DVDVR Message Board

2ND ANNUAL JUSTIN NEWBOULD MEMORIAL CHRISTMAS CHAOS pre-thread

Execproducer

Since we are in the holiday season I wanted to start this a couple of weeks earlier than last year so people can fit this into their schedules. I'm lazy so I'll quote myself from the original thread.

Same rules as Halloween Havoc.  Indicate interest, pick, explain, wait, watch, review. Anything with a Christmas theme or setting. If they exist, I'll also except anything relating to Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or winter solstice. If you look at the first couple of pages on IMDB relating to Christmas films, it is largely tv and cable movies with the obvious ones sprinkled throughout. And if one of those floats your boat, then pick it. If not, then do not despair. There are MANY films that will fit and they range across genres: film-noir, westerns, classic Hollywood, foreign films, action, thrillers, horror, etc. It only takes a little effort.

Having said that, I reserve the right to reject your pick if I think it doesn't fit the theme.

Also there were some films that were declared off limits, such as It's A Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street, because they were deemed too easy. No such restrictions this year.

Except for Black Christmas.

Let's put Black Christmas on the shelf for a few years.  I'll post everything that was picked and reviewed last year in a little bit.

Can I be in, but just assign myself the pick I was supposed to review last year and didn't?  

Tried so many times to watch it but was just in such a bad place with the subject matter that I couldn't do it and now I feel like a total jerk for never doing it.  

• Like 1

I wanted to do a couple of random Hallmark type movies as bonus reviews last year but Good Lord was I not in the Holiday spirit at that time.

This year - at least at the moment - I am totally about Christmas so I might need to strike while the iron is hot and do them now before I inevitably become bitter again

I'm in with the 1985  Mark Romanek version of Static. Keith Gordon, Bob Gunton, and Amanda Plummer are all simply brilliant. Been a couple or three years since I've seen it, so this should be fun.  Yes, it IS a Christmas movie with a bus-hijacking, copious quantities of Tang, the eternal dilemma of french fries vis a vis onion rings and tips on how YOU can be a survivor of WWIII! Seriously, what's not to love?

Here is what we did last year:

The Apartment

Batman Returns

Black Christmas

Christmas With The Cranks

The Great Rupert

Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever.

The Ref

Sint

The Song of Bernadette

Tokyo Godfathers

White Christmas.

Bonus Reviews:

Taz-Mania - "No Time For Christmas".

ER - "A Miracle Happens Here".

King of the Hill - "The Unbearable Blindness of Laying".

Sanford & Son - "Ebenezer Sanford".

The UK Office Christmas Party.

L'Assassinat du père Noël (1941)

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

John cares not for the mystery of the whole project

Oops, sorry about that.  It has been many moons since I participated in one of these projects, so I'm afraid that I've become a little forgetful about the protocols. 

I am a little irritated - all the things i immediately thought of aren't necessarily easily accessible.

Doesn't mean I won't pick one just I do tend to try and pick something that is either on Netflix or Prime (or at least Youtube)