DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/6/2019

Dolfan in NYC

That was how you do a fucking go-home show.  This was probably my favorite Dynamite episode yet.  The women's match was pretty damn decent but I hope they don't make a habit of pinning champs as build-up to championship matches.  The main event was pretty damn fun, despite the shitty finish.  Of course, the post-match stuff was nuts and managed to tie all the big matches together well.

That Cody promo was straight fire and has me sold more than ever on the Full Gear match.Then, that stupid Inner Circle video was nuts too and maybe it didn't make me want to see Full Gear any more than I already did but it sure was entertaining.

Good stuff and Full Gear looks amazing with the triple threat tag, Bucks/LAX, Cody/Jericho, and Moxley/Omega all being bangers.

• Like 7

Holy shit. With all the garbage wwe is putting on my screen, it's awesome to have a fun two hours of wrestling like that. That Cody promo...wow. I'm not entirely sure I thought he had that in him. Everything Mox does is cool to me. I've said it a thousand times, but imagine having him and Rollins under contract and thinking Rollins was the top guy of the two,. I dug the women's tag. I don't know much about any of them, but they worked hard and won the crowd over. And me. The one thing I didn't like was Spears taking a powder when Janela came out. Taking a powder when the guy who took a powder against Enzo Amore hits the ring should be an instant credibility killer. And that main was so damn fun with the brawl after. I'm gonna have to buy Full Gear now. Shit.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, AxB said:

No idea what's on Dark this week - judging by who wasn't on Dynamite I'd say Darby Allin, Jimmy Havoc, Britt Baker and maybe the Bucks & Pround & Powerful (but not against each other, obviously).

Hikaru Shida vs. Big Swole

Shalandra Royal & Shazza McKenzie vs. Leva Bates & Nyla Rose

And an 8 man tag team match that's happening right now. No idea who is involved besides SCU.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I think Jamie Hayter is my new favorite wrestler. Throws bombs like she means it, and fun to watch her really try to get completely unlikable. Plus, if I'm being completely honest, I think she's super pretty, so there's that.

You know how everyone who came through WWE developmental (and Tessa Blanchard) has a rehearsed ring entrance that's all about hitting exact spots on the ramp, at the exact moment to synch with the music? Jamie Hayter doesn't do that. Her trainer is a guy who insists that you should be interacting with the crowd from the second you go through the curtain, to the second you go back through it after. So as a heel, she's always getting in someone's face and talking, whether she's on the way to the ring, or in the ring, or on the apron waiting for the tag. Last week she stole someone's sign and they totally weren't expecting it, because wrestlers don't steal signs any more. 

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I don't know what the deal was with the two count on Black Arrow, Trent? didn't move a fucking muscle. 

I interpreted it as Pac deliberately breaking the pin because he wanted to hurt him with the Brutalizer. But if that was the intent, the announcers completely muffed it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I interpreted it as Pac deliberately breaking the pin because he wanted to hurt him with the Brutalizer. But if that was the intent, the announcers completely muffed it.

The pin was broken because Bryce called it a two count, though.

20 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Private Party seem too rehearsed and not good enough at the transition side of things for my liking. They do great shit, but it doesn't have enough of the linking work to be anything more than  impressive athletically.

This is certainly true. Everything is very convoluted. It's fun for a bit but I could see it getting old really quickly. It's kind of like where Angelico was at in Lucha Underground. Had some fantastic spots but was absolutely dreadful when he wasn't doing said spots. So much of wrestling is the ability to fill the gap between the spots with story and character work. They are pretty shitty at that at this stage aside from Kassidy's high pitched screams and fun mannerisms when he's laying in some strikes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

This is certainly true. Everything is very convoluted. It's fun for a bit but I could see it getting old really quickly. It's kind of like where Angelico was at in Lucha Underground. Had some fantastic spots but was absolutely dreadful when he wasn't doing said spots. So much of wrestling is the ability to fill the gap between the spots with story and character work. They are pretty shitty at that at this stage aside from Kassidy's high pitched screams and fun mannerisms when he's laying in some strikes.

I love you but it's not okay that you approve of this.

Just now, Oyaji said:

Dude, I'm looking for ANYTHING from them other than looking at setting up the next bullshit move.

I hear ya, but that ain't it. At least in my book. Makes me want to mute the channel, if I'm being honest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Attempts at humour in wrestling often fall flat and just goddamn awful particularly in WWE. The Jericho video was very funny and cleverly written too, though I didn't understand a word Virgil said.

Cody's promo and the wild ending may have pushed me to spend money I didn't plan on spending this weekend. $50? Fuck.

• Like 3

I have seen 3 episodes and this was my least favorite overall episode even if it had some of my favorite AEW moments. There were moments I felt like changing the channel and I haven't felt that way with AEW yet. 

The Cody-Jericho feud is carrying this company and that's ok.  It's the best thing going in wrestling today. I think Cody needs to win asap. My buddy thinks it is too soon for Jericho to lose. Imagine arguing over the finish of a match in 2019 where the outcome has actual implications. Amazing!

I really enjoyed the PAC match up until he hit the brainbuster on the floor and it didn't result in a countout and EMTs. The ending ruined this for me. Really enjoyed Beretta in this one. 

I also thought the woman's tag was great. Aesthetically,  I'll take 3 thick women and the little engine that could over the entire WWE women's roster. 

Tully Blanchard is being wasted on Shawn Spears. He needs to be with someone else asap. 

More than anything, these wrestlers that are unfamiliar to the people at home need personality profiles. 30 seconds to a minute explaining why I should give a shit. 

The ending brawl was awesome. It needs to lead to a War Games match. Let this boil until the February PPV.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

You know how everyone who came through WWE developmental (and Tessa Blanchard) has a rehearsed ring entrance that's all about hitting exact spots on the ramp, at the exact moment to synch with the music? Jamie Hayter doesn't do that. Her trainer is a guy who insists that you should be interacting with the crowd from the second you go through the curtain, to the second you go back through it after. So as a heel, she's always getting in someone's face and talking, whether she's on the way to the ring, or in the ring, or on the apron waiting for the tag. Last week she stole someone's sign and they totally weren't expecting it, because wrestlers don't steal signs any more. 

I thought Hayter was awesome. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I hear ya, but that ain't it. At least in my book. Makes me want to mute the channel, if I'm being honest.

Fair but I like how they are not your standard black characters we see on TV, especially for a team that is about the "private party". They are doing their own thing and I appreciate that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, goodhelmet said:

More than anything, these wrestlers that are unfamiliar to the people at home need personality profiles. 30 seconds to a minute explaining why I should give a shit. 

The ending brawl was awesome. It needs to lead to a War Games match. Let this boil until the February PPV.  

I don't think any of these wrestlers are unknowns to most of the AEW audience watching at home. There might be those "lapsed fans" or casual WWE watchers or whatever that tune in, but I think what you're going to see going forward, for better or worse, is AEW digging their heels into the existing fanbase who watch stuff like Being The Elite or know of wrestlers from the indies, etc.

Second thing, I'm pretty sure there isn't a February PPV.

16 minutes ago, AxB said:

Hell yeah. Her character work is phenomenal. First thing I noticed about her in AEW.

I remember thinking it didn't work in Stardom and it came off as lame pandering. She is way more suited to interacting with AEW crowds.

• Like 1

I was probably going to order Full Gear anyway, but tonight's show made sure I didn't wait until Saturday and possibly forget. 

I'm loving the additions of Shanna and Jamie Hayter to the women's division. I feel like the women's division is starting to get on track after Kylie Rae leaving put them behind the 8-ball. I'm interested to see where Awesome Kong as Brandi's monster goes. 

I felt this was the best Dark Order has looked and was hoping they would win. I really like the gimmick, but they needed vignettes from the beginning. I hope AEW is patient with them because they're both very capable in the ring. I like Private Party's gimmick and their athleticism, but I don't like how choreographed most of their offense looks.

I love AEW's closing show brawls. I like how involved everyone looks. I hate when there's supposed to be a hate filled brawl and guys are standing around looking bored out of their minds. I don't feel that way at all when AEW does brawls.

• Like 4

Meltz made a really good point when going over last week's show with Alvarez on WOR. A 2 minute introductory video on Shida paired with a 4 minute squash would've been more beneficial than the 10 minute match she had with Shanna and I don't disagree. I get not wanting to squash Shanna on her debut after she just signed, so use a local talent instead. But some brief videos highlighting who the lesser knowns are would be really beneficial and also would bleed them into talking but save them from having to do it in front of a live audience. I don't necessarily want the squash->promo, rinse-repeat formula old NWA (and current NWA) shows follow. That's too much the other way but while you're trying to establish new wrestlers, support them with high end videos like what they did with Private Party.

And I don't think they are digging their heels in. How many people watch BTE? They have 404k subscribers and most of their eipsodes do between 150-250k. The TV audience is significantly bigger and different than those watching everything The Elite produce. They can cater to the hardcores and new/fringe fans at the same time without alienating either. It's not hard. Don't treat the audience like dummies but let us know who these people are and why we should care with promo videos and inserts.

edit: I forgot to mention that video somebody posted from Shida's twitter. She has the cutest English accent because she learned English from Harry fucking Potter movies. SHOW US THAT, PLZ.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Meltz made a really good point when going over last week's show with Alvarez on WOR. A 2 minute introductory video on Shida paired with a 4 minute squash would've been more beneficial than the 10 minute match she had with Shanna and I don't disagree. I get not wanting to squash Shanna on her debut after she just signed, so use a local talent instead. But some brief videos highlighting who the lesser knowns are would be really beneficial and also would bleed them into talking but save them from having to do it in front of a live audience. I don't necessarily want the squash->promo, rinse-repeat formula old NWA (and current NWA) shows follow. That's too much the other way but while you're trying to establish new wrestlers, support them with high end videos like what they did with Private Party.

And I don't think they are digging their heels in. How many people watch BTE? They have 404k subscribers and most of their eipsodes do between 150-250k. The TV audience is significantly bigger and different than those watching everything The Elite produce. They can cater to the hardcores and new/fringe fans at the same time without alienating either. It's not hard. Don't treat the audience like dummies but let us know who these people are and why we should care with promo videos and inserts.

edit: I forgot to mention that video somebody posted from Shida's twitter. She has the cutest English accent because she learned English from Harry fucking Potter movies. SHOW US THAT, PLZ.

I agree, even though you don't agree with what I said. Would it be beneficial? Well, yeah, absolutely. It's needed, too. But I think it's still a little too early to talk about these flaws like it's some long standing issue, when they've only been on the air for barely over a month. There's growing pains, and that's definitely one of them. Now, if we're well into 2020 and they're still doing this... well, that's fair game, and something that should be fixed immediately. They're still having transition issues for commercial breaks and audio issues occasionally, so I think all of this will be fixed in due time as the show becomes a little more polished.

But.. I still think they're going to dig their heels into the existing fanbase they have. I'd like to see them walk that line with the existing fanbase and try to expand their horizons with the casual/fringe fans, and maybe I'm just conditioned to WWE's shit since I grew up in a post-WCW world for the most part, but given their track record, it seems to be a difficult thing.

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

Nobody has sold Orange Cassidy's kicks in AEW, so this is a weird statement.

That's the point.  Orange doing his bit and the heels being all "what is he doing?" kinda expired awhile ago.  Orange is awesome on the indies.  It doesn't work when a heel acts like a...normal wrestler.

4 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

That's the point.  Orange doing his bit and the heels being all "what is he doing?" kinda expired awhile ago.  Orange is awesome on the indies.  It doesn't work when a heel acts like a...normal wrestler.

Sure, but I think almost everyone in AEW has attacked Orange after he does his kicks, so that kind of takes away the special part about PAC kicking him in the face, no? Granted he wasn't a heel, but when Orange Cassidy debuted, he did it to Tommy Dreamer, who attacked him and eliminated him from the battle royale. Everybody so far has let him get the kicks in, then gets fed up and attacks him.

If anything, within AEW, PAC attacking Orange makes him a normal wrestler within your scenario.