DVDVR Message Board

2ND ANNUAL JUSTIN NEWBOULD MEMORIAL CHRISTMAS CHAOS pre-thread

Execproducer

16 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

We are all in. I'll have everything sent out by tomorrow morning.

And FYI, most of the picks aren't  on Netflix or Hulu but are readily available for rent, three or four bucks, on Amazon or elsewhere. If that is going to be a problem for anyone, let me know. I see some of them are on those library sites like Kanopy and I really need to get around to acquiring a library card.

For me, tracking down a copy of whatever I get assigned is part of the fun.  Have fond memories of calling video stores to ask about Don't Go In The House and Evil Dead Trap 2 for past Halloween Havocs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

For me, tracking down a copy of whatever I get assigned is part of the fun.  Have fond memories of calling video stores to ask about Don't Go In The House and Evil Dead Trap 2 for past Halloween Havocs.

I agree. For me the obscurer, the better. If I don't already have it in one form or another and it's OOP, I know where to find them. I like getting things I might not otherwise ever watch. But if I had gotten Evil Dead Trap 2, I would have just walked over to my bookcase full of old bootleg tapes and just hoped the damn thing was still watchable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Execproducer said:

I agree. For me the obscurer, the better. If I don't already have it in one form or another and it's OOP, I know where to find them. I like getting things I might not otherwise ever watch. But if I had gotten Evil Dead Trap 2, I would have just walked over to my bookcase full of old bootleg tapes and just hoped the damn thing was still watchable.

For Evil Dead Trap 2 I managed to find a video store owned by a guy who knew he was in tough competing against stuff like Netflix, and was actually willing to buy a rental copy of it just for me.  (It was a store that focused on genre movies, at least.)

For Don't Go In The House, it went like this:

Me: "I'm looking for a movie called Don't Go In The House, do you have it?"
Video store: "Yes we do."
Me: "Okay, great!" *hangs up*

Couple minutes later, my phone rings.

Video store: "Hey, that movie you just called about, we only have it on VHS. Is that ok?"
Me: (glances over at shelf full of wrestling tapes) "Yeah that's no problem"

• Like 2

On 11/20/2019 at 2:20 PM, Execproducer said:

And I'll set the deadline at Dec. 10th. My preference is to try and post something daily so if we have enough reviews in, and there is enough bonus stuff, we may begin before the deadline hits.

Glad I checked into the thread to see what the drop dead date was.   Lots of shit going down here at the DoD.  

Republic of South Korea and Japan are having their annual regional drills with US joint forces over the next couple of weeks since Kim Jong-un gives zero shits about Thanksgiving.  At least I'm pulling the swing shift this time around.

I'll do my best to submit my review well in advance of suspense date.

• Like 2

I was tormenting my wife last night by watching various trailers of the Christmas movies on Netflix

So I was realizing that my bonus reviews will have to be done at work since there is no way I can watch a couple of these while she is home

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BTW @J.T. would like you all to know that Shazam is a movie set at Christmas time.

It is just too bad he mentioned it in the Destiny thread

While you were asleep, I was helping train solders.  I am safeguarding liberty.

On 12/3/2019 at 3:32 AM, RIPPA said:

I was tormenting my wife last night by watching various trailers of the Christmas movies on Netflix

So I was realizing that my bonus reviews will have to be done at work since there is no way I can watch a couple of these while she is home

No matter how little I use it, the yearly Vanessa Hudgens Hallmark style Netflix Christmas movie makes my subscription totally worth it. 

Edited by CSC

Got my copy of the movie in the mail but I probably won't get to watch it until the weekend.  Stupid fucking job has put me back in charge of mental health screens in the jails after my predecessor resigned, and she fucked shit up.  A LOT.

• Like 1

The students in my office started watching Christmas Chronicles.

This might turn into a review.

Or it might turn into me explaining to them for 15 minutes who Kurt Russell is. Or as they called him "the Old guy"

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I appreciate your dedication to these projects.

I like adding to the collection.  There will come the inevitable day where I'll have to stream something ...that will be a heartbreaker.

44 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Or it might turn into me explaining to them for 15 minutes who Kurt Russell is. Or as they called him "the Old guy"

If it was me I'd give bonus credit to anybody who watched The Thing, under the pretense of it being "a Christmas movie".

This is why I'm not a teacher.

• Haha 2