DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2019 - WEEK TEN

Dolfan in NYC

Hi.   The league wants to move the LA Chargers to London.

And before you ask, no, they can't just move back to San Diego.   There's no path to a stadium there, so the NFL will not move them there.

• Haha 1

The Chargers organization is so, so dumb. They have one fan base and it was in San Diego. They pissed that away and now they're stuck in a city where when you have the Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Kings, and Rams they're the team people want the least. So of course the next option is being moved out of the country entirely.

I also doubt that happens. A team full time in London just doesn't seem feasible. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I also doubt that happens. A team full time in London just doesn't seem feasible. 

Especially THAT team.

Well I should say - that team without doing a full shakeup of divisions and that isn't going to happen

IF a team goes to London - it has be to an East Coast team

• Like 1

Yeah, there's a bunch of responses to the story saying this is just a nudge to Tony Khan to hurry up and move the Jags to London.  

And frankly, the Austin Chargers is probably more likely destination if they don't find their footing in LA -- which they won't. 

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yeah, there's a bunch of responses to the story saying this is just a nudge to Tony Khan to hurry up and move the Jags to London.  

And frankly, the Austin Chargers is probably more likely destination if they don't find their footing in LA -- which they won't. 

Damnit Dolfan.  You give me nightmares every time you mention moving a sports team here. Our state government would probably do something brilliant like pass a law requiring the city to not only approve the move, but also pay for the shiny new stadium.

• Like 1

Might as well get used to it.   ATX is probably going to be the next Las Vegas/"build us a stadium or we're moving" spot.  

Largest city without a major pro franchise, rapidly growing city,  idiotic state legislature who will probably bend over backwards to make it happen... Aside from UT, who do they compete with?  The Cowboys?   If SA can support the Spurs, Austin can support an NFL team.

Next biggest cities without a team within an hour drive, I think, are Louisville, Tulsa, and Albuquerque. . . and no one is going to take a threat to move there seriously. 

I think if the NFL had the druthers the order they would add/move teams in the following order

• London
  • San Antonio or Austin (you are really splitting hairs between them)
  • Mexico City
  • Somewhere in Canada (most likely Toronto)
  • St Louis
  • Portland
  • Memphis (just because they already cockteased them once)

30 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

This is probably the best answer.

Which means there's zero chance of the NFL actually doing it.

There is zero chance this is the best answer because the city of St. Louis does not fucking want the NFL ever again.

Like, did everyone just forget HOW the NFL left St. Louis? With the owner, who was named after Stan Musial, basically trashing the city on the way out? 

Yeah, sorry, fuck that noise. We got the MLS, with non shitty owners, we are good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Big Dick Nick will be starting for Jacksonville this week. 

Speaking of big dicks, Dean Spanos has angrily called the London story complete "bullshit".   So expect them to be packing up by 2022. 

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hi.   The league wants to move the LA Chargers to London.

And before you ask, no, they can't just move back to San Diego.   There's no path to a stadium there, so the NFL will not move them there.

San Diego wouldn't take them back anyway.  My brother lives there and says everyone hates the Chargers now. So even if they airdropped a brand new stadium there, they couldn't go back.

Austin hosting a major sports franchise just kinda bums me out since it flies in the face of "keep Austin weird." Or have so many people moved to Austin that that's not really a thing now?

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

How the fuck did they not get it before it got out of the building? I believe the same thing happened with the Anfield Cat. Poor thing must've been so terrified.

The belief is the cat (or cats) live in the bowels of the stadium so they can vanish when they want to.

Other reporters had noted seeing them near the field when covering games there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1