DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/6/2019

Dolfan in NYC

37 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't think any of these wrestlers are unknowns to most of the AEW audience watching at home. There might be those "lapsed fans" or casual WWE watchers or whatever that tune in, but I think what you're going to see going forward, for better or worse, is AEW digging their heels into the existing fanbase who watch stuff like Being The Elite or know of wrestlers from the indies, etc.

Second thing, I'm pretty sure there isn't a February PPV.

I thought they were doing a PPV every 3 months.  February would be next on the schedule. 

Also, I had no idea who Shanna or Hayter were last week. Just random women. It absolutely wouldn't hurt to give them a quick profile.  Same thing for any wrestler or team that pops up... even the jobbers.  They are doing this with Wardlow. Cut 3 or 4 minutes from each match (including a no dive outside rule for any match in the first hour) and mix in some vignettes/short interviews.  

• Like 1

The last Dark match was Scorpio Sky/Kaz/CIMA vs H2/Sabian.

PAC/Trent was my favorite match, so it kinda went downhill from there for me. 

I thought Dark Order came across better tonight, and Uno looked better wearing a top. That said the live crowd was pretty dead for them. Did SCU and Lucha Bros wearing actual medals look as corny on TV as it did live? The Bronze Medal is clearly also known as the put in the match to take the fall medal.

Riho got a surprisingly big pop when she was introduced, and that was probably the best women’s match they’ve had on Dynamite.

Spears barely got any reaction despite having a fucking Horseman with him in Charlotte. They need to sign LA Park to come in and beat his ass. Cutler’s a fine jobber.

Cody’s promo was great, as was the Jericho parody. The ending brawl was great, but I wondered if Sammy got hurt because he wasn’t around for it.

This definitely wasn’t a sellout crowd. Almost one entire side was tarped off, and they moved a lot of people down so the lower area would look full for the cameras. There was also a lot of the floor that didn’t have any seating. That said, they filmed a BTE segment afterwards and said they’d definitely be back, so I guess it was fine.

I almost forgot, there was this very southern lady, probably in her late 50s/early 60s, rocking an Adam Page shirt who was very into it. She started getting really loud during the women’s tag match and saying “Let’s go, Ree-Hoe!” When Freddi Mercury started to try to get the fans to clap along after heeling it up earlier, this lady was not having it. My highlight of the night came when Janela ran out for the save and she thought he was Jungle Boy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

I thought they were doing a PPV every 3 months.  February would be next on the schedule. 

Also, I had no idea who Shanna or Hayter were last week. Just random women. It absolutely wouldn't hurt to give them a quick profile.  Same thing for any wrestler or team that pops up... even the jobbers.  They are doing this with Wardlow. Cut 3 or 4 minutes from each match (including a no dive outside rule for any match in the first hour) and mix in some vignettes/short interviews.  

I think the idea is to have only 4 PPVs a year, isn't it? Double Or Nothing, All Out, Full Gear and ???.

Also they haven't done a Wardlow segment in a few weeks, right? Unless I missed it tonight.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

This definitely wasn’t a sellout crowd. Almost one entire side was tarped off, and they moved a lot of people down so the lower area would look full for the cameras. There was also a lot of the floor that didn’t have any seating. That said, they filmed a BTE segment afterwards and said they’d definitely be back, so I guess it was fine.

Yeah, they did pretty good with covering that for TV. But I could tell they struggled to sell for that place. 

I love main eventers in tag matches and I love interconnecting angles. That main event was a blast and right down my alley.

Jericho selling the Cross Rhodes like a sack of shit. ? Mox looked so dope charging through the audience. I preferred the Darby one in week 2 but this was great. God dang do I love a Wednesday night wrestling.

Tony Schiavone representing the lapsed fan is perfect. He's so great in his role!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think the idea is to have only 4 PPVs a year, isn't it? Double Or Nothing, All Out, Full Gear and ???.

Also they haven't done a Wardlow segment in a few weeks, right? Unless I missed it tonight.

I am speculating on the February date but it would make sense...

Double Or Nothing - May

All Out/In - August

Full Gear - November

??? - February

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

I am speculating on the February date but it would make sense...

Double Or Nothing - May

All Out/In - August

Full Gear - November

??? - February

Yeah, I keep forgetting in my head just how far away February and May are from one another.

ALL OUT will probably be in the beginning of September, though, if they want to keep it being a Labor Day Weekend show.

Edited by Casey

Holy shit THAT Cody promo was the best babyface shit I've seen since Cody's last promo where he took the boys to fight Inner Circle in their suite.  But tonight's was absolute fire. 

But then..  but then...   they follow it up with one of the funniest fucking vignettes I've seen in a long time.    Everything is clicking with this feud.  

Plus as others have already said....       MATCH BEYOND.    FUCK.   

Soul train Jones is just great.  Fantastic show. 

• Like 4

My only complaint is all the unnecessary picture in pictures during lull periods and not matches 

Codys promo was fucking awesome and that ending was a ton of fun so ECW with all the top angles bleeding into each other.

Dynamite has been great so far. Full Gear should be really good.

After that ending, and what I think is likely to happen at Full Gear...

Cody, Omega, Young Bucks, MJF & Moxley vs Jericho, Hager, Sammy, Santana, Ortiz & Adam Page.

THE MATCH BEYOND.

Page turns on Cody, costing him the title. He was Cody's best friend, stuck by his side through all of the Bullet Club stuff with Kenny in Japan, then MJF came around and Cody forgot about Page. Everyone is an Executive Vice President, even Cody's wife has a backstage role... but Page is just a wrestler. No separate dressing room, no fancy executive title. Nothing. Basically, jealousy. Classic heel turn (cowboy) shit.

Moxley is on Team Elite only because the Inner Circle attacked him first. Who wins at Full Gear, I won't speculate, but maybe he gains some respect for Omega after their unsanctioned match, too. This thing has been going since May, I don't think you need more than one match for this feud anyway. It's been slightly botched, but that's nobody's fault. It would have been nice to have one more match, the ALL OUT match, but whatever, the past is the past.

I don't usually involve myself in fantasy booking but I think this is entirely possible. Especially the Adam Page stuff. Everybody expects MJF to turn on Cody, but it's actually the guy who was MJF before MJF was in Cody's life.

• Like 1

Yup. I’m all in on Brandi now. Her past few weeks segments were hella awkward. But her spinning it as now she’s the bully, good stuff. I’m excited for her to have Kong kill people. 

Jericho is so great. Cody is also great. I like great.

So was the Bryce 2-count a weird spot botch or did I miss like a rope break or something? Other than that, I was very into the opener. I like seeing tag guys in singles with their squad backing them up. 

Woman’s tag match was good. Hayrer won me over. First time I saw her I felt her style was more of a heel caricature. But the more I see her the more I like her. Especially when throwing around Riho. The division is coming along the more they get time to introduce and show everyone off.

I also get Spears w/ Tully now. I like that Tully is with a midcard hell and molding him. To me it adds another dimension to Spears. A guy that probably would have been beaten by Brandon Cutler of all people without Tully yelling to him what to do. 

They really are pushing Private Party. Adding them to the rematch at Full Gear allows them to have Lucha Bros vs SCU again without being a complete rehash of a few weeks ago. The win over the Young Bucks is still giving the rub.

The main event and after brawl was a great send off before the PPV. Just when I thought it would end, Matt jumps off the stage and Jericho bumps into the cameraman. They really know how to book a brawl.

Full Gear better have barbed wire shenanigans. 

• Like 1