Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Dolfan in NYC

Survivor Series XXXIII - 11/24/2019

Recommended Posts

I watched mostly for the women’s matches and despite some silliness I thought they delivered. Big weekend for Rhea and Keith Lee but they deserve it, especially Lee. They could both win the belts this week and hold them forever and everyone would be on board.

The WALTER elimination is a bummer but at least he looked good against Braun first instead of getting one shotted like Mark Henry a few years back. I don’t think it hurt him at all, I just wanted to see him wrestle more.

They could’ve put off Cole/Dunne and the main would’ve had more heat and I’m sad to see Kofi on the pre-show but aside from that I thought it was a solid if overpopulated show. Kind of amazed they pulled off matches with that many people and few if any miscues.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was one point in the 5x3 way where Keith did this crazy ass jumping hook kick and my jaw dropped to the ground. A guy that big has no right to be that agile or achieve that kinda height. I should probably go back and watch more of his indy stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

There was one point in the 5x3 way where Keith did this crazy ass jumping hook kick and my jaw dropped to the ground. A guy that big has no right to be that agile or achieve that kinda height. I should probably go back and watch more of his indy stuff.

Bask in his glory

This show proved once again that, if creative could get the fuck out of their way, this roster is absurdly stacked.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The men's 5vs5vs5 should have closed the show if Rhonda wasn't returning or something else interesting. Becky cheap shotting Shayna was a flat ending. The whole match felt off. Hard to blame Shayna given she had been in a war games match 24 hours prior. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

There was one point in the 5x3 way where Keith did this crazy ass jumping hook kick and my jaw dropped to the ground. A guy that big has no right to be that agile or achieve that kinda height. I should probably go back and watch more of his indy stuff.

I forgot about that.  Yeah, me and the watch party popped for that.  AND the replay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Becky might be approaching "then the bell rang..."  and I'm not sure why.   There's a lot of evidence now of her being super over in promos and brawls but far less so during the actual matches.  She's not having bad matches but something about her isn't keeping people engaged. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, just drew said:

I don’t get it. Wwe can’t make nXt folks stars on their own show, so they sacrifice actual stars from the shows people actually watch to satisfy some deep desire to remind their audience that “no one on any of our shows is a star!” Roderick Strong had zero business Going over AJ and Nak, and the nXt women running roughshod over so many wwe midcard women makes the main roster folks look totally useless. I thought the red lighting was better for the Fiend. Seemed a little lighter. If they switched the plain/red ratio in the lights, I think it’d work. 
 

sorry. I think part of the reason I get down on nXt so much is that I’d once hoped the product would get better after Vince goes away. But other than the anointing of Rhea, nothing I’ve seen from hhh in terms of who he picks as a top star and the methods employed to make them a Star makes me think it’ll be any different. Adam Cole, really? He’s Seth Rollins if Rollins weren’t freakishly athletic. I get the Keith Lee thing. But I see no reason to expect Shayna Baszler to have any effect on the women’s division, particularly at 39 years old. There was no reason for her to win that match, except again reminding the audience that the main show championships don’t matter.

I think they've made Keith Lee into a star after last night but I believe NXT going over is a more of a result of AEW being a thing, so WWE allowed the hot newer brand lead in wins last night. I'm not complaining at all but I would think they would've put Smackdown over more because of the FOX deal and honestly because of the recent draft Raw and SDLive are sorta reset in comparison to NXT

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Becky might be approaching "then the bell rang..."  and I'm not sure why.   There's a lot of evidence now of her being super over in promos and brawls but far less so during the actual matches.  She's not having bad matches but something about her isn't keeping people engaged. 

She's taking in ring advice from her fiance?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bringing that relationship to the main show killed much of her pop. Why cheer someone who is with Seth Rollins. He is the worst.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The crowd seemed to be sitting on their hands for the main but I’m not sure if it was exhaustion from the long show or if they were expecting Ronda and never really got into the story of the match itself. Or that the match itself wasn’t engaging. 

Shayna has had her bangers in the past but tends to be more methodical and character rather than work rate centric. Nothing about this Bayley appeals in the slightest. Look at what Dakota Kai did the previous night with her viciousness and compare to Bayley taking scissors to some inflatables...

And Becky is good but doesn’t always bring her opponents up in terms of excitement and intrigue. I agree about the Seth relationship being a downer for Becky’s act. That is Roman Reigns all over again, with making sacrifices to the ‘greater good’ of strong-arming the desired response from the crowd for the number one face.

The highlight for me was just switching off my brain and enjoying the mindless fun of the men’s 5v5v5 with bodies flying, getting slapped and slammed, and Keith Lee shining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every month I have over a few friends to watch the PPV's, and eat copious amounts of food. and over the course of the last 13 years my Colorado family has grown to appreciate and even enjoy wrestling. When my 23 year old nephew was 12 I took him to a house show and I took my little nephew and his folks to one in 2014 when the little guy was 4 and a half so he could see John Cena. At age 9 he still likes wrestling, (Rey Mysterio has been his favorite since he was a toddler), but he usually will just watch a little of the shows before it's his his bedtime.

But last night was a little different. Two brothers, ages 8 and 10 moved across the street last year and the three of them have been a gang ever since. Yesterday, the three of them came into the house as the pre-show was ending and the neighbor kids were like,  "Is this wrestling? Is it fake?" and had a million questions. By the end of the last pre-show match they were hooked. The only wrestlers they've ever heard of are Cena and for some reason, Big Show but they'd never actually watched. The three of them were totally into it, and at one point the brothers had to go home for a bit, but asked if they could come back over later . After an hour they came running back, and we all watched the rest of the show and had a great time. Now, they want to come over for every PPV and it's awesome. My nephew was enjoying it far more with his pals, and so did I. Watching with a living room full of family, friends, and kids is the best. They were cheering for their favorites and booing the the wrestlers they didn't like, particularly Brock and Bayley. They loved Rey, The Fiend, and Keith Lee the most. The two bros want Fiend T shirts after seeing the shop zone ad, which is hilarious. And they're jazzed for TLC because the idea that people go through tables was blowing their minds. 

It's a lot more fun to watch the rasslin' with a living room full of people, and a plate full of Italian sausage.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't care about most of this show except Brock/Rey - which was awesome. Dominick's burst of ass kicking. The double 619 and frog splash. Absolutely amazing near fall that would've been that much better without Vic's "we have a new champion! we have a new champion!" telegraphing commentary. Gotta admit I would've popped if Rey won off that, but the actual finish was pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Didn't care about most of this show except Brock/Rey - which was awesome. Dominick's burst of ass kicking. The double 619 and frog splash. Absolutely amazing near fall that would've been that much better without Vic's "we have a new champion! we have a new champion!" telegraphing commentary. Gotta admit I would've popped if Rey won off that, but the actual finish was pretty cool.

This is definitely a highlight in Rey's career since he returned. Being on Raw with Heyman as Booker really makes a difference with Rey in WWE because otherwise he treated a just another guy. I wasn't expecting much in this match but it was cool. I started to come down after the Mens Survivor tag but this got me up. I hope Domonik doesn't get rushed into a regular main roster spot because he'll be over by the time the Angle is done. I hope he's good enough as a worker by the time he works actual matches 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Bringing that relationship to the main show killed much of her pop. Why cheer someone who is with Seth Rollins. He is the worst.

it also makes it that much more difficult to turn Rollins heel which, overprescribed as that remedy might be, does seem to be a good fix for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun show on the whole, but two moments that mystified me:

 

- The level of protection Sasha got with NXT having to cheat despite Rhea being a face, Sasha being a heel, and Sasha not really doing much besides being Bayley’s lackey at the moment. It undercut NXT’s win for no real reason.

 

- The post main-event segment, which undercut Shayna’s win, made Becky look like a bad sport, and felt like the most pointless ‘Hogan must pose’ sequence we’ve seen in a long time. I also felt the three of them lacked chemistry, with a very slow pace and some pretty striking botches like them messing up Bayley’s sunset flip bomb into the corner. And that’s besides constant Ronda teasing all night that didn’t get paid off. It was an odd main event. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RIShane said:

Fun show on the whole, but two moments that mystified me:

 

- The level of protection Sasha got with NXT having to cheat despite Rhea being a face, Sasha being a heel, and Sasha not really doing much besides being Bayley’s lackey at the moment. It undercut NXT’s win for no real reason.

 

- The post main-event segment, which undercut Shayna’s win, made Becky look like a bad sport, and felt like the most pointless ‘Hogan must pose’ sequence we’ve seen in a long time. I also felt the three of them lacked chemistry, with a very slow pace and some pretty striking botches like them messing up Bayley’s sunset flip bomb into the corner. And that’s besides constant Ronda teasing all night that didn’t get paid off. It was an odd main event. 

I'd agree with both of those, particularly the latter.

Edited by The Natural

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Becky might be approaching "then the bell rang..."  and I'm not sure why.   There's a lot of evidence now of her being super over in promos and brawls but far less so during the actual matches.  She's not having bad matches but something about her isn't keeping people engaged. 

her fiancé

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

it also makes it that much more difficult to turn Rollins heel which, overprescribed as that remedy might be, does seem to be a good fix for him.

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevermind 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Becky might be approaching "then the bell rang..."  and I'm not sure why.   There's a lot of evidence now of her being super over in promos and brawls but far less so during the actual matches.  She's not having bad matches but something about her isn't keeping people engaged. 

Biggest flaw with Becky as a worker is she doesn’t have any real big crowd popping spots. I know she is a good wrestler, but her expertise was always in things like chain wrestling, which flat out doesn’t pop crowds in 2019.

 

Worth noting I’m totally taking that talking point from PWO, who were talking about and nailing this point on Sunday.

Edited by The Man Known as Dan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one thing is the zip is off the fastball of her being this ass kicker when she's truly the pun loving, silly person inside.  The strength of the character needs a naturally angry person and Becky's not that.  Otherwise, The Man Known as Dan is correct that her moveset doesn't have the oomph.  Her strikes don't have fire on them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Becky could use her own Natural Selection-type snap secondary finish. The Dis-Arm-Her is fine but it’s not locked in like a Sharpshooter or Figure 8 and it doesn’t look nasty like the Bank Statement. Maybe something like Kota Ibushi’s hand holding knee to face move. Simple, quick, effective, and she can call it B’s Knees or a similarly silly pun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Biggest flaw with Becky as a worker is she doesn’t have any real big crowd popping spots. I know she is a good wrestler, but her expertise was always in things like chain wrestling, which flat out doesn’t pop crowds in 2019.

 

Worth noting I’m totally taking that talking point from PWO, who were talking about and nailing this point on Sunday.

And her style doesn’t really use much chain stuff anymore. I also think it’s a problem that aerial moves are so prominent in her moveset when they’re a weakness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...