DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2020.

The Natural

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

In no particular order the winners are actors/producers/directors/techs because they get their big night to show off their art,   advertisers because the Oscars is still the most watched thing on TV besides football and film studios because if a movie wins awards it usually makes more money like 1917 this weekend just had a huge bump in box office from the Golden Globes wins.  

Everyone else should treat it like a spectacle and not get too wrapped up either way. 

The winners already shared their art, that's what they're nominated for doing.  The advertisers sell those ads before we ever know who wins, it doesn't matter at all to them.  Sure some of these movies are going to get a bump in profit, but that's mostly because no one goes to see most of these movies.  Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Joker, and Ford vs. Ferrari were all very successful movies, but it's rare you get three nominated in the same year.  You can watch The Irishman and Marriage Story without spending a dime.  I can see 1917 getting a decent bump, Little Women is something people might go out and see, but Parasite and Jojo Rabbit are super niche movies that most people will never watch.  If you have a financial interest in any of those four movies, yes it probably matters if you win...but if you are almost anyone else on the entire planet these awards are completely meaningless.  It's nice to have, but almost nothing changes based on who does or does not win an Oscar.  

55 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Everyone I talked to said Malek was great in BR and the only reason to watch the movie.  I still haven't watched it.  Lupita for Us was a big snub. People aggravated over J-Lo but I didn't mind her being left out. 

They lied to you.  Malek is terrible in it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

No, but dude, people he talked to said differently.

Okay so two guys on this board said he was bad so that means the voting body is wrong.  You say I am ridiculous with my "I'm right" attitude but then say things like this so it evens out. 

I remember a bunch of times where I was like "nope,  this movie sucked" and people on this board said "but look at the rotten tomatoes score,  clearly you are wrong!" 

People will use whatever "evidence" they want to find to fit their narrative but then get upset when others do the same. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

Every time I think about getting worked up about an award show created by the studio system and decided by a booking committee of Hollywood executives for the first few decades, I remember this and it helps me put Academy decisions in perspective. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collider.com/best-picture-winners-ranked/%3famp

Edited by (BP)

Another one that made me laugh is saying in perfect obfuscation about The French Connection, "Popeye Doyle. That is all." -- and THEN following that up with saying that maybe A Clockwork Orange, featuring yet another horrible, violent antihero in a lead role, should have won instead. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There were probably better films than Wings in 1927. 

Wings is a great film. So is Sunrise which won the 'other' Academy Award. If The Crowd had won it would have been fine but Wings was the right choice.

Edited by Execproducer

On 11/13/2019 at 4:49 AM, The Natural said:

Here's my "When the Academy Awards fucked up":

The Dark Knight (2008) missing out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations. The rightful backlash meant the Best Picture category was expanded. Terrible snub.

The Dark Knight (2008), WALL-E (2008) and Gran Torino (2008) should have received Best Picture nominations in 2009.

The Reader (2008) getting a Best Picture nom. Fuck that.

No Best Actor/Best Director nominations for Gran Torino (2008).

Let the Right One In (2008), no Foreign Language Film nod.

The Academy Awards really fucked up that year as seen in the above.

Christian Bale as Best Actor for American Psycho (2000). Christian Bale's best performance.

Memento (2000) missing out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations.

The Shawshank Redemption should have won Best Picture in 1994 over Forrest Gump which won said award. After Shawshank, Pulp Fiction.

Quentin Tarantino or Frank Darabont should've taken home Best Director that year but that also went to Forrest Gump's Robert Zemeckis.

Ellen Burstyn should have won Best Actress for Requiem for a Dream (2000). Julia Roberts won for Erin Brockovich. That's a bad one.

Ben Affleck not making the Best Director nominees for Argo (2012). That surprised everyone.

R Lee Ermey and Vincent D'Onofrio missing out on Best Supporting Actor nominations for Full Metal Jacket (1987). I'd have voted for Ermey.

Sam Smith winning Best Original Song for "Writing's on the Wall" in Spectre (2015).

No Best Supporting Actor nomination to Javier Bardem in Skyfall (2012).

The Lego Movie (2014) wasn't nominated for Best Animated Feature. Bad omission, that. Should have won it.

Gone Baby Gone deserved a Best Picture nomination in 2007.

Clint Eastwood missing out on the Academy Award for Best Actor in Unforgiven (1992).

Heath Ledger should have won Best Actor for his performance in Brokeback Mountain (2005) over Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s who won for Capote (2005). Either him or Joaquin Phoenix in Walk the Line (2005).

Crash beating Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture in 2005.

Lego Batman should've been nominated for Best Original Song.

Tron: Legacy should've been nominated for Daft Punk's Original Score.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I don't think 1917 will get the duke for Best Picture but dammit, if it isn't a shoe in for Best Cinematography the fix will be fucking in.

It's like the old saying, you wait ages for a bus then two come at once. Roger Deakins finally wins a Academy Award for Best Cinematography after so many nominations without doing so and he's going to win two years running via Blade Runner 2040 and 1917.

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 1

I think without looking that Joaquin Phoenix has won every Best Actor Award in this awards season so far. I thought it would be tight between him and Adam Driver. I hope Phoenix keeps on winning. 

Here's his acceptance speech at the Screen Actors Guild Awards:

1917 feels like a lock in all the technical categories, and probably the favorite for picture.

It's not an amazing story (it's not bad, mind you) but the cinematography, sound design, sound mixing, production design, and score are all just incredible, top of the industry level stuff.

I'm unsure whether Once Upon a Time in Hollywood gets Best Picture as the Academy love movies about themselves, Hollywood or 1917 as war films do well too. Right now, I'll go with OUATIM. Parasite has a chance at playing spoiler.

Edited by The Natural

It is worth noting there's been a recent trend towards best picture going hand in hand with one of the screenplay awards, and not with Director. Which could help OUATIH in theory, given that I think it has a much better shot at best original screenplay than 1917 does.

On 1/25/2020 at 12:56 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Ah, you know Parasite is getting screenplay as consolation prize. 

There's a perfectly good "Foreign Language" Oscar for consolidation of that's the route they want to go.

The four acting award categories seem to be sewn up going by the Golden Globes, Critics Choice, Screen Actors Guild and BAFTA winners:

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker. 

Best Actress: Renee Zelwegger, Judy. 

Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. 

Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern, Marriage Story. 

Hildur Guðnadóttir keeps on winning Best Original Score as she should. Even those who don't like Joker praise Phoenix, Guðnadóttir and Lawrence Sher's Cinematography.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

The four acting award categories seem to be sewn up going by the Golden Globes, Critics Choice, Screen Actors Guild and BAFTA winners:

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker. 

Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. 

Hildur Guðnadóttir keeps on winning Best Original Score as she should. Even those who don't like Joker praise Phoenix, Guðnadóttir and Lawrence Sher's Cinematography.

I think, personally, I liked 1917's score a little bit better, but there's certainly nothing wrong with her winning the awards.

• Like 1

My predictions:

Best Picture: 1917.

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker. 

Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. 

Best Director: Sir. Sam Mendes, 1917.

Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins, 1917. 

Best Original Score: Hildur Guðnadóttir, Joker.

The difficultly was choosing Best Picture and Best Director. I think the former's between Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and 1917. The Academy like films about Hollywood and war. Quentin Tarantino has never won Best Director before, that helps his cause. I went for Sir. Sam Mendes. Bong Joon-Ho for Parasite might spring a surprise.

Edited by The Natural