DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: WARGAMES III - 11/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

11 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

That show was fucking great. Ripley is a Star now. That match made her, big time.  
She's like, if Diesel in 94 worked, if you catch my drift.

That drift  requires weed, obviously. But I see it. 

Hunter loves her because she is the best possible new age Chyna.

I haven’t watched NXT since it went live it actually any wrestling the past few months aside from stuff that popped up on my social media feeds. Who knew that having a six month old would make you always busy and always tired?

I did not see much of the build to the Women’s War Games. But I really friggin’ loved that match. I loved the badass heels so much. Just everyone on that team has “it” in (Queen of) Spades. I never saw KLR before but what a great sneaky cheapshot artist she is. 

I am kind of torn on the Dakota Kai stuff. It could have been a really epic story if she ended up as the fourth person and managed to be the one to beat Shayna to win that — the perpetual underdog who after all this time finally gets just deserts on her tormenter in the first women’s war games. But that savage act of treachery was one of the best beatings ever. Oh my god was that so nasty looking. She was so awesome as an unhinged lunatic beating the crap out of her best friend. 

I did love the end though where Shayna’s plan backfired. Perfect way for Shayna to lose. Candace is irritating to me but she did a great job as the “never say die” type. Bianca’s big dive was completely nuts. Io’s was even wilder. 

Great match and seriously one of NXT’s best ever.

• Like 4

This show in it's 2 and a half hours was so damn good. I mean it was a quick show that didn't feel long (though the Dunne/Priest/Dain triple threat did go too long in my view). We can compare that to tonight's show that will feel every bit of the 4 hours it will probably be.

The women's War Games was fantastic. I don't know why they just didn't keep this as the only war games match for the show. I thought it was overkill to do two in one night. Dakota Kai's turn is everything Bayley should have done to turn in heel like two years ago with Sasha. I thought for sure Mia Yim was gonna pull a Sting from the Clash against Rick Rude and get into the cage and fight. But Dakota's heel turn (even though seen coming a mile away) was so perfect. Even the bit with her shoving Regal. Regal looked so pissed. I kinda wanted to see him pull out the brass knucks "I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE A BLOODY LADY, TRY ME AGAIN SUNSHINE" .

Rhea is going to be a huge star for them. If Ronda ever comes back, I want to see her and Rhea.

The rest of the show was pretty damn good. I liked the triple threat. It amazes me that Killian Dain was on Smackdown and they saw nothing in him. Though knowing Vince he probably was put off by the body hair or something. 

They really have backed themselves into a corner though with Dunne getting a title shot at Survivor Series. The Men's war games match was good but at the same time the table spots were way too much.

We can't have blood. We can't have piledrivers. Choking, chair shots to the head and so on. But a damn Air Raid Crash from the top of a cage through some tables is perfectly fine? Other than that I enjoyed it. 

So is Finn back in NXT full time or is he gone once the wednesday night stuff evens out? I loved his match with Riddle. I kinda hate to see him leave and go back to RAW.

I'm just done with Undisputed Era. They're clearly trying to force these guys into a spot that's beyond them. I've voiced my dislike of Adam Cole, and I'm legitimately baffled as to why he's seen as "the guy" down the line. It just feels like the same shit every year with the men's WarGames. Especially when the women went out there and did what they did. I haven't been riveted by nXt tv in a really long time, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Rhea Ripley is 23. Twenty. Three. I truly believe she has the potential to transcend the business.  

• Like 2

I'm not a huge fan of heels losing a 4 on 2 situation, but they did it as well as they could. I would've liked to see them copy the ROH/CZW cage of death where the face the team got the advantage, then lost it because of a turn.The finishing sequence was good, bringing back memories of the underrated Cena/Orton I Quit match. Good stuff all around.

The triple threat had some good sequences but needed to be shorter. Another good finishing spot.

Riddle/Balor was alright, but definitely one of Riddle's lesser matches this year. He took an RVD-esque bump on that Bloody Sunday, though.

The men's Wargames dragged until KO showed up. I'd be down for KO back in NXT full time.

Adam Cole better not win his match tonight. I don't hate Cole, but it would completely devalue the match/finishing spot to have him win. Also, is there any X vs. Adam Cole match where X vs. Pete Dunne doesn't sound better?

Overall, it was a fine show, but outside of the women's Wargames, things went more into "trying too hard" to their own detriment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, just drew said:

I'm just done with Undisputed Era. They're clearly trying to force these guys into a spot that's beyond them. I've voiced my dislike of Adam Cole, and I'm legitimately baffled as to why he's seen as "the guy" down the line.

I'm in the same boat. Cole doesn't bother me depending on who he's in the ring with but he's the least good of the four. As a unit, they don't really come off as a serious threat or a dominant faction even with holding all the belts.

• Like 2

The women kicked some arse. And watching Dakota Kai just brutalise Tegan Nox, that's how you do a beatdown. That's the kind of viciousness that you seldom see in the WWE milquetoast scuffles. The match itself was so good, actually weaving a story and multiple feuds throughout. Kay Lee Ray was a bumping machine, the way that Rhea just swatted her out of the sky towards the end, it's the best use for those shitty trashcans.

As I recall Sasha Banks was 23 when she tore it up in that NXT Takeover match with Bayley. With how polarising Ms Banks is on here, I'll leave it at that.

I enjoyed the singles match more than the three-way and more than others, it seems. There is something wholesome about seeing Finn in his element again as a violent bastard. I though this was a great, hard-hitting match.

To the point above, I've been over Adam Cole and the UE act in general for a while now, although O'Reilly's shenanigans are still entertaining (doing the Bossman bounce off the ropes in between the rings and gradually working down the ropes was hilarious). Let's have some new blood on top, they're not short of it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Rhea is going to be a huge star for them. If Ronda ever comes back, I want to see her and Rhea.

Please do not wish that evil on Rhea Ripley.  I love her as if she were my own sister.

I also do not think I could love Dakota Kai or Teagan Nox any more than I do now.

I think this War Games card had some of the better best signature War Games matches out of any War Games PPVs that I have ever seen.  The men's match dragged a little but business picked up when KO showed up. 

The Women's match was spectacular.  The faces overcoming the numbers game was a tad suspect, but ultimately I think the right people went over.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3