DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2020.

The Natural

Taron Egerton missing out on a Academy Award nomination for Best Actor as Elton John in Rocketman is a bad snub for reasons I gave even though this was a very competitive field.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

"A movie won that I didn't like so now it means nothing"  is certainly a take.. 

This has been a thing since at least 1942, when How Green Was My Valley won Best Picture over Citizen Kane. There were probably better films than Wings in 1927. 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

This has been a thing since at least 1942, when How Green Was My Valley won Best Picture over Citizen Kane. There were probably better films than Wings in 1927. 

One of the biggest crimes in Oscars history was Dancing with Wolves over Goodfellas for Best Picture.   It happens. 

• Like 1

Joaquin Phoenix should be on one Academy Award already, maybe two. I'd have given 2005's to either Phoenix for Walk The Line or Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain over Phillip Seymour Hoffman's Capote.

Edited by The Natural

I am somewhat surprised that Bombshell did not get a best-movie nomination, considering how Oscar-baity this movie seems to be (at least that's what it looked like in the trailer I saw).

It's always good to see a non-English-language movie getting a best picture nomination. Looking at Wikipedia, Parasite is only the 12th movie to have done so (and the second Asian after Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).

Edited by Robert s

53 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

"A movie won that I didn't like so now it means nothing"  is certainly a take.. 

The stupid part is that none of these things actually mean anything whether or not they are given to the "correct" movie or not.  The only downfall is that people might complain about it.

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

The stupid part is that none of these things actually mean anything whether or not they are given to the "correct" movie or not.  The only downfall is that people might complain about it.

In no particular order the winners are actors/producers/directors/techs because they get their big night to show off their art,   advertisers because the Oscars is still the most watched thing on TV besides football and film studios because if a movie wins awards it usually makes more money like 1917 this weekend just had a huge bump in box office from the Golden Globes wins.  

Everyone else should treat it like a spectacle and not get too wrapped up either way. 

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

It's between Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 1917, Marriage Story and Parasite for Best Picture. Joker's nomination is the win.

I mean it has the most nominations. These people clearly like this movie. It's very much in the mix. It's pretty easy to go down the lists of nominees and see which are the real Best Picture contenders and which are only there because the category got expanded as a result of a nerd tantrum over another clownman movie.

Joker has a real chance. Hopefully they don't waste time during the Oscar broadcast with vignettes for Ford vs Ferrari and Jojo Rabbit, because they certainly don't.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy