DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 11/6/2019 ​​​​​​​​​

Dolfan in NYC

So, tonight's episode should be interesting.   Advertised:

• Pete Dunne vs. Damien Priest
  • Tommaso Ciampa's war against Adam Cole and UE continues
  • Shayna Baszler & Rhea Ripley start announcing their WarGames teams
  • "Fallout" from the SDL & Raw invasions. 

We'll probably get some more stuff announced as the day goes along.

On the Bump, Rhea and Shayna announced 3 out of their 4 team members.  So it's Rhea/LaRae/Nox/ ? vs Shayna/Io/Belair/?  Rhea rejected the idea of adding Kai to her team, but Kai set up a match with Baszler on tonight's show to prove her worth.

Edited by nofuture

Interesting that they are leaving the other two Horsewomen out and keeping it 4 vs. 4. Neither are great, but I'm just a little disappointed with that. I assume Kai gets hurt in her match with Shayna leaving us with Mia getting Dakota' spot. Or maybe Rhea calls in Viper from the UK.

Great start, great main event...but wow, if they thought RAW and Smackdown viewers were gonna check NXT out, this wasn't the show to do it.  I LOVED Matt Riddle going right after AJ in the main event when it should have been Ciampa doing it.   Never knew how much I wanted a Matt Riddle/AJ Styles match until tonight.

But until they prove me wrong otherwise, they have no idea what to do with Finn Balor.    He HAD to come out in the main event...and...that's...it?

Man, Roman appearing out of nowhere to Spear Cole to death would've been way more interesting than Cole and Finn just standing around staring at each other. That 6-man was fun as hell, though I thought Riddle was about to kill himself on that botched dive.

Dunne/Priest was solid.

Dug Swerve/Dijakovic until that ridiculous 360 bump from Dijakovic off of Swerve's clothesline. Both Dijak and Priest forget their size way too often. 

Conti/Santana was a nice showcase for both.

Shayna/Dakota was good. Dug the post match brawl and Mia coming to save the day. Will be interesting to see what if any kind of swerve they go for.

Garza/Neese was good fun for Garza. Loved the post match interaction with Rush.

The OC invasion  was neat. The main event was decent. Loved the starting brawl though it lost a little of my interest when Ciampa was playing FIP. Anderson and Gallows have just never been all that impressive a team to me so I lose interest when they are in control and not brawling. Cole attacking both Ciampa and AJ was nice. Finn's appearance was neat. Not sure about the actual ending just leaving things where they were. It felt like a "that's it?" moment.

5 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Man, Rhea Ripley has no right to question Dakota Kai’s toughness when she has the human knee injury Teagan Nox on her team.

Rhea was in the ring with Nox when her knee exploded, and Nox continued to try and attack her, so I guess that would prove her toughness to Rhea. Also, Dakota cries a lot more than Teagan.

This had to be the best Taynara has looked yet. Liked what we got of her vs Santana and cool to see her pick up the win. 

Poor Dakota. After getting her ass kicked, I almost hoped Rhea would still throw the girl a bone lol But once Mia came out, killing everyone with that kendo stick, the writing was on the wall. 

8 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Man, Rhea Ripley has no right to question Dakota Kai’s toughness when she has the human knee injury Teagan Nox on her team.

Yeah, I wish they wouldn't book the Dakota Kai heel turn so obviously.

That main event was a bit of a clusterfuck, but it's too early to be giving away any good shit before Survivor Series.   I did like how they teased BC smarks by having Balor and the OC on the same program and not pulling the trigger on anything.

Riddle's chose of footware for that opening segment was...… regrettable.

Overall, AEW had a far balanced card but there were some bright spots in the NXT mid-card this week.  I enjoyed the Swerve vs. Dijakovic match in spite of myself.   The contrast in styles was REALLY contrasting, but both guys hustled and made it work.  Dunne vs. Priest and the Dain run-in was good shit as was the Nise vs. Garza match.

Ladies matches were mostly by the numbers but I will always love Santana for being brave enough to lean into Taynara's stiff offense.  I love the way Taynara works but some of her shit looks borderline unsafe especially that fucking V-Trigger knee strike. 

I never expect Shayna to lose so I watched the match to see if Dakota could trick me into thinking she had a chance and it mostly worked, but now I know that Kai will play some sort of role in the finish of Ladies War Games by somehow screwing over Team Ripley.  That interview segment was a teased heel turn if ever I saw one.

Ciampa's promo was AMAZING~!  That shit single handedly put NXT on par with the other shows.   WELCOME TO THE MAIN ROSTER, BOYS~!

Edited by J.T.

I really hope this is just the evolution of Dakota into actually getting the title against Shayna and not a step down.  I assume that this is all a set up for Mia to turn on the team.  If that doesn't happen then all of this seems stupid

I like Taynara and think she has a ton of potential but man there was a small period in that match where they were going as slow as humanly possible to make sure nothing got messed up. I don't know who to blame on that part.

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I like Taynara and think she has a ton of potential but man there was a small period in that match where they were going as slow as humanly possible to make sure nothing got messed up. I don't know who to blame on that part.

Taynara almost took Santana's face off twice in that match.   Better to go slow yet stiff and make it appear to be real rather than go full tilt and have someone get injured.

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I really hope this is just the evolution of Dakota into actually getting the title against Shayna and not a step down.  I assume that this is all a set up for Mia to turn on the team.  If that doesn't happen then all of this seems stupid.

I'm expecting someone to turn heel and it would make more sense if were Dakota.   Mia's started off as a heel valet and she's been a heel worker more often than not nearly everywhere she's been, so it wouldn't surprise me if she sold her own team out on a big stage like Survivor Series..

Sweet Dakota Kai's turn to the dark side may actually make kids cry so it would be better.  You saw how people in the audience last night reacted to her loss with legit emotion, so a Dakota Kai betrayal at a PPV should be pure money.  WHY, DAKOTA~?  WHY~?

Edited by J.T.

WWE needs to fire their photographer.

Survivor-Series-Womens-Match-645x370.jpg

I don't think you could take a more unflattering picture of Bayley or Shayna if you tried and Becky looks like she has the fucking Mumps.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

Does a turn really need to happen? I mean realistically it wouldn't exactly make sense seeing that neither Mia or Kai are remotely friendly with Shayna and basically get nothing out of joining her.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

Has Shayna named her fourth member yet? Because I can see her offering the spot to Kai, and we get the drawn out build to her decision.

She has not named anyone as of yet.

I could see Dakota accepting the spot on Baszler's team and still remaining a face because she wants to prove to Team Ripley that she's good enough to be in that unit.

Then you could go one of three ways:

1.  Kai is asked to do something sketchy to secure victory, refuses, stays a face, and screws over her own team to help Ripley's side win.

2.  Kai goes 100% Stockholm Syndrome and makes her heel turn at the end of the match.

3.  See Number One, but before Dakota can do anything, Mia Yim (the most likely candidate for a heel turn) turns heel and backstabs Team Ripley for the screwjob finish.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2