DVDVR Message Board

Raw is an In(xt)Vasion - 11/4/2019

Dolfan in NYC

It was pulling teeth to get Vince to do anything with Bryan or even to get him to stop bashing his size on commentary.  Right now, Cole isn't as over as Bryan was back in 2013, and he's basically starting over when he gets to the main roster.  I'm not saying Vince will bash Cole on commentary for being a small indy darling but he will definitely have a major uphill battle towards being some main eventer.

32 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

262d4-15523687189507-800.jpg

hi

This is a picture of a man who got over because of his character work, starting with Team Hell No being added to his in-ring work. 

If we want to be honest with ourselves, the only main eventer who got over on work alone was the guy who killed his family. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

There is just something about Cole that makes me not really care for him much in the ring or find him terribly believable compared to others.

Same. I wish I liked his wrestling more, because the promos are really good.

I know some people think talking about size is BS, but it's still a conversation that matters because passing the eye test is important. I think if the person's work is convincing for their role, they can overcome that. Bryan and Rey and countless other examples bear this out. Cole's had some decent matches, but as a heel working on top during a heat segment, I can see how his look and his work could stretch credulity for some people depending on their preferences. 

Cole can still make it because he seems like a smart guy and a hard worker who has the right people behind him, and size seems to matter less and less in wrestling all the time. But not everyone will accept someone of that size as a top villain. 

Gable also looks and wrestles like he could rough a guy up.

It's amazing how time flies and things change. It feels like just yesterday, Triple H felt that CM Punk's ass was too soft for main event spotlight. Now he's grooming Adam Cole as a future top guy. 

Then again, the longest reigning NXT Champions are Neville and Balor. So ass firmness hasn't completely fallen out of style. 

My issue with Cole is that he doesn't have a skill that offsets his size disparity.  With Rey, you had speed and agility.  With Bryan, you had the grapples.  Even Strong has a freakish power game and acceleration that Cole doesn't.  With Cole, I think right now, his best option is to depend on cheating like a scumbag but that's really out of style.  So you end up with a really small dude roughing up people a foot taller and 50-75 pounds heavier with unimpressive stuff. 

This obviously isn't as big a deal in NXT where it has been Gargano-Ciampa central for so long.

• Like 2

Thank goodness they didn't do too much with face McIntyre against heel Cole. That's about as backwards as you can get. 

Speaking of which, both guys would be better if they merged into one super-wrestler. Put Cole's personality in McIntyre's body. That fixes both guy's problems. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

37 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It's amazing how time flies and things change. It feels like just yesterday, Triple H felt that CM Punk's ass was too soft for main event spotlight. Now he's grooming Adam Cole as a future top guy. 

Then again, the longest reigning NXT Champions are Neville and Balor. So ass firmness hasn't completely fallen out of style. 

Right, Gable can also deadlift german suplex Baron Corbin and has plenty of stuff that he can hit on anyone (moonsault, rolling kick, ankle lock).

I have no idea what the hell they are doing with the guy post American Alpha, its so bizarre. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Also Neville is one if the best fliers I’ve seen were his offense looks painful. His moves might be pretty but they also have tons of impact.

As for Adam Cole, well, my opinion is well known. He’s the drizzling shits, the fact that he doesn’t do anything in his offense to play off being undersized like, say, Rey, Eddie, Neville, and so on is just a drop in a bucket. Toss it in with “Does the Panama Sunride”, “Does the Panama Sunrise as a non finish”, “Has used a top rope Panama Sunrise, also as a non finish”, “Has the shittiest looking finisher in the entire company”, and “Ignores limb selling”.

I really loathe Adam Cole.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

She is only like 19 so she is the youngest person on the main roster (and pretty much ever)

She worked as Jessy in Chile.

Her real name is Catalina hence why there is that confusion over whether she is "Carolina" or "Catalina"

She's tied with Rene Dupree, who was also 19 - unless you want to get specific with birthdays.

36 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Thank goodness they didn't do too much with face McIntyre against heel Cole. That's about as backwards as you can get. 

Speaking of which, both guys would be better if they merged into one super-wrestler. Put Cole's personality in McIntyre's body. That fixes both guy's problems. 

They kinda do look like big brother/little brother. Maybe just put them together and have McIntyre as Cole's mindless grinning bulldog. 

8 hours ago, w. josh said:

It's hard to imagine how they're going to fuck up Keith Lee being a huge star, so I look forward to seeing which route they go to do exactly that.

Remember when Bayley was Cena 2.0 and a licence to print money once she got to the main roster? I thought that was the biggest can’t miss prospect of the last decade. It even played right into WWEs PG character strengths. Oh well, at least she’s doing something somewhat noteworthy now.

Gable and Bryan look like grapplers, they wrestle in an accomplished way with credible intensity like they could fuck you up. It’s not about height, and I would suggest anyone who doesn’t see the clear difference between them and Cole are being deliberately obtuse.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Weird enough, Kelly Kelly was also 19 when she debuted.

You are all forgetting about the youngest WWE Superstar (tm): former WWE tag team champion Nicholas. That is, until Matt Hardy gets the 24/7 belt on King Maxel.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

262d4-15523687189507-800.jpg

hi

Listen, I love Daniel Bryan, and that angle is probably my favorite of the last decade. I’ve said before that wwe’s “series finale” could’ve been that match. But let’s not pretend being the “small guy that could work” is what got Daniel Bryan to that match. In fact, the argument could be made that he wasn’t set on that course until he stopped being “guy that could work” and started being “guy who got the shaft and got the fans behind him.” Adam Cole’s problem, besides his thorough and chronic mediocrity, is that anyone who cares knows he’s a hhh project. Him pretending to be the downtrodden babyface would probably be met by the same reaction as when they tried it with Roman Reigns.

Cole currently is no Daniel Bryan. Daniel Bryan is an underdog. Cole isn’t portraying an underdog. Plus Cole isn’t the worker Bryan is. Also Johnny Swigger called. The King of Swing wants his “I just came out of the shower hair” look back.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Yeah, that was never a realistic expectation. Bayley’s sold plenty of “I’m a hugger” t-shirts though, so at least the money part was sort of right. 

Maybe not Cena, but had they built her journey to ride the crest of the Evolution / women empowerment wave in the most effective way, they could have made multiple times the money and the star. Though it may have come at the expense of Becky, depending on the exact timing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Adam Cole is charismatic as hell, is one of the best guys on the mic, and can go in the ring. Who gives a shit how short he is. Jesus. The fixation with height on here is ridiculous at times. If you don't make him look like an ass clown and have him beat people convincingly then he'll continue staying over.

It isn’t just that he’s short. It’s also because he looks like he’s wearing turnbuckle pads on his elbows.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Maybe it's because I'm getting a little older now but something not right about having 19-year old Kelly Kelly stripping on Syfy ECW every week.  

I had the same thought back when that was happening. But blame John Laurenitis and his fondness for hiring bikini models out of his magazine collection. Well, I guess you can blame everyone involved. The whole thing was always sleazy to me.