DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: WARGAMES III - 11/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Hot damn, that Women's WarGames match was fantastic. Dakota's turn was great and I almost didn't believe they'd go through with it until she hesitated for just a second after getting out of the cage before beating the shit out of Tegan. Loved how Shayna's overconfidence after Dakota's turn pretty much led to her own downfall when she introduced the cuffs and instead ended getting cuffed together with Rhea(her face when it happened was fucking awesome). Easily MOTN to me.

Triple threat was kinda just there. Got distracted for a major chunk of Balor/Riddle, so I may re-watch it on Monday.

The main felt like a room-temperature cup of water. If KO was turning back the clock like with the gear and the tron, I'd have wished he'd bring back the violence of the old KO cause this match needed that kind of shot in the arm. Really didn't like the finish. I know Ciampa took care of Cole the best he could, but damn, that was terrifying to watch happen. Also, showing Britt on-camera was pretty messed up, accidental or not.

• Like 3

What I loved is that Regal is a rare authority figure that is feared by everyone, the one guy everyone listens to and doesn't threaten to assault. So when Kai laid hands on him, even though it wasn't a big blow or something that put him down, it got a huge pop and made her look even crazier. If they keep Nox off TV for a month or two, her return to kick Dakota's teeth in is going to be a huge moment

• Like 10

Yeah, the women's wargames was definitely MOTN. Dakota's turn was so well done; she's the first to put hands on Regal after his surgery, right?

Shirai taking out her own teamate was so on character. KLR with the great heel table tease, I still remember first seeing her on Joey Ryan's youtube channel, she's so much more confident now.

Why does Finn Balor's offense come off so much better as a heel?

Reaper Chiampa. And I really feel for UE having to work Sunday after this.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, The Natural said:

044_NXT_11232019ej_1013--87e999e29c8e4ef

056_NXT_11232019ej_0865--67117e6964d15a0

Watched the Women's WarGames match again and I liked it even more second time round. Great match. MOTN and one of the best bouts this year.

I love Shayna's "aw FUCK" look in this picture. Rhea Ripley is a god damn STAR and if she doesn't take the belt off Shayna asap then I don't know what we are doing anymore. It's going to take an act of god to keep Io as a heel at this point as scary talented as she is, especially with stuff like that insane moonsault. Why would I want to boo her?

But Dakota Kai went all in on her turn and it was GREAT. Like @Sky Blue Sam said, no one ever touches Regal, so when she did, she looked like an even bigger asshole and it was tremendous. You can spin so many feuds based off that turn alone.

This was the match of the night and as much as I love all the guys involved in the men's wargames(can we get more of Keith Lee just fucking WRECKING dudes, by the way), this should have been the main event

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I feel for the wrestlers who wrestled in WarGames and will wrestle at the Survivor Series.

At least they can be given an easy ride in the elimination matches. You suspect Ciampa won't be seeing a ton of ring time. 

2 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Slightly off topic, any Ripley matches I should check out ASAP? 

Her run in the last MYC was really good. The Catanzaro match was a fun bully vs underdog match, and the Io match in the semi final was great. It's a real coming out party for her, especially as the common belief was she wasn't expecting it, as Tegan was the likely winner of the whole thing before her leg went vs Rhea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My homeboy that I watched the show with killed me during the main when he said that DD looked like the super-sized baby of Seth Green and Crimson. 

Maybe they're saving it for today, but I really could've done with Keith Lee doing more awesome Keith Lee things. 

Also it feels like the NXT women’s direction went from a bit of a stagnant mess a month or so ago to now having very clear direction until WM. Ripley over Shayna, Shayna to main roster (RR winner?), then Ripley on to Io. Meanwhile Kai/Knox, leading to Ripley/Kai. And all these people are super over at the moment.

Business is picking up for the ladies. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

I love Shayna's "aw FUCK" look in this picture. Rhea Ripley is a god damn STAR and if she doesn't take the belt off Shayna asap then I don't know what we are doing anymore. It's going to take an act of god to keep Io as a heel at this point as scary talented as she is, especially with stuff like that insane moonsault. Why would I want to boo her?

Io's first heel turn pretty much went exactly this way. She won the 5*GP in Stardom, formed a heel stable with Yoshiko, and was the most cocky shit around. The woman still couldn't be booed. Even her turn on her partner Mayu years later is looked at more of a tweener thing in Stardom's eyes because they had already known she wouldn't be accepted as a proper heel by then.

4 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Slightly off topic, any Ripley matches I should check out ASAP? 

Rhea's best matches in WWE are easily the Io semi-finals match from the MYC and last night's War Games. Rhea was so much damn better last night than she was a year ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Bryan, its your fault for not knowing. Lazy fuck.

Yeah, I found this to be nitpicky. It's not like you couldn't check social media to see. Do we need endless recaps on the main show? Plus, Dave said you knew she was hurt. 

• Like 1

Loved the women’s match. Rhea and Candice were great underdogs and they came up with a great way to make the win believable. They’ve been planting the seeds for Dakota’s turn for weeks but it still came off really good and made the crowd explode. Kai showed a lot of fire and I’m curious to see how heel Dakota plays out. Lots of intriguing stuff in the division right now. 

That women's wargames was just fantastic. It was a cool side effect of how protected Shayna's been that she could lose due to her own error while outnumbering their opponents and not be weakened by it. Also Io had taken herself out by doing something amazingly dangerous. Really clever, satisfying finish.

The triple threat was decent but too long, and the finish wasn't really visually logical enough for me. They should just open Survivor Series with Peter taking Cole to the woodshed and winning the damn thing imo, but I guess that probably doesn't fit with their plans for Ciampa to try to reclaim his title

Riddle-Balor was rock solid, was not counterproductively trying to steal the show and served to effectively re-establish Balor's deathmove

Cole's first table bump through the one he needlessly leant against the barrier was a hilariously unnecessary kayfabe self-inflicted injury, the one for the finish was a terrifying real life self-inflicted injury. Keith Lee should win the big one sooner or later, what a talent

Edited by Firebreaker Chip
  • Like 1