DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2020.

The Natural

On 1/24/2020 at 4:44 AM, The Natural said:

I'm unsure whether Once Upon a Time in Hollywood gets Best Picture as the Academy love movies about themselves, Hollywood or 1917 as war films do well too. Right now, I'll go with OUATIM. Parasite has a chance at playing spoiler.

On 2/3/2020 at 6:54 AM, The Natural said:

My predictions:

Best Picture: 1917.

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker. 

Best Actress: Renee Zelwegger, Judy. 

Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. 

Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern, Marriage Story. 

Best Director: Sir. Sam Mendes, 1917.

Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins, 1917. 

Best Original Score: Hildur Guðnadóttir, Joker.

The difficultly was choosing Best Picture and Best Director. I think the former's between Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and 1917. The Academy like films about Hollywood and war. Quentin Tarantino has never won Best Director before, that helps his cause. I went for Sir. Sam Mendes. Bong Joon-Ho for Parasite might spring a surprise.

6/8 missing out on Best Picture and Best Director. The acting awards were close to guarantee winners as you'll get. 

I turned it on just as she opened the envelope. Kudos to the Parasite people, they deserve it. The cynic in me says this will never happen again, but you never know. 

Every other time I tried to switch from the Breaking Bad marathon they were playing another horrible song. Elton John didn't even sound like Elton John.

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Quentin will feign retirement again and then begrudgingly get BD. He is the directing version of Terry Funk.

We up to nine or ten with Quentin Tarantino depending on how you count Death Proof? Still haven't seen that, The Hateful Eight or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I was pulling for Cynthia Erivo for Best Actress, but it still bothered me a little that they couldn't find an American actress to play Harriet fucking Tubman and I had to give it up for Renée Zellweger because her transformation into Judy Garland was even more terrifying than Joachim Phoenix's transformation into the fucking Joker.

1917 got Best Cinematography, so I'm good there, too.

PARASITE, MOTHER FUCKERS~!  WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Natural said:

That's two Oscars for one role:

Best Actor: Marlon Brando for Vito Corleone in The Godfather (1972).

Best Supporting Actor: Robert De Niro for Vito Corleone in The Godfather Part II (1974).

Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger as the Joker in The Dark Knight (2008).

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker in Joker (2019).

I’m not counting Joker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I was pulling for Cynthia Erivo for Best Actress, but it still bothered me a little that they couldn't find an American actress to find Harriet fucking Tubman and I had to give it up for Renée Zellweger because her transformation into Judy Garland was even more terrifying than Joachim Phoenix's transformation into the fucking Joker.

1917 got Best Cinematography, so I'm good there, too.

PARASITE, MOTHER FUCKERS~!

Given some of the content I found out was in that film, I'm somehow pissed and happy at the same time Viola wasn't in that. Pissed about what you said above, and happy that Viola wasn't in a film with madeup history about Harriet Tubman. Hell, she probably turned it down for that reason given she always wanted to play Harriet.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 11:23 PM, J.T. said:

He'll win one before Spike if he keeps trying.  It may very well happen this Sunday.

Yeah, at this point, I'd put all of my money on Spike. QT is the 'pastiche guy' and this was probably going to be his best shot. It's never going to happen.

Meanwhile, Spike is going to drop some Shakespeare. 

Hats off to Parasite though. It is a helluva film.

Edited by Execproducer
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

Yeah, at this point, I'd put all of my money on Spike. QT is the 'pastiche guy' and this was probably going to be his best shot. It's never going to happen.

Yeah, Spike may very well pull that shit off before QT.  I feel that Spike and Quentin are endlessly pondering the Arn Anderson eternal question of what in the fuck do I have to do to win this fucking match?  Why won't Bobby Eaton just fucking die already?

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

Spike has a Vietnam film coming out next, and having just seen The Last Full Measure, I'm a sucker for that. But if every year has 25 potential nominees, nothing is for sure.

• Like 1

Well shit, for some reason my DVR only grabbed the first hour of the show. ?

Spoilers it is for me, I guess.

That's actually a pretty good crop. Phoenix had been a lock for two months, and it was a great performance, but I'll go to my grave insisting Leo did a better job with a way harder role. Such is life.

I'm really pleasantly surprised to see Parasite win four including BP. I've now seen over half the BP nominees, and Hustlers was still better than all of them though. But at least Joker didn't get that, and Todd Phillips didn't mediocre his way into Director.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's actually a pretty good crop. Phoenix had been a lock for two months, and it was a great performance, but I'll go to my grave insisting Leo did a better job with a way harder role. Such is life.

I'm really pleasantly surprised to see Parasite win four including BP. I've now seen over half the BP nominees, and Hustlers was still better than all of them though. But at least Joker didn't get that, and Todd Phillips didn't mediocre his way into Director.

Still gotta see a lot of these, but I thought Hustlers was a very good but not great film. It just feels like a film I've seen like fifteen times before. Maybe these true crime films have worn on me a little.

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I agree with you. Having just watched Once Upon a Time... in the last couple weeks and Joker yesterday, I really didn't see anything that was THAT special about Joaquin Phoenix. Like you said, it's a great performance, but it's nothing we haven't seen before, it's nothing really groundbreaking, and Leo acted his fucking ass off in Once Upon a Time... balancing mania, triumph, defeat among other things. The rest of Joker outside of Phoenix was a pretty dull portrayal of mental illness.`

• Like 1