DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXIII - 11/24/2019

Dolfan in NYC

On 11/14/2019 at 5:49 PM, The Natural said:

I can see why Fiend vs. Daniel Bryan is happening:

Daniel Bryan had Bray Wyatt's best singles match ever at the 2014 Royal Rumble. 

If WWE wants the Fiend to get boos to go with the cheers, Bryan is the only potential opponent for that to happen with. People love Daniel Bryan. 

Fiend gets to go over someone credible and Bryan puts people over better than anybody.

Daniel Bryan's the best.

Didn't catch any of the pre-show matches.

The Women's SS match was fun though I don't think the fuckery at the end was quite needed. It also felt weird/dumb having Io and Bianca being so fine working with Rhea and Candice. I did like how things imploded for Raw due to Charlotte and Asuka. Would have  liked more Io interaction with her two best friends.

Styles vs. Nakamura vs. Strong was easily the weakest match. Some of the Styles/Nakamura interactions were good, but it just felt lacking with the slower pace. Strong felt out of place with these two and it felt like the match NXT needed to win the least out of the ones they won.

I had no interest in Cole/Dunne.

Fiend/Bryan was good and more or less what I was hoping we would get.

Men's SS was good and probably MOTN for me. The only thing that pissed me off was WALTER's bs elimination. That happened way the hell too quickly and too easily, especially with how damn over he was. I was at least happy with how good he looked before then. I liked Seth getting a bit extra dickish right before his elimination. He desperately needs to be heel again. Keith Lee came out looking great even in loss. He was a star by the end of this.

Brock/Rey wasn't some great match, but it was fun as a story/spectacle.

Becky vs. Shayna vs. Bayley was pretty solid. Bayley especially looked good throughout the whole thing. That said, this one suffered greatly from being placed at the top. The crowd was tired, and this match just didn't have the momentum to really be main eventing, especially after the previous two matches. Definitely feels like this was the starting build to Becky vs. Shayna with the post match attack from Becky. While the match should be fun, I'm not really convinced its the big match to run with at Wrestlemania. They are going to need Shayna to leave NXT and build with the main roster audience sooner tan later for that to work.

Overall I dug the show. It was nice seeing Raw in last place and NXT came out looking great. 

• Like 1

I'm sure it's been said, but having people that were fighting each other in Wargames last night on the same team tonight was beyond dumb, even by WWE's "brand loyalty above all once a year" standards. That said, the women's elimination match was alright in a vacuum. The finishing stretch was good, and it was good to see Sasha do something.

If I wasn't so burned out on triple threats after this weekend, I probably would've liked the secondary title match more.

The NXT title match was fine, even if the wrong guy won. I will admit, though, I admire Adam Cole's dedication to turn the Canadian Destroyer into his own personal Diamond Cutter.

The other two title matches felt like B-show matches. It's kinda bad when Adam Cole is in the most serious championship match, but the other choices are Bray Wyatt wrestling in red lighting or Brock beating up Rey and his son at the same time.

The Men's elimination was fun throughout and other than Walter going out too early (could've just used Jackson Riker if they wanted to do that script), nothing felt out of place. For a guy who's been floundering for over a year, Keith Lee has looked like the next big thing for the last month. Ciampa and Riddle looked good too, and we totally need that Riddle/Gable match.

The women's match was the wrong choice to main event for once. Bayley seemed pretty off and Shayna is pretty much NXT Brock Lesnar at this point. If Becky wasn't gonna stand tall, why close with that over Roman giving Lee the rub?

Overall this show reinforced my belief that I'm good just watching NXT and AEW, and only checking in on Raw and SD every month or two.

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

If they were going to put Cole over tonight, they should've had Priest pin Dain or Dain pin Priest on Saturday night and save the Dunne defence for the future.

And why book WALTER if they were just going to job him out first??

Knowing the WWE mentality, it was to put him in his place. Show how he's just a large fish in an entire ocean.

The two 5 man tags felt disjointed but the men's was good once it got down to the final few. Glad Keith Lee looked good, hopefully wwe doesn't screw it up with him.

That crowd was burnt out for the women's main event. Shayna needs to lose to Ripley and move up. 

Didn't like Brock and Rey's ending. Just felt so, so flat. Rey winning on the double team with his son could have been so unique. But instead... Brock retains. Who is next for Brock right now?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Knowing the WWE mentality, it was to put him in his place. Show how he's just a large fish in an entire ocean.

Didn't WALTER pretty much play hardball with WWE where he got some contract concessions about only working in Europe, etc? If so, that's probably the answer.

I know that the booking of this entire saga has been to bring up NXT so that it is on equal footing with the other brands and this PPV seemed to accomplish that mission with the glaring omission of Adam Cole.

I don’t get it. Wwe can’t make nXt folks stars on their own show, so they sacrifice actual stars from the shows people actually watch to satisfy some deep desire to remind their audience that “no one on any of our shows is a star!” Roderick Strong had zero business Going over AJ and Nak, and the nXt women running roughshod over so many wwe midcard women makes the main roster folks look totally useless. I thought the red lighting was better for the Fiend. Seemed a little lighter. If they switched the plain/red ratio in the lights, I think it’d work. 

sorry. I think part of the reason I get down on nXt so much is that I’d once hoped the product would get better after Vince goes away. But other than the anointing of Rhea, nothing I’ve seen from hhh in terms of who he picks as a top star and the methods employed to make them a Star makes me think it’ll be any different. Adam Cole, really? He’s Seth Rollins if Rollins weren’t freakishly athletic. I get the Keith Lee thing. But I see no reason to expect Shayna Baszler to have any effect on the women’s division, particularly at 39 years old. There was no reason for her to win that match, except again reminding the audience that the main show championships don’t matter.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 12:49 PM, The Natural said:

I can see why Fiend vs. Daniel Bryan is happening:

Daniel Bryan had Bray Wyatt's best singles match ever at the 2014 Royal Rumble. 

If WWE wants the Fiend to get boos to go with the cheers, Bryan is the only potential opponent for that to happen with. People love Daniel Bryan. 

Fiend gets to go over someone credible and Bryan puts people over better than anybody.

I don't think WWE is thinking that deep, True Bryan proved once again that he is his best opponent but I think Bryan was just as another big name for him to beat, I expect them to move on from this. After the whole angle with Bryan Rowan and Roman flopped , they turned him face and used him as another top challenger to The Fiend. I like the Fiend Character but " then the bell rang "

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I don't think WWE is thinking that deep, True Bryan proved once again that he is his best opponent but I think Bryan was just as another big name for him to beat, I expect them to move on from this. After the whole angle with Bryan Rowan and Roman flopped , they turned him face and used him as another top challenger to The Fiend. I like the Fiend Character but " then the bell rang "

I actually was a bit nervous watching the match because Bryan does have a concussion history in working with Bray, and there is an emphasis on taking big bumps when watching The Fiend. Bryan got probably the best match possible out of Fiend. Although, I'm already done on the character. It's a lose-lose from a booking perspective. The red light and making big moves look meaningless is kind of learning all of the wrong things from booking a monster. It's going for Undertaker while not realizing why that character worked. Also, understanding that character works better in the pre-internet 90s than it does in 2019.

• Like 2

249_SUR_11242019ca_7236--711769838421587

I thought The Fiend Bray Wyatt would kick out of Daniel Bryan's running knee but I was concerned he'd no sell it. Thankfully that didn't happen. Bryan's running knee is one of WWE's most protected finishers.

The only wrestlers to kick out of Daniel Bryan's running knee:

Randy Orton, WrestleMania XXX.

Roman Reigns, Fastlane 2015.

Brock Lesnar, Survivor Series 2018 X2.

Kofi Kingston, Elimination Chamber 2019 and WrestleMania XXXV.

The Fiend Bray Wyatt, Survivor Series 2019.