs in favor of one-loss Alabama and one-loss Oregon.   

I don’t see any way that scenario happens unless Ohio State takes multiple losses down the stretch, which seems highly unlikely at this point.  Undefeated Minnesota and one-loss OSU both get in.

Baylor will have a tough time getting in, no matter what.  Oregon/Utah will need a lot of help, even if they win out.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, there's no way Minnesota beats Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin and either Ohio or Penn State again in their last five games and gets left out while being undefeated.

C'mon, there's a 5th place SEC team that will need that spot. 

• Haha 2

I realize it’s fun to joke about and all, but looking at the scenario realistically, it’s actually far more likely at this point that the B1G gets two teams into the playoffs (if Minnesota goes undefeated) than zero teams.  OSU’s analytics are so strong, they would have to drop two to be eliminated, and that seems highly unlikely to happen.

Baylor will need a lot of help.  Their SOS is 2nd worst among the current contenders, and their conference hasn’t helped them out.  To go undefeated, they’ll likely have to beat Oklahoma twice, which would have the double-edged sword effect of diminishing the value of a win over Oklahoma, which is pretty much all they would have to hang their hat on.

Clemson hasn't played anyone either.  All they have is that they are the defending champions.  We all know Clemson is good but that's not supposed to be how it works.  It's supposed to be based on THIS YEAR...     I think Baylor would get in because of politics regardless of what the schedule says.  But again they are losing anyway. 

It's kinda like how both Georgia and especially Bama really need Auburn to beat the other one. 11-1/12-1 looks a lot better if your best (or maybe second best for Georgia) win is over a 9-3 Auburn instead of an 8-4 Auburn.

And Oregon would really like it if Auburn wins out.

The only thing I don’t get is Georgia at 4.  If you’re going to slot someone in over Bama to avoid the whole “HOW CAN THEY BE IN AFTER LOSING” uproar (which is pretty much the only conceivable rationale for putting Georgia over Bama), you’d think they’d pick a team with a better loss than South Carolina.

I'm not going to link the video because it's frankly disturbing, but a Toledo player committed such a blatantly late targeting hit on a Northern Illinois player that I honestly half think he could be arrested.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not going to link the video because it's frankly disturbing, but a Toledo player committed such a blatantly late targeting hit on a Northern Illinois player that I honestly half think he could be arrested.

At the very least, he should never play another down of organized Football again in any league.

• Like 2

Having just seen it, I've obviously seen worse hits, but did the guy forget you're down in college when you go down by yourself? He just laid him out from behind like he didn't think about it.

42 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Having just seen it, I've obviously seen worse hits, but did the guy forget you're down in college when you go down by yourself? He just laid him out from behind like he didn't think about it.

He changed directions after the QB was down.  That's what got me. 

At the absolute most generous reading of this, he made an egregious mental error that should be punished by ejection and suspension. Depending on who the kid is, and what his history is, he may never play organized football again.  

• Like 1

At this point the rankings don't even matter. Yeah, Georgia being ranked is dumb considering they barely got by Notre Dame, they barely got by Florida, and they lost to South Carolina. Other than that, they've blown out a bunch of unranked teams. Judging from their performances against ND and Florida, I'm guessing they lose to Auburn.

I really want Minnesota or Oregon or Utah to get in though, otherwise it's just most milquetoast shit ever and all that will happen is people will say the CFP needs to be expanded and then it won't be and we'll do this all again next year.