DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXIII - 11/24/2019

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I dislike most triple threat matches (though some have been very good over the course of WWE history) and I don't like the idea of Bayley being involved in the Shayna/Becky thing.   I'd rather see Bayley fight someone one on one like an Io or Bianca. 

I like those suggestions, I'd make another in Candice.

I'd like Rey Mysterio to win the WWE Championship at Survivor Series and get the reign that he never really got back in 2011. WWE and John Cena did him dirty. You should've saved Rey Mysterio vs. John Cena at SummerSlam 2011 and then bring back CM Punk. WWE shit the bed with Summer of Punk.

Per Meltzer - the plan is for all the secondary champs to be in a match against each other

It will be Roderick Strong vs. US Champ vs. IC Title

Dave seemed to lean heavily on the idea that Styles and/or Nakamura will lose their title before the PPV (which makes sense since technically right now you have 3 heels in the match)

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Fiend would have to defend his belt since I can't see him teaming with anyone.  Who would even be a contender on Smackdown? Not Kofi,  Daniel just lost to Adam Cole,  Cole-Fiend should be a squash.  Who really is there for Fiend to defend against?     

Only way I can see the Fiend on the team is that Smackdown needed something different, were desperate so Fiend's there. You either do a Fiend WWE Universal Championship defense or leave him off. Less is more.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - the plan is for all the secondary champs to be in a match against each other

It will be Roderick Strong vs. US Champ vs. IC Title

Dave seemed to lean heavily on the idea that Styles and/or Nakamura will lose their title before the PPV (which makes sense since technically right now you have 3 heels in the match)

Ali beats Shinsuke Nakamura for the WWE Intercontinental Championship.

Survivor Series has become my least favorite show of the year.  When it was Survivor Series matches only, it was at least an interesting diversion where you didn't see everyone in one match at one time very frequently so you would get interesting interactions.  Now its built as this brand supremacy thing which blows up all the continuity and on going angles to make a lot of strange bedfellows tag teams and it follows so quickly after a draft that there is no novelty.  I think my favorite part is that there are no consequences or stakes whatsoever so there is no reason for the RAW guys to fight the Smackdown crew (who were probably on RAW two weeks ago anyway).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When did it first become the brand supremacy thing? Back in the first brand split in 02? I never understand why anybody (wrestlers, fans) are supposed to care about it. They run about in their red or blue shirts and we're supposed to cheer on the blues or cheer on the reds even though they're a mish-mash of guys we're supposed to like and guys we're supposed to dislike. And for the wrestlers themselves, we're supposed to believe guys like Randy Orton, for example, really cares about winning for his brand when his character has been shown to be a self-serving asshole most of the time. Even worse are the schmoes like Heath Slater or Apollo Crews who run out there to back up their teammates during a beatdown, but shouldn't even be prideful of their team when their team has afforded them no opportunities in their career. (Though I guess that's a good analogy for warfare in general where some proud impoverished pawns are sent to fight other proud impoverished pawns in order to make their masters richer)

• Like 2

They used to run a PPV called Bragging Rights which I believe only lasted a couple years.  That was the PPV for "brand supremacy".  The first time I recall them running a Survivor Series brand supremacy angle was somewhere in the mid 2000s where they had that pretty cool parking lot brawl to kick off the angle..  

This was done well and it was effective because back then the brand split was actually a real brand split..  they kept most of the performers separate for the entire year. 

Yeah - the "brand supremacy" thing has really be only the last couple of years (including RAW sweeping last year but then them never following up because they changed Shane's heel turn)

However - besides Bragging Rights - they did do the brand feud in 2005 also.

2005 was the year that had Bischoff vs. Teddy Long in a match and a RAW vs. Smackdown match. (Bischoff was fired as RAW GM since Team RAW lost)

7 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Fiend would have to defend his belt since I can't see him teaming with anyone.  Who would even be a contender on Smackdown? Not Kofi,  Daniel just lost to Adam Cole,  Cole-Fiend should be a squash.  Who really is there for Fiend to defend against?     

Kofi would actually perfect. He's sympathetic enough that people might boo the Fiend, losing in a semi squash can't hurt him any more than the Lesnar match, and it closes the gaping plot hole of him dropping the title and cheerfully going back to being a tag wrestler one week later.

8 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5633851

• Like 1

The Brand Thing would make so much sense if there was something up for grabs or if authority figures (when they existed) had to threaten or encourage people to join their team.  But guys like The New Day or Revival who have jumped brands what feels like a million times, why would they care?

• Like 1

Well the idea was supposed to be that her challenger post Survivor Series (probably for Rumble) was Asuka

It could still happen but they did have that baffling decision to have Asuka tap to Nattie last night

I could totally see WWE putting Bayley over to avoid making a decision between Baszler and Becky and hurting both of them in the process.  It would totally be a picking up the pieces deal where the other two are selling a superplex or something.

• Like 1

Fuck all these champion 3-ways.  Give me Team SmackDown's The Big Dog, D-Brine, Braun Strowman, and Heavy Machinery vs. Keith Lee and the Lollipop Guild of NXT.  Teams of five strive to SURVIVE!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BEN! said:

Fuck all these champion 3-ways.  Give me Team SmackDown's The Big Dog, D-Brine, Braun Strowman, and Heavy Machinery vs. Keith Lee and the Lollipop Guild of NXT.  Teams of five strive to SURVIVE!

To me, the biggest failure of WWE in the Network era is that creatively, they’ve stuck to the same month to month PPV booking. They don’t have to “sell” each PPV every month, so why not break the mold and go back to having the KOTR ppv, doing an actual show full of Survivor Series matches, throw in a Lethal Lottery/Battlebowl show. They know they’re going to stretch feuds out for three or four months, so they might as well use these to keep feuds fresher.

• Like 2

Sweet Jesus, 5 vs 5 vs 5 is just too much. I get having the title matches being triple threat but do we REALLY need this? If we are trying to be nice and get everybody on the show, can't we do a battle royal or something? Or can't we just do a few dream matches with assorted Raw/Smackdown guys vs NXT guys? Do we really need Captain Douchebag trying to recruit anybody from RAW to help him?

• Like 2