DVDVR Message Board

SDL is a Saudi Surprise! - 11/1/2019

James F'n X

8 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I wonder if Fox now get 'Future draft considerations'? How can one of their top picks be allowed to just walk out. Surely there is some sort of (kayfabe) 'no compete' clause?

in theory, the winner of the Survivor Series main event should enable his brand to draft some people from other brands... which probably means Smackdown wins and gets the compensation for Brock.

From a storytelling POV, having Brock leave in the first segment directly enabled the NXT people to start attacking. Sure, Brock is enough of a lone wolf that he really can't be depended on to help on-screen, but if the baddest guy in the arena walks out and Heyman's speech directly mentions no RAW on Smackdown but doesn't mention "no NXT"... then.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, just drew said:

I get that, but there's no way to erase the stigma of six years of wwe telling us nxt isn't on the same level as the other two brands. nxt can't be presented as equals in the eyes of a vast majority of the fanbase, and doing that defeats the purpose. And again, if you ARE going to attempt that, lets get some acts with a future from nXt on the show, not Sharon Corbin and "Seth Rollins in trunks" Adam Cole. Matt Riddle is great, but he was barely there. Let Rhea actually do something, not steamroll Mandy fucking Rose. It's nothing but Triple H desperately trying to be the cool dad who lets kids drink beer in the garage. "Look how edgy and not at all wwe this wwe product is!" It's the same shit. And the nXt brand is even worse, bc we've been told for over half a decade that it's not even to the level of the dogshit product on the main roster.

I think you're being a bit harsh with that take.

They've been saying NXT is a third brand for a while now, it's not something new.

Shayna is one of the most dominant NXT women's champions ever and someone they've built some time now and she's also a cowardly heel who likes to take shortcuts and such, so she attacked them from behind which was fine.

Sami has been a manager for a while now, so they had one of the bigger NXT names in Riddle and Lee steamroll him.

Ciampa is one of the top guys in NXT, so him picking up a win over an established name who's not in the title picture on SD works fine.

Rhea is the top title contender to Shayna and Tegan just challenged the Kabuki Warriors for the tag titles, meanwhile Mandy and Sonya aren't these top rated contenders and have lost a bunch, so having Rhea and Tegan go over was fine.

Cole is the champ, so having him go over a former champ. and an established name who's out of the title picture at the moment was fine also.

This all worked if you ask me.

Edited by Edwin

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm assuming that was Vince's first time listening to Aiden English on commentary and he hated it so much he gave him the hook after one match. 

I thought similar at first but then I took it as McAfee being the NXT guy to "invade" the broadcast booth similar to how the NXT wrestlers invaded the show. I guess to them he was a better choice than Mauro or Nigel, although I would have preferred Nigel.

okay, having the NXT flight arrive that late would explain why they started with Aiden.. switching him out was sort of one of those things...

The evolution of tonight's format must have been something else. It's neat if Vince really did turn things over for this one since one could think that the October NXT ratings experience could have been used as an excuse by Vince to not turn things over to Hunter sooner.

14 minutes ago, Peck said:

I thought similar at first but then I took it as McAfee being the NXT guy to "invade" the broadcast booth similar to how the NXT wrestlers invaded the show. I guess to them he was a better choice than Mauro or Nigel, although I would have preferred Nigel.

News about the NXT charter makes it clearer what happened. 

Edit: no cobra, I don’t have you on ignore... 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Brock quitting Smackdown as champ to go after Rey was interesting. Assuming this keeps and the titles officially switch I'm honestly a bit disappointing. Was hoping the Fiend brand of weirdness would mostly stay on Raw.

Bayley/Nikki was solid. Loved the attack from Shayna post match.

Dug Sami getting his ass handed to him by Lee and Riddle after mouthing off.

The Ciampa/Miz segment was pretty solid and the subsequent match was good.

Bianca pulling a Mark Henry and tossing poor Carmella off into the ether was awesome. I felt sorry for poor Renee after Sonya was thrown into her during the tag match.

Cole/Bryan was easily the best singles match Cole has ever had in WWE. Bryan was on fire and it was nice seeing someone cut down Cole's excessive tendencies.

The speech at from HHH was fine. I only wish enemies in NXT were kept further apart.

Starting the build to SS early was a smart way to cover up for the plane fuck up. I assume we would have gotten some version of this eventually though probably not for another week or two. Will be interesting to see how the feud plays out since this is a three way brand fight this year. Really hope it doesn't screw with NXT too much.

2 minutes ago, Bigbosseli said:

I was at the show with my twin brother toinght. 

Hearing little kids scream " no one will survive " warms my blackheart.

I thought that was coming up. Wasn't it your birthdays? If so, happy returns.

if this brand feud was being booked by somebody who watched too much 80s wrestling, there'd be a night where the Smackdown guys went after NXT ending with somebody being buried under the FOX Network flag because brand supremacyyyyy and shit that people probably don't give a fuck about.

Another thing that I think was helpful tonight, they kept some NXT guys off the show tonight, so if they insert somebody else into the feud, they haven't blown the wad on someone like Walter getting involved.

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I wasn't paying real close attention, but was there a reason Riddle and Lee beat up Sami, besides him just being a heel? 

Survivor Series is NXT vs. RAW vs. SD and the NXT guys are united and targeting the other brands.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I wasn't paying real close attention, but was there a reason Riddle and Lee beat up Sami, besides him just being a heel? 

Sami was talking shit about taking out the next NXT guy he saw.

• Like 1

extra fantasy booking thought: there shouldn't be a successful invasion of Full Sail next Wednesday. Full Sail should be NXT's fort, where the first and second attempts to invade are repelled by the numbers advantage held by the NXT guys. Then the NXT before Survivor Series, there should be a successful invasion and brawl. Let it simmer a little before falling back into 50/50 booking

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I thought that was coming up. Wasn't it your birthdays? If so, happy returns.

Yes, Thank you! It's on the 15th, so I got nice tickets 18 rows up, center ring, facing the camera. I wore my costume #cowboyshit and it was a good show despite card subject to change.  

Daniel Bryan really is the best, it was like when I saw Peyton Manning play against the Bills, just streets ahead.

• Like 3