DVDVR Message Board

Raw Spoilers for 11/11/19

victor

20 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This spot can fuck right off.  Charlotte should not be no selling for ANYONE, much less a defending champion. 

People no sell each and every week on every wrestling show.  Much less a face to a heel who is almost a foot shorter.

People famously no sold her old man's chops all the time and he was a multiple time world champion.  Was Sting a dick?  Ricky Steamboat?

I don't understand this argument from any position other than you don't like Charlotte.

You're a fan of a well known dog eater, so your opinion is not valid to me. ?

(Seriously though) I don't like that spot when anyone does it.  I get it's a callback to her dad and that it's a time honored spot that has been done forever.  I just don't like the idea that offense is no sold in a non-closing sequence spot.   If you're going to do the hulk up, it had better be followed by the end of the match, because otherwise, you're setting up your opponent to be a weakling that doesn't belong in the same ring as you for the rest of the match. Without Charlotte getting waylaid by a chair or some other massive heel cheating, then selling after this spot is just... incongruous, I guess?  

• Like 1

I enjoy a good no sell chop spot, but I need the face giving the heel a big stink eye while fighting through the pain. I personally hated when Hogan, and Hawk would do it. Gorilla could say “He’s getting a burst of adrenaline”, but I wouldn’t believe that shit. With Sting, sure. With Warrior, definitely. But Hogan, and Hawk just felt like dicks for not ending the match early.

54 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Was Sting a dick?

Bret Hart used to rail against repeatedly being booked in storylines where his friends and family members would turn on him. He thought it might make people think he was unlikeable when you really got to know him. Sting however had no problem with being repeatedly betrayed and falling for it every time. Because he knew he was likeable. Even when all the WCW babyfaces didn't trust him and he had every reason to say screw you guys I'm going evil, he didn't. He just sat in the lighting rig doing drugs by himself for a year.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, AxB said:

Bret Hart used to rail against repeatedly being booked in storylines where his friends and family members would turn on him. He thought it might make people think he was unlikeable when you really got to know him. Sting however had no problem with being repeatedly betrayed and falling for it every time. Because he knew he was likeable. Even when all the WCW babyfaces didn't trust him and he had every reason to say screw you guys I'm going evil, he didn't. He just sat in the lighting rig doing drugs by himself for a year.

yeah but Bret was in WWF, where the top babyfaces are largely unlikable and generally do deserve to be turned on, so his concern was valid.

• Like 1

You leave Dean Malenko’s culture out of this. 

I’m way into selling, don’t get me wrong.  I hate strike exchanges almost as a rule since most people don’t know how to do them properly.  But this example being the hill to die on seems super weird when there are far worse examples from every show I’ve ever seen. At least this had a narrative reason as opposed to most which only set up parity between two ‘hard’ people.  If Charlotte were to do this to Asuka, it would be a far bigger deal because she’s got a striker gimmick.  Sane is not in that role and if she goes face to face with Charlotte, she should come out far worse.

edit:  I didn’t even watch the show by the way.  Don’t care at all about WWE being bad (it is), but this is such a weird place to make this argument.

Edited by Goodear

Hogan never even called Andre during his suspension, befriended Orndorff to duck his legitimate challenge, and hired Macho Man's wife as his manager so he could seduce her and ultimately provoke Savage into a title bout.  And don't forget his three year streak of backstabbing his ally (Savage, Warrior, Tugboat) and dumping them out of the Royal Rumble from behind only to have the temerity to piss and moan when Sid Justice finally saw that shit coming and struck first.

Hell, even in Bret's case, Owen was right to turn on Bret, who was stupidly trying to play heroball and solo the tag team champion Quebecers on one bad leg instead of just tagging his little brother in.

Vince's ideal vision of The Hero is a total asshole.  Bret knew where that road led.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Vince's ideal vision of The Hero is a total asshole.  Bret knew where that road led.

If you think of every top good guy in the company with the exception of Backlund and Sammartino, most of them have all been assholes. Notice when Seth is getting beat down. No one is running out to save his ass. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 9:27 AM, D.Z said:

giphy.gif

All I could think, watching this, was the following exchange:

Kairi: "TITTY!  TITTY!!  TITTY!!!  TITTY, TITTY, TITTYTITTYTITTYTITTYTITTYTITTYTITTYTITTYTITTY, TITTY!!!"

Charlotte: "... titty."

I accept my Cibernateco, shamelessly.

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, nate said:

All I could think, watching this, was the following exchange:

Kairi: "TITTY!  TITTY!!  TITTY!!!  TITTY, TITTY, TITTYTITTYTITTYTITTYTITTYTITTYTITTYTITTYTITTY, TITTY!!!"

Charlotte: "... titty."

I accept my Cibernateco, shamelessly.

1,width=650,height=650,appearanceId=2,ba

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 4