DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/6/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Random shit:

• Gotta disagree with @Nice Guy Eddie on how good that distraction was.  It felt really contrived and took way too long.  If this company wants to be less sports-entertainmenty and not take credibility from their refs, then loong distraction sports aren't how to do it
  • The Inner Circle parody promo was amazing.  I enjoyed everyone's title under their name, "Ruffian," "Street Thug," "The Big Hurt."  Also loved everyone giving impassioned testimonials for Jericho except Hager, who just stares.
  • Cody calls Jericho a "Carny Succubus" and Vince "never met a $5 word he didn't like" McMahon is like GOD DAMMIT BUY MORE THESAURUSES FOR OUR WRITERS
  • I, too, enjoy Shanna for both her amazing in-ring talent and for other reasons more in line with @goodhelmet
  • Between PAC and Jericho, someone in the back needs hide the spray tan.  Dudes looking like Trump out there.
  • I think @johnny law mentioned this but, yes, Evil Uno's new gear is a massive improvement.  The Creepers also got shirts, so maybe it was a group discount.  Stu Grayson continues to be Great Value Kratos, though.
  • JR seems to have chilled out a bit on crapping on the product, but there was one point where he couldn't help but criticize the ref for not getting the wrestlers back in the ring.
  • Props to Aubrey Edwards for catching a rope to the back on the head (she was leaning between the ropes counting when Omega hit the ropes) and continuing like nothing happened.
  • Shawn Spears continues to be a boring, black hole of a wrestler
  • Fans chanting "cowboy shit" like that really needs to ensure that Page doesn't go heel anytime soon.  Related: loved Excalibur apologizing to standards and practices in Canada during that chant.
  • Cody's lisp is some next level shit.  His tongue is fighting to get out of his mouth so bad that Ortiz's tongue is like "dude, chill the fuck out."
Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, just drew said:

I've said it a thousand times, but imagine having him and Rollins under contract and thinking Rollins was the top guy of the two,. 

I'll extend it. You choose two of the three among Roman, Seth and Dean and you still miss the obvious choice. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I’ll echo the Hayter love. She really is jaw jacking as soon as she’s there, it’s great, old school heel shit. The women’s matches seem so random right now, they need to give them more of a story to work with. Right now it’s just matches and they aren’t good enough to be just that.

One match and she won me over. Hayter putting Dr. Baker in a camel clutch not for the win but just so as to render Baker defenseless against a Wet Willie (while first playing to the back row!) was inspired shit.

Actually grinding on a side headlock instead of just using it as a rest spot was the cherry on top.

Still a couple weeks behind on the DVR, looking forward to seeing what she's been up to since.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Random shit:

• Gotta disagree with @Nice Guy Eddie on how good that distraction was.  It felt really contrived and took way too long.  If this company wants to be less sports-entertainmenty and not take credibility from their refs, then loong distraction sports aren't how to do it
  • Props to Aubrey Edwards for catching a rope to the back on the head (she was leaning between the ropes counting when Omega hit the ropes) and continuing like nothing happened.
  • Fans chanting "cowboy shit" like that really needs to ensure that Page doesn't go heel anytime soon.  Related: loved Excalibur apologizing to standards and practices in Canada during that chant.

Re: Bryce - I have mixed feelings. I like that they spend the time to work in a distraction spot, but the length and over the top nature of it is counterproductive, at least given the overall presentation of AEW.

I legit thought they were doing a ref bump spot when Omega ran full speed into the ropes while Aubrey was right there. She should have been bent over more, but Omega definitely should have adjusted. I was amazed at how quick she recovered, because she got hit hard.

The cowboy shit chant (one of them anyways) was kind of weird, because it quickly and loudly came from the end of the arena opposite the ramp. My brother, who is a big AEW fan, actually commented that they sounded piped in. 

Ending brawl seemed like straight fire to me.  I would have cut the dive off the entrance set as I think it subtracted from the fight aspect of the angle but I'm just being picky.  I've come around on the barbed wire broom gimmick despite it being inherently silly.  The good thing about it is that they will be able to swing the broom full force and avoid the sledgehammer/baseball bat conundrum of having to do weird swings to protect the other guy.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Re: Bryce - I have mixed feelings. I like that they spend the time to work in a distraction spot, but the length and over the top nature of it is counterproductive, at least given the overall presentation of AEW.

He had to turn away from a guy actually in the ring to deal with a guy on the apron.  It makes Bryce look stupid in order to do the bit.

• Like 1

It's a day later and I'm still blown away at how hot that crowd was. It's amazing to watch AEW every week and see how hot their crowds are and then Raw and SmackDown are just damn near dead. Even Eric Bischoff remarked to Vince before Eric was fired that AEW's crowds are heavily invested in what is happening in the ring and how that's different than what happens in WWE.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Cody can win by dq, right?

After all they've done to differentiate themselves from their competition, they wouldn't dare. This would be a huge mistake.

Thoughts on Dynamite:

• PAC vs Trent? was good. Happy to see Trent? getting some shine in a singles match. The ref blew it multiple times in this one, not just the finish. He clearly turned and stared right at OC standing in the ring. Sort of undercuts his sense of urgency when it came to stopping Chuckie T. Really bad, distracting ref blunders. Minor league stuff that undermined a big league match. 
  • Cody's promo was good. Nothing to say that hasn't been said already. Him alluding to the match beyond was a great tease.
  • Uno looks better wearing a shirt, but that's nothing we didn't know when he was wrestling without one. My criticisms of Private Party have already been covered by others. Those medals they got from the trophy store were bush league and completely unnecessary. 
  • I can see both arguments, but I'd have cut the house mics during the Jericho vignette. I know they wanted the laughs, but they also caught some garbage chants. The material in the package was strong.
  • Riho is popular, which is nice. Hayter has potential. Kong can't get here soon enough.
  • Shawn Spears vs Joe Janela.. Have they built this on Dynamite yet, or has it just been Twitter and Dark? Probably explains why this was on the show. 
  • The Moxley-Omega package was good, but clearly illustrates to me that this team has a lot of room for improvement. Good thing a camera was there to catch Mox escaping from the hospital. #PureSports
  • I like Adam Page more every week. The SSP was on point. Liked Excalibur winking at TSN.
  • Ending brawl was great. In addition to building the PPV, it got me excited about a potential Moxley/Omega vs Santana/Ortiz match. 
  • Crowd was good throughout.

Overall, one of their better shows so far. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 3

That Cody Rhodes promo tonight. Amazing. 

First time I've thought much of him since the Dashing Cody gimmick. 

Such a good delivery style. It didn't feel like someone reciting off a mental check list of every bullet point they needed to get across. The inflections at different points even got their own little reactions. And it stood out as different to the WWE style as he responded to what had been said about him. He addressed the previous points and he made it seem like what the other guy said actually impacted him in some way.

Great stuff.

There's so much dead weight and it's still delivering.

I wish they'd scrap the women's division until someone of note is ready to jump. That tag match was a clusterfuck. If you find JR going into business for himself annoying, surely Emi trying to work face for no reason just as bad.

I'd be pretty happy never to see the Dark Order again also. Indyriffic shit.

Also frustrating that they struck gold with Darby Allin and now he's seemingly disappeared

Is it weird I find Private Party reminiscent of the Steiners? Certainly not in terms of how hard hitting they are but they way they work their heat segments and the pacing are very similar.

That Jericho promo. I am dead.

Not sure if I'm in the camp of Tully being wasted on Spears or just wasted in general. He doesn't really do much. They rely on the older fanbase remembering him as a total piece of shit. 

I can't see how there's not some drama about Dustin either being in the Match Beyond or needing to be subbed out. They love a good callback too much to not do a "seal the deal with a hug and a kiss" throwback. Page turning heel does make sense now that you mention it but whilst the motivations mentioned hold up, the execution is difficult without wandering into dueling authority figure promo time at the start of each show.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's a day later and I'm still blown away at how hot that crowd was. It's amazing to watch AEW every week and see how hot their crowds are and then Raw and SmackDown are just damn near dead. Even Eric Bischoff remarked to Vince before Eric was fired that AEW's crowds are heavily invested in what is happening in the ring and how that's different than what happens in WWE.

I'm even more surprised by it after reading in here about just how many empty seats there were all over the venue. That place was fucking MOLTEN in a handful of spots, and really, really loud all night long.

• Like 1

It is interesting that Charlotte is one of their biggest markets TV wise, but they didn't sell out. It's not even like the tickets are all that expensive. I would assume the prices here are the same or lower than Chicago/Hoffman Estates. Our floor seats are $125 each. Ticket prices for good concerts are more than that for shittier seats and tickets to WWE in that price range don't put you in the 4th row. At least I don't think they do.

This is where they’re at after the first three shows. The ppv this weekend still has what looks like 1500 seats available, and that’s with them never opening the upper level on the camera side. In a few weeks we’ll start hitting the shows that were announced after the tv debut, we’ll see if attendance starts picking up. 

Edit: the Corpus Christi show looks really bleak right now. They aren’t opening the camera side on any of the shows, but it looks like that’s only sold about 1k tickets. 

Edited by matt925

25 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Edit: the Corpus Christi show looks really bleak right now. They aren’t opening the camera side on any of the shows, but it looks like that’s only sold about 1k tickets. 

Yeah, that’s the scary one, and it’s right around Christmas. The Jacksonville show went on sale recently too, and the sales have been slow. Trials, and tribulations of a new wrestling promotion.

This niche product for hardcore Marks is proving that it appeals to almost nobody outside of the the elite and their circle of friends. What a joke.

The funniest part is these hard headed idiots are gonna continue to stubbornly put on a workrate heavy show with almost no storylines as viewers continue to leave in droves. 

1 minute ago, Count of Monte Cristo said:

This niche product for hardcore Marks is proving that it appeals to almost nobody outside of the the elite and their circle of friends. What a joke.

The funniest part is these hard headed idiots are gonna continue to stubbornly put on a workrate heavy show with almost no storylines as viewers continue to leave in droves. 

This is the sort of bold view that even I'm not expressing.

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

This is the sort of bold view that even I'm not expressing.

Well they’ve lost almost 50% of the audience that sampled them in a month and their attendance is already dropping to alarming levels. 

Should we wait until they’ve lost 75% of their audience and are drawing 500 fans to express bold views?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Count of Monte Cristo said:

Well they’ve lost almost 50% of the audience that sampled them in a month and their attendance is already dropping to alarming levels. 

Should we wait until they’ve lost 75% of their audience and are drawing 500 fans to express bold views?

Who’s alt account is this? 

• Haha 2