DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2020.

The Natural

Just seeing Song Kang Ho at the Oscars was so cool. 

Cynthia Erivo is incredible and had a really great night without winning anything. 

The wholesome charm of the Bong speeches really contrasted with Joaquin’s existential crisis and Renee Zelwegger’s Public Speaking class ramblings. 

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

How did Joaquin fare for The Master? Because I thought that role crushed Joker. 

Both The Master and Her were amazing performances from this decade for him. Joker was an okay performance for a very underwhelming movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Okay so while the winners were great, the actual production of the show %100 sucked. The opening number, the joke writing, the lack of a host. They need an overhaul next year, because this show felt so sterile, and bland. Not the grand award I expect. 

So they should start thawing the corpse of Billy Crystal? I'm not a big Eminen fan but I'll take him performing one of his old songs over any of the endless forced cringe worthy comedy skits that end up making the show run until after midnight. The Oscars have had stretches without a host or multiple hosts over the years and they'll swing back to having a host soon, when they do Mindy Kaling should be near the top of the list.

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

How did Joaquin fare for The Master? Because I thought that role crushed Joker. 

It did. This is a classic example of the Academy awarding someone years after they should have. Just happy to see that dude saved up some awkwardness for the Oscars and didn't blow it all on the other speeches he's been giving for the last six weeks. 

Amazed to see the Academy actually get it right with Parasite. 

Can we go back to a smaller Best Picture race? Fair to say expanding the field hasn't achieved any of the desired results. Cull the herd. I've seen Ford vs Ferrari; It didn't belong in that category.

Scorsese falling asleep while Eminem was performing was perfect.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I was happy to see Marty getting a standing-o like that after the cluster fuck with Iger this year. I mean they will win in the end, but at least for this night Marty won the hearts & minds of young, and old Hollywood.

Lionizing Scorsese at this point is as on-brand as it gets for a Hollywood awards show. Marvel drama wasn't going to change that. 

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Okay so while the winners were great, the actual production of the show %100 sucked. The opening number, the joke writing, the lack of a host. They need an overhaul next year, because this show felt so sterile, and bland. Not the grand award I expect. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen an Oscars where at the end I was thinking "What a great show!"  It's always too long, bloated, and dull and lives or dies by the opening monologue.

33 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen an Oscars where at the end I was thinking "What a great show!"  It's always too long, bloated, and dull and lives or dies by the opening monologue.

I have strong memories about the 90’s Oscars, and even if the midcard portion of the show under delivered you know  that Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, and Tom Hanks will deliver in the main event. It’s time to bring Cruise back, and maybe somehow make Brad Pitt the elder statesman that Jack was. Or see if Christian Slater can fulfill his dream.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

A good oscars need a short monologue, multiple montages, and none of the go into the audience shit. I'd probably cut the musical numbers too. Whoever produced that piece of shit should have been fired as soon as the show ended.

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

Both The Master and Her were amazing performances from this decade for him. Joker was an okay performance for a very underwhelming movie.

Her was amazing.  Phoenix was really good and the movie as a whole is one of my all-time favorites.

• Like 3

Joker wasn't even Phoenix's best portrayal of a mama's boy who goes on a killing spree. 

So just how old and out of touch am I for not recognizing most of those young people they featured after some of their ad breaks? I kinda recognized one because she was in a Star Wars movie and that's all I've got. All I can hear in my head is Abe Simpson saying it'll happen to me. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 1:41 PM, The Natural said:

Cheers @AxB, @Kuetsar and @Craig H. Got a Corden sucks club going on.

Hope it's not too late to join this club. I always thought there was something insincere about him, not that that counts as any great feat of character judging, and have since heard from several people who've worked with him that he's exactly as much of a social climbing weasel fuck as he seems. For every jolly sing along with a celebrity, you can be sure there's at least one stage hand or runner behind the scenes who's been reduced to tears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SturmCRF said:

Hope it's not too late to join this club. I always thought there was something insincere about him, not that that counts as any great feat of character judging, and have since heard from several people who've worked with him that he's exactly as much of a social climbing weasel fuck as he seems. For every jolly sing along with a celebrity, you can be sure there's at least one stage hand or runner behind the scenes who's been reduced to tears.

Members are always welcome, friend.

• Like 2

Before Corden went to America, but after Gavin and Stacey, he and Matthew Horne had a comedy sketch show that they wrote and performed themselves. It was six episodes, thirty minutes each, called Horne and Corden. They basically had two jokes that they told over and over again. The first one was James Corden is fat. The second one was Homosexuality is disgusting.

So basically he can go fuck himself. Cunt.

Edited by AxB
Also, he did an AMA on Reddit, which was flooded with people saying they hadn't met him, but he seemed like a piece of shit IRL. And also people who had met him and, knew he was a complete shit.
  • Like 2