DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 21: Magomedsharipov vs. Kattar (11/9/2019) - Moscow, Russia (CSKA Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Man, if there was any, ANY fight that needed two more rounds, it was this fight. Just scintillating stuff. Arguably, the tide was starting to turn in Kattar's favor. They gotta do it again. 

• Like 1

I don't think the UFC would want to run that back unless it's something like Zabit defending his title against a streaking Kattar. Two of the best fighters in MMA though. What a god damn treat. Rest of the card was kind of just there though there were a couple of nice finishes. 

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I don't think the UFC would want to run that back unless it's something like Zabit defending his title against a streaking Kattar. Two of the best fighters in MMA though. What a god damn treat. Rest of the card was kind of just there though there were a couple of nice finishes. 

It's interesting in that before JDS was out of the main event, I didn't really see this fight as a true, definitive title eliminator. With Ortega vs. TKZ at the end of the year, I think whomever is picked to fight the Holloway vs. Volkanovski winner is still up in the air.

With how thoroughly Holloway dismantled Ortega, I feel like if Ortega should beat Jung (which he should), he'd still need another win over a contender but that's just me. He was completely outclassed by Max.

Zabit vs. either Volkonovski or Holloway... I need that in my life. The output through at least the first couple of rounds would be exquisite. I could see Holloway surviving the initial onslaught and outlasting Zabit until the latter fades and is easy pickings. I hope Magomedsharipov can either adjust his pacing or increase his stamina because if he doesn't and can't stop Holloway early it could get really ugly. His excellent footwork and head movement were fading hard in that third round today. Max would feast.

20 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

With how thoroughly Holloway dismantled Ortega, I feel like if Ortega should beat Jung (which he should), he'd still need another win over a contender but that's just me. He was completely outclassed by Max.

Zabit vs. either Volkonovski or Holloway... I need that in my life. The output through at least the first couple of rounds would be exquisite. I could see Holloway surviving the initial onslaught and outlasting Zabit until the latter fades and is easy pickings. I hope Magomedsharipov can either adjust his pacing or increase his stamina because if he doesn't and can't stop Holloway early it could get really ugly. His excellent footwork and head movement were fading hard in that third round today. Max would feast.

A lot of things can happened, but I just feel Holloway has been in so many big fights now that it's hard seeing Zabit surviving a real war after three or four rounds. You can argue that if Volkanovski pulls off the upset, that is just as tough a matchup. Because he does so much stuff in a relatively short amount of time, Zabit goes on autopilot if none of that produces a finish. You don't want to be against Max Holloway or even Alexander Volkanovski if you're out of ideas after three rounds. That's why I want to see how Zabit does in a five round fight against real contenders before he gets a title shot. He needs to feel that environment. You want to be able to make those adjustments before you get to a title fight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Man, if there was any, ANY fight that needed two more rounds, it was this fight. Just scintillating stuff. Arguably, the tide was starting to turn in Kattar's favor. They gotta do it again. 

Really?  I thought it was good but I wasn't as high on it as you until Kattar started turning it up in the 3rd.

12 minutes ago, AA484 said:

Really?  I thought it was good but I wasn't as high on it as you until Kattar started turning it up in the 3rd.

Yup, Kattar was right in Zabit's face and wasn't backing down from the outset. To me, it's always amazing to watch Zabit go through his arsenal. That trip takedown in the second round IIRC was slick as hell. To see a diverse striker like Zabit be pressured and try to become calculating as the fight goes on is fascinating.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

• jaedmc unpinned this topic