DVDVR Message Board

NJPW things before WK 14

Archibald

11 hours ago, Evil Otto said:

Okay, I had to check.  It's a close call, but it's ブンブン on his singlet, which is technically correct, but when's he moving, it definitely looks more like ブツブツ (boots boots).  However, if he wants 100% "boom boom" accuracy, he should make it ブーンブーン, with the extended vowel, or even ブームブーム, which would appear to be the most accurate of all.  

Also, something tells me if it were phonetically wrong and said "boots boots", Yano would have told him, or at the very least they would make a in-ring bit out of it, and hilarity would have ensued.   I'm going to give all the parties concerned a pass on this one.  Crisis averted!  ギリギリセーフ!

Yeah, on further review I see the BUN BUN characters now. I blame our old TV (about to be rectified) and the horsey design.

• Like 1

WTL updated before the finals:

Since Sanada is clearly going to challenge ZSJ for RevPro's title then it becomes obvious that this is going to be a big win for Juice and Finlay, and likely a big win at WK as well.

Was anything worth watching? Nothing really surprised me, but I'd say that stuff that looked good on paper delivered and other stuff was just there. One unexpected thing was probably KENTA's post match interviews, he absolutely killed it with his comments about Ishii, Goto and Yoshi while doing some weird fantasy video tropes.

I wouldn't write off a three way tie because SANADA could challenge ZSJ one night and be in the tag title match the other night, I could see this happening just to give EVIL an important match at WK. But it's pretty much a lock that EVIL & SANADA aren't winning tag league outright.

WTL finals was a great show, some spoilers below so don't read further if you don't want to:

Outside of opening two matches rest of the card had strong matches and to be honest most of WTL had decent to good matches, but it felt a bit lame because nothing of importance was actually happening. Well this show had lots of stuff happening.

One of the happenings was Jericho's new video for Tanahashi feud and this is probably first time that it didn't get much reaction and I think all other happenings overshadowed it. Time to wrap up his NJPW run?

Moxley showed up and attacked Archer, they want to do Texas deathmach at WK. He also hit his ddt on Suzuki so figures this could be next match if they continue using Mox and Suzuki isn't leaving.

Okada was mocking Ibushi this entire tour and Ibushi finally snapped.

Liger did his farewell promo and we got a video from Dragon Lee (now calling himself Ryu Lee), there was much confusion to what it means because Liger then talked about Hiromu and people started thinking that Liger's last match is triple threat against Dragon Lee and Hiromu, but it looks like Dragon Lee challenge Liger for "one of his last matches" so it could end up happening on one of those Road To shows.

Yoshi got his moment by rolling up GoD.

Finals was match of the tournament, but I think that most people are not going to love it as much since most people didn't watch WTL and similar to Ibushi/White G1 finals they were doing various callbacks to their league matches. Basically stuff that was winning matches was near falls here and if you don't know that they won matches with those sequences then it isn't as strong. Either way it was Finlay's moment to shine and he shined.

• Like 1

With WK card being out last Road To shows got the cards as well:

https://www.njpw1972.com/tornament/61313?showCards=1

https://www.njpw1972.com/tornament/61314?showCards=1

https://www.njpw1972.com/tornament/61315?showCards=1

It has some strong tag team action and teases all possible combinations of double gold match on 1/5. And Hiromu makes his return here.

British J-Cup tournament matches have been uploaded on NJPW World: https://njpwworld.com/pg/s_archive_135_1

It doesn't really have much to do with WK, but it possible has some BotSJ 2020 implications. Anyway, this Sunday they are doing another show that will have Evil/Sanada vs ZSJ/Suzuki teaser for title match at WK and deal with some fallout from British J-Cup show.