DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2020.

The Natural

I think, if director and picture split, Mendes is more likely to win Director, because the technical merits of that film are impeccable. I could see OUATIH or even Parasite sneaking out Picture, but if I was a betting man, I'd go 1917 for both.

• Like 1

The nominations for Best Actor was competitive, getting one of the five slots. I thought it was going to be tight between Joaquin Phoenix and Adam Driver but so far Phoenix has won them all. Hildur Guðnadóttir as well. Hope both don't fall at the final hurdle. 

That anonymous actor discussing her ballot today on  Hollywood Reporter really casts some light on just how undeserving? Uneducated? Just plain dumb? some of the voters really are

Some amazing quotes

Best Picture:

Little Women was badly acted and confusing, and I have no idea why they cast four British actresses to play American girls. [Emma Watson and Florence Pugh are British, but Saoirse Ronan is Irish-American, and Eliza Scanlen is Australian.] And every time they said they were poor, I gagged — they're living in a beautiful two-story house, and they have a cook. Jojo Rabbit was cute, but I found myself unable to laugh about Hitler — I don't think that's funny. Marriage Story was phony: You don't have an off-Broadway director and an off-Broadway actress living in a nice house with no day job — if an off-Broadway actor makes $150 a week, that's a lot.

Director

I can't vote for Marty [Scorsese, of The Irishman] — nobody wants to say it, but it's just not that good. Todd Phillips did an incredible job on Joker, as did Bong Joon Ho on Parasite, but not the best. I liked 1917 and Sam Mendes' direction, but I thought Quentin did a great job, and I want an American director to win. The Oscars is an American thing; English things win BAFTAs and the French vote for the French, and Quentin Tarantino should be honored for a great American movie.

Actress

Saoirse Ronan is wonderful, and I've liked her in so many things, but not [Little Women]. I can't vote for [Marriage Story's] Scarlett Johansson for a story I thought was not truthful. I won't vote for [Harriet's] Cynthia Erivo because I think that they should have gotten an American actress to play Harriet [Tubman], not an English actress. [Bombshell's] Charlize Theron did a good imitation [of Megyn Kelly], but I find the real Megyn irritating, so I found her irritating, too. Renée [Zellweger, of Judy] was just wonderful in the movie — her singing and everything, she's just great.

Picture (I moved it here by accident and it's too difficult to reformat)

Parasite is beautifully done, but it didn't hold up the second time, and I don't think foreign films should be nominated with the regular films.

Supporting Actress

I was irritated by Florence Pugh [Little Women]; she is so much older than her character is supposed to be that it was laughable. "You're, like, 30 years old [Pugh is actually 24], why aren't you a grown-up?" [Marriage Story's] Laura Dern was annoyingly over-the-top. If I was her client in a divorce case, I would have walked out five minutes into her rant and hired Ray Liotta. I usually love Margot Robbie, but I didn't really like her in [Bombshell]; it was just a caricature. She was better in Quentin's movie [Once Upon a Time in Hollywood]. Kathy [Bates, of Richard Jewell] is always good, but she didn't really do anything that memorable. So I voted for Scarlett Johansson, even though I didn't like Jojo Rabbit very much, because she did something kind of different than I've ever seen her do before.

Documentary

Honeyland got my vote, though, because it's a beautiful story about saving the environment that is told so simply, without hammering us over the head like Greta whatever [Thunberg, the 17-year-old Swedish activist].

The whole thing is worth a read.  Spoiler: She's a big fan of 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' though largely because she was in Hollywood in the 60s and it reminds her of that.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-irishman-was-boring-tarantino-amazing-1275576/item/best-sound-editing-best-sound-mixing-1276314

Edited by caley
  • Sad 1

Love how

- She says Antonio was "much more subtle and poignant" then gives it to Joaquin anyway. Must be that foreign film bias. 

- Saying "Marriage Story was fake" then "I think he's writing about himself"

- She had four (4) categories she abstained from and for some reason was still allowed a vote

At least she admitted she didn't want to give a vote to the pope.

8 hours ago, caley said:

That anonymous actor discussing her ballot today on  Hollywood Reporter really casts some light on just how undeserving? Uneducated? Just plain dumb? some of the voters really are

I didn't like American Factory — when the Chinese boss says "We're better than them" and they show the American workers as big fat slobs, I thought to myself, "Why is Obama attaching himself to this?" [Higher Ground, the production company run by Barack and Michelle Obama, is behind the film.]

lol

15 hours ago, caley said:

Some amazing quotes

Best Picture:

Director

Actress

Picture (I moved it here by accident and it's too difficult to reformat)

Supporting Actress

Documentary

The whole thing is worth a read.  Spoiler: She's a big fan of 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' though largely because she was in Hollywood in the 60s and it reminds her of that.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-irishman-was-boring-tarantino-amazing-1275576/item/best-sound-editing-best-sound-mixing-1276314

You know if a dumb old actress voted for “...Hollywood” to win best picture, then... GO! GO! OLD LADY! FUCK YEAH!

But deep down I know Parasite needs to win. 

18 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You know if a dumb old actress voted for “...Hollywood” to win best picture, then... GO! GO! OLD LADY! FUCK YEAH!

There's one from a male voter today and it's really bad, too.  Actually features a line along the lines of "I chose Margot Robbie because she was really good and, okay, I have a crush on her..."

He was also SUPER into 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'.

18 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

In a brave world, Parasite would win but I have never found the Academy to be a particularly courageous organization.

They didn't even have the spine to consider an EDM duo for Best Score.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, caley said:

He was also SUPER into 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'.

They all just want to work with QT, that's what's up.

57 minutes ago, J.T. said:

In a brave world, Parasite would win but I have never found the Academy to be a particularly courageous organization.

I liked Parasite a lot but if Hollywood decides to pat itself on the back by giving it to a film about Hollywood, they'll have it right this year...at least among the films that were nominated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

Marriage Story should win if it's just about straight up good movies.

But if that was the case, Uncut Gems would be nominated and sweeping every category.

I cannot disagree with that.  I feel that Adam Sandler has hoodwinked me his entire career.   I had no idea he had a performance like that inside of him.

Edited by J.T.

16 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I really enjoyed Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, but I feel that's an even safer pick than 1917 for Best Film.

Not sure I'd call a film that prominently features QT's foot fetish as well as a gory cinematic revenge killing of the Manson clan a safe pick for Best Picture but to each their own and all of that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

Not sure I'd call a film that prominently features QT's foot fetish as well as a gory cinematic revenge killing of the Manson clan a safe pick for Best Picture but to each their own and all of that. 

It's a QT joint.  He may be a renegade, but he's an accepted renegade.  Spike Lee won his first Oscar in a 30 year career of waking people up and pissing people off and naturally the award wasn't for Best Picture or Best Director.

Edited by J.T.