DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: WARGAMES III - 11/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

49 minutes ago, Peck said:

BRITT BAKER IS NXT!

In all seriousness, I'm genuinely intrigued how that came about. Did the camera man not know who she was, followed by the producer not knowing who she was, so they decided to show her.. which meant Mauro had to basically acknowledge her? Or did they know and just not care? Was it subterfuge to get her in trouble with AEW?

And did Britt talk to AEW first about her being there? And being in the front row? And did she know they'd show her on camera and just not care? 

Fascinating.

45 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Needs the ol' TNA level of pettiness caption that reads Dr. Britt Baker, AEW "superstar".

I see a scalping at the hands of Awesome Kong and Brandi in Britt's future. 

The women's match was so fucking good. Kudos for making it believable that a team down 2 members could actually win. I just wish Bazler and Ripley were handcuffed together longer and had a bit more of a slugfest. The men's match was decent as well, but as mentioned, more of a series of spots than an actual brawl. I had talked myself into Shawn Michaels being the sub, but Owens was a great choice.

Those little cages are kind of silly, but really helped make the attack by Kai on Nox.

Didn't bother watching the triple threat, as none of those dudes interest me and I had to finish packing up my place for fumigation on Monday.

11 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

That’s what Tegan gets for being a shitty friend to Dakota. 

It's not Tegan's fault Rhea picked her over Dakota. Granted, Tegan could have given her spot to Dakota.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

The triple threat was 5-7 minutes too long. It wasn't bad per say, but at some point it just started to drag.

I honestly didn't pay a super amount of attention to Balor/Riddle.

The men's War Games match was generally good, but paled in comparison to the first NXT War Games which isn't super surprising. This just didn't feel like enough of a proper fight/brawl at various points with them clearly killing time for the next big moment or spot. All that said, there were some neat spots, and Owens' appearance was awesome. It will be interesting to see if Owens is actually moved to NXT again or if this was just about kicking the Undisputed Era's asses.

The women's War games was fantastic. The pacing and action was great. I loved the big moment with Kai's turn. That was just so beautiful with her trying to cripple her best friend. Loved Shayna casually walking down as she celebrated her team's obvious victory early. The finish was pretty much perfect with handcuffs coming into play after Shayna stupidly brought them in. This was easily MOTN and easily the best women's match in NXT this year. This was the best match and performance I can recall many of the women having in NXT. Candice might have been the weakest one here and even she looked pretty good. Why the hell was this not the main event? I like Owens but his appearance was not bigger than this.

Anyways I enjoyed the show if only for the War games matches.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

I felt the women's War Games was way stronger than the men's as well.  I liked pretty much everything about it including Dakota Kai's turn.  I don't mind Rhea picking up the win here as it was only a pin fall,  if the rules were someone has to surrender like they used to be then I think losing to 4:2 odds would have looked dumb but here it worked. 

The men's version peaked with Keith Lee's flurry of offense and from there I felt it was kinda weak.  Ciampa's mask was great.  

I don't see how any of these NXT dudes can possibly win a match tomorrow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I’m apparently the outsider in thinking the main was dog shit, but I resent the War Games match being “watch us do spots!” Instead of “watch us settle an issue between people who despise each other. Women’s War Games basically exposed the Men’s as nothing more then a spot fest, which is a waste of Lee, Roderick, O’Reilly, and Owens. Match felt like it took for god damned ever to me.

Everything involving EU is just spot-watching.

I thought the Preshow match was good, I'm happy to see Strictland on the card an Garza is insanely talented. I see he an Rush are going to keep feuding which is dope. That women's WarGames was Amazing, usually "First time ever " Women's matches are forced and don't really deliver but this felt like something I'd watch again. The other WarGames don't feel like something I'd want to revisit even the main event. Lee really stood out though he has a presence and it's not just because he's capable of doing things he shouldn't have to. I'm so used to Balor losing on the main roster that is weird to see him get wins. I wouldve rather Riddle won but if they want to finally make Balor look strong than that's cool because he needs too.

When it became clear the women's match was going to be 4 on 2 I figured it would feature the face team getting beaten down the entire time yet squeak out some sort of contrived fuck finish. They not only made the disadvantaged team come off as having a legit chance, but made the best match of the show out of it. I wonder who the agent was for the bout.

I don't have much else to add that other people haven't touched on, but I was pleasantly surprised Mauro was a bit more restrained than normal tonight.

• Like 1

Please Hunter, please, for the love of God, build the next 12-24 months of NXT around "Keith Lee - Invincible Champion".

There is a solid 12 months of him getting face pops before turning on the fans for a heel run.

He is fucking MONEY!

• Like 2

LOVED the main event. Fucking awesome. If I had one complaint it would be the same one I've had for each of the WarGames matches they've done, which is that far too much time is spent in just the one ring. There should be brawling all over the fucking place, but every time, for the majority of the match, every congregates in just one ring.

Oh, and if I'm allowed a second complaint, these matches desperately need color. We'll never get that except for hardway color, but that's one of the key ingredients for WarGames. It's like making chocolate chip cookies and leaving out the vanilla extract.

The women's WarGames match also delivered in a big way. I called Dakota turning heel a year ago before she got injured, but I thought she would wind up being the Reek to Shayna's Ramsay Bolton. Still, her heel turn was vicious and it sets up another program, which is good. I think the only thing I didn't care for was that 4 v 2 are too large of odds to overcome. Even still, Rhea winning was awesome.

Other than that, fucking great to see Kevin Owens back in NXT. I hope it isn't just for night. For a second, I thought Cult of Personality was going to play. KO's theme was just as good. It's also crazy how much of a difference you see in everyone in NXT. KO was fucking unleashed tonight and this is the guy that is pure money, not whatever they've been doing to him on the main roster for the last however many years.

Rhea and Io are so ridiculously over and awesome and it isn't even funny. Keep these women in NXT, get that title off of Shayna, and let Rhea and Io battle for it for 3 or 4 months.

And finally, Keith Lee is such a star in the making. That dude just has it, but he's another example of someone that is a sure fire, can't miss wrestler that WWE always fumbles. Again, keep him in NXT.

• Like 1