DVDVR Message Board

Best / Worst Sports Logos or Crests

Guest The Magnificent 7

Guest The Magnificent 7

I am not a graphic designer and couldn’t explain the intricacies of drop shadows anymore than I can make heads or tales of the booking predictions of Flair’s Shadow...but I know what looks good dammit. 

First off I am nailing my old man colors to the mast and saying most new logos are hot garbage. For example, the Arsenal crest will always be the litmus test of taste vs. no taste. The old crests were so good and the new one from a few years ago is so bad it looks like it was whipped up in MS Paint. 

For reference https://www.famouslogos.net/arsenal-logo/

It looks like something I would have created in old PES games that didn’t have the license with official crests, except somehow worse.

Not all newer style logos are crap, though.  I quite like this UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County) one.  It is unique because most dog sport nicknames are bulldogs or huskies.  UMBC are the Retrievers. 

5384_umbc_retrievers-primary-2010.png

As a general rule older is better, though. I don’t know maybe it’s font or something. Nevada’s old logo was badass...

2863.png

Guest The Magnificent 7

Here is another example of something pretty cool turned into something every other logo looks like these days. The first one has a pissed off looking  ram bursting through a V and the new one could be a team named the VCU curli-Q’s. What a waste. 

nctepji4h7fe4v91720q86w5q.gif

7379_virginia_commonwealth_rams-primary-

Before and after from That School Down the Road on I-74.

isu-thumbs-up-reggie-logo-cmyk.jpg

SECNDRY_head_3C.png

I have no love lost for Illinois State, but their old logo was so fun and neat. Right back at'cha, Reggie! Cool story bro! The newer logo is right out of Angry Animal Mascot 101. Hard pass.

Guest The Magnificent 7

This one here is right up there with the worst of the modern designs. So dang boring and looks like a fake team logo from a generic space football game or something. Compare that to the old with a frickin’ falcon riding a lightning bolt with a unique font. 

Bentley Falcons

1896_bentley__falcons-primary-1988.png

3561_bentley__falcons-primary-2013.png

On the bad end, the NHL's obsession with third jerseys that just feature a diagonal, all caps team name are almost universally trash. I give the New York Rangers a pass here, as it's both (1) actually the original and older than the others by decades, and (2) actually has always looked okay. But these were just absolutely dire:

Ottawa-Senators-Reebok-Premier-Replica-A

Canes_Front-1.jpg?fit=900,508&ssl=1

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2019 at 9:05 PM, The Magnificent 7 said:

I am not a graphic designer and couldn’t explain the intricacies of drop shadows anymore than I can make heads or tales of the booking predictions of Flair’s Shadow...but I know what looks good dammit. 

First off I am nailing my old man colors to the mast and saying most new logos are hot garbage. For example, the Arsenal crest will always be the litmus test of taste vs. no taste. The old crests were so good and the new one from a few years ago is so bad it looks like it was whipped up in MS Paint. 

For reference https://esportsgames.club

It looks like something I would have created in old PES games that didn’t have the license with official crests, except somehow worse.

Not all newer style logos are crap, though.  I quite like this UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County) one.  It is unique because most dog sport nicknames are bulldogs or huskies.  UMBC are the Retrievers. As a general rule older is better, though. I don’t know maybe it’s font or something. Nevada’s old logo was badass...

Thanks for valuable info

Edited by Lukas Bohm