DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2020.

The Natural

With the "For your consideration" Academy Awards campaigns for Joker and Avengers: Endgame released, figured it's time to talk Oscars 2020. 

Best Actor looks to be really competitive. I'd say Joaquin Phoenix (Joker) and Adam Driver (Marriage Story) are locks. It's then a tussle between Bale (Ford vs. Ferrari) Hanks (A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood), Banderas (Pain and Glory) Patterson and Dafoe (The Lighthouse), Pitt and DiCaprio (Once Upon A Time in Hollywood) and Egerton (Rocketman). Some might be moved into Best Supporting Actor to better their chances whole others will miss out period. I'd feel for Egerton considering he acted and sung while Rami Malek mimed. Christian Bale was robbed of Best Actor when Malek won over Bale in Vice.

Interested to see how Joker and Avengers: Endgame do. The Academy are hit and miss when it comes to comic book movies, the biggest fuckup was The Dark Knight getting Best Picture and Best Director snubs when it should've won both. In recent times, the Academy's done better, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse deservedly taking home the Best Animated Feature last year though it deserved Best Picture to go with it.

I think Joker will miss out on a Best Picture nomination. Be nice to be proven wrong. It definitely needs Best Cinematography and Best Original Score nominations. I can't see Avengers: Endgame nominated as recognition for the unprecedented 22 film buildup to it like The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King was rewarded for the whole trilogy.

Feel free to speculate on nominees, winners and times when the Academy Awards fucked up in snubs and winners!

The Oscar previously awarded to the "Best Foreign Language Film" is now being awarded to the "Best International Feature Film"... but the foreign language requirement still exists, as the Nigerian movie Lionheart was disqualified for containing too much English.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I can see Avengers Endgame receiving some technical nominations but something like Best Picture I don't know about that.  I think Black Panther's nomination was the Lifetime Achievement for the MCU.  

Plus, the demographics made it something to nominate. Had Captain Marvel been an above average movie and had the right kind of "empowering" plot, it might have been nominated too. 

Edited by odessasteps

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Plus, the demographics made it something to nominate. Had Captain Marvel been an above average movie and had the right kind of "empowering" plot, it might have been nominated too. 

I don't know,  most people would say Wonder Woman was the better film of the two and while there was initially a campaign for it to be nominated it ended up being shut out.  It's hard for a blockbuster to be nominated and then even harder for it to win.   

I think Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is the casual audience representation for this year.  

My other probables for Best Picture category: Parasite,  Ford v. Ferrari,  The Lighthouse,  Marriage Story and the Mr. Rogers movie. 

Edit:  Jojo Rabbit too

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

I dont think JoJo Rabbit was Best Picture level good (even playing the Holocaust card), but I could see the young girl getting a Best Supporting nomination. The kid was good too but he would have to get a Best Actor nod and I dont see that happening. 

Endgame has no business being nominated for Best Picture when it was not remotely in the same ballpark as Infinity War (which didn't and shouldn't have won).

And yeah, Best Actor is going to be a ridiculous scrum that screws over probably 40% of the nominees (and possibly some of the people who don't get nominations).  Pitt will definitely be in the Supporting group if he gets nominated, but, as good as he was, he'd have no business winning if Dafoe is also there.  I suppose I'll have to watch Marriage Story & Rocketman at some point, but, after seeing The Lighthouse yesterday, I'm actually pulling for Pattinson to win (Jesus fuck I never thought that'd be a sentence I'd say). 

If Hanks wins another, I'm probably going to find me a place that lets you smash up cars for like a dollar a swing and take a good 40 whacks.  Why bio-pic actors win so many awards is totally beyond me; as often as not (Ray, Capote), it's mimicry rather than acting.  Fuck that.  I'll take someone like DiCaprio doing the bizarro-world version of his own career arc that he did in Once Upon a Time any day of the week over someone who watched some tape.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I dont think JoJo Rabbit was Best Picture level good (even playing the Holocaust card)

But it won the audience award at TIFF which is sometimes an indicator.     That said,  Joker won at Venice so who knows if any of that will mean anything.

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

Are they still nominating like ten movies for Best Picture? If so, I'll stick up for a bio-pic: If The Disaster Artist could slip into the conversation a couple years ago, no good reason Dolemite Is My Name couldn't make the cut here. Not like the field is exactly jam-packed. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I think the rules are still "a minumum of five, maximum of ten" for best picture, which has resulted in 8 or 9 every year. The two years they required ten were the years Pixar got their two nominations.

Hustlers is easily the best movie I've seen so far this year.

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

@The Natural  I can see Avengers Endgame receiving some technical nominations but something like Best Picture I don't know about that.  I think Black Panther's nomination was the Lifetime Achievement for the MCU.  

I think you're right about Avengers: Endgame missing out on what's deemed the big awards. For what it's worth, I'd give it a Best Picture nomination. I'd also give acting noms for Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans, as overall recognition. I don't think Black Panther deserved a Best Picture nomination. For me the comic book movies worthy of Best Picture

The Dark Knight (2008), Logan (2017), Avengers: Endgame (2018), Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) and Avengers: Endgame (2019). Of those, The Dark Knight and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse were the best pictures that year.

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know,  most people would say Wonder Woman was the better film of the two and while there was initially a campaign for it to be nominated it ended up being shut out.  It's hard for a blockbuster to be nominated and then even harder for it to win.   

Wonder Woman is much better than Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel is lower tier MCU.

11 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Endgame has no business being nominated for Best Picture when it was not remotely in the same ballpark as Infinity War (which didn't and shouldn't have won).

And yeah, Best Actor is going to be a ridiculous scrum that screws over probably 40% of the nominees (and possibly some of the people who don't get nominations).  Pitt will definitely be in the Supporting group if he gets nominated, but, as good as he was, he'd have no business winning if Dafoe is also there.  I suppose I'll have to watch Marriage Story & Rocketman at some point, but, after seeing The Lighthouse yesterday, I'm actually pulling for Pattinson to win (Jesus fuck I never thought that'd be a sentence I'd say). 

If Hanks wins another, I'm probably going to find me a place that lets you smash up cars for like a dollar a swing and take a good 40 whacks.  Why bio-pic actors win so many awards is totally beyond me; as often as not (Ray, Capote), it's mimicry rather than acting.  Fuck that.  I'll take someone like DiCaprio doing the bizarro-world version of his own career arc that he did in Once Upon a Time any day of the week over someone who watched some tape.

Be nice for Dafoe to pick an Oscar up. It's going to be a right scrap for the five places in the Best Actor category. Confident Phoenix and Driver are locks, Bale will likely make it. I like your suggestion of a place where you can pay to smash shit up and feel better for doing so.

Here's my "When the Academy Awards fucked up":

The Dark Knight (2008) missing out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations. The rightful backlash meant the Best Picture category was expanded. Terrible snub.

The Dark Knight (2008), WALL-E (2008) and Gran Torino (2008) should have received Best Picture nominations in 2009.

The Reader (2008) getting a Best Picture nom. Fuck that.

No Best Actor/Best Director nominations for Gran Torino (2008).

Let the Right One In (2008), no Foreign Language Film nod.

The Academy Awards really fucked up that year as seen in the above.

Christian Bale as Best Actor for American Psycho (2000). Christian Bale's best performance.

Memento (2000) missing out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations.

The Shawshank Redemption should have won Best Picture in 1994 over Forrest Gump which won said award. After Shawshank, Pulp Fiction.

Quentin Tarantino or Frank Darabont should've taken home Best Director that year but that also went to Forrest Gump's Robert Zemeckis.

Ellen Burstyn should have won Best Actress for Requiem for a Dream (2000). Julia Roberts won for Erin Brockovich. That's a bad one.

Ben Affleck not making the Best Director nominees for Argo (2012). That surprised everyone.

R Lee Ermey and Vincent D'Onofrio missing out on Best Supporting Actor nominations for Full Metal Jacket (1987). I'd have voted for Ermey.

Sam Smith winning Best Original Song for "Writing's on the Wall" in Spectre (2015).

No Best Supporting Actor nomination to Javier Bardem in Skyfall (2012).

The Lego Movie (2014) wasn't nominated for Best Animated Feature. Bad omission, that. Should have won it.

Gone Baby Gone deserved a Best Picture nomination in 2007.

Clint Eastwood missing out on the Academy Award for Best Actor in Unforgiven (1992).

Heath Ledger should have won Best Actor for his performance in Brokeback Mountain (2005) over Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s who won for Capote (2005). Either him or Joaquin Phoenix in Walk the Line (2005).

Crash beating Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture in 2005.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My other probables for Best Picture category: Parasite,  Ford v. Ferrari,  The Lighthouse,  Marriage Story and the Mr. Rogers movie. 

This sounds about right.  I think that Phoenix will get a nod for Best Actor, but I feel that the Academy will find Joker to be far to bleak and nihilistic to give it a Best Picture nom.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is the casual audience representation for this year.  

I think Joker sadly misses out. I'd throw Judy into the ring with Oscars fondness for biopics. Same for Rocketman. The Irishman will be there as its a Martin Scorsese picture.

Edited by The Natural

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

(...)

R Lee Ermey and Vincent D'Onofrio missing out on Best Supporting Actor nominations for Full Metal Jacket (1987). I'd have voted for Ermey.

(...)

Ermey is a tricky one. He was basically playing himself, doing in front of the camera what he was doing in his day job. Sure, he was perfect in this role, but if you are being yourself (or an extended version of yourself), is it still acting?

• Like 1

Shawshank winning would've been nearly as bad as Gump. Pump Fiction was the defining movie of the decade, it not winning just looks worse and worse every year. 

On the other hand, Shawshank should've won Cinematography. Admittedly, I'm a Deakins mark, but, Christ Shawshank is beautiful.

13 hours ago, Robert s said:

Ermey is a tricky one. He was basically playing himself, doing in front of the camera what he was doing in his day job. Sure, he was perfect in this role, but if you are being yourself (or an extended version of yourself), is it still acting?

Yes.

• Like 1

It's not that much different from John Wayne finally winning an Oscar for playing the same character he had played 75 times before.

How Green Was My Valley over Citizen Kane is probably the biggest crime, but it's also a pretty good movie in and of itself.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Amazing Roger Deakins recently won his first Academy Award for Best Cinematography after so many nominations. Deakins should be on 3 or 4 on the top of my head.

I don't think you could deny him for Blade Runner 2049 and in a proper world, he'll win again when 1917 is eligible.

• Like 1