DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2019

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, alstein said:

AEW might have a problem- people are getting mad at Jericho for embracing Trump Jr today on his podcast, which might also bring out some of the things Hager said recently that were rather bigoted (he went on a huge anti-LGBT spiel recently)

Given the nature/age of AEW's fanbase, they might get a real backlash or some nasty chants tomorrow.

Nobody's going to do anything but tweet their displeasure. They have literally nothing to worry about except hurt feelings.

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Nobody's going to do anything but tweet their displeasure. They have literally nothing to worry about except hurt feelings.

That's exactly it. Tony and AEW aren't going to do anything about it either, nor should they. It's a very dark path to go down when you start punishing wrestlers based on who they talk to.

I'm also not going to listen to the podcast because I don't listen to any of Jericho's non-wrestling related episodes, but if I were to make a guess, it's probably nowhere near as crazy or offensive as some of his other episodes where he's basically bootleg Art Bell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I guess we aren't talking about AEW Dark.

Good.

Cause the in ring sucked.

EDIT: Here's my thoughts:

Spears’ kind of comes off as a hodgepodge of elements at the same time and its less than the whole of the parts.  Between the ten bit and the chairman bit and having Tully there, it feels like he’s grasping for anything to hold onto as a character hook.  Meanwhile, Nakasawa just seems like he’s desperate to work this silly gimmick and it’s amazing to me that anyone wanting to be taken seriously would take these pratfalls. Spears’ career must have flashed before his eyes when Nakazawa went for the underwear claw.  I don’t think he could have come from that. 

The tag match was really bad booking. If Mercedes has the talent to make some moves, the worst thing they could is put her in this tag match where she’s immediately just another woman on the roster.  Gibbs and Allie should both be on enhancement duty instead of winning what should be a showcase for the other people.  They’d have been better off splitting the match into two singles with half the time each so someone could build momentum and put the winners in a match next week.  This just seems instantly forgettable except for the tons of bad editing.

The main event tag was more compatitant than the women’s match but still bad.  This is an example of when bookers should tell people to put their blades away.  No reason for Havok to do that in an undercard tag match.  It’s not going to do anything but make the blading in the main event look less impressive.  You can add the avalanche package piledriver to that discussion. If anyone doesn’t need to take a super death move to drop a fall, it damn well better be Stunt.  If you can’t shut down that character with a sudden violent move, I have no use for you.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 3

Am I being super rude if I say that Bea Priestley is giving me kind of a Dick Tracy villain vibe in that photo? I feel like an asshole bringing it up, but I can't shake it.

Or alternatively, maybe Patty Mullen in Frankenhooker? I don't think that is much nicer, but it's all I can see with her glowering at me like that.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2/3 of AEW Dark was not good this week. Matches I didn't care about, wrestlers I didn't care about, but the main event was alright and a couple of the promos were fine. 

Dirty J is right in that we've been spoiled by past episodes. It was perfectly fine to have on one monitor while I played Magic Arena on my other monitor.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

As somebody who is yet to watch this week’s dark is there any reason not to make this my first missed episode?  The line up looks awful.

MJF's commentary made it worth watching for me even if the matches weren't the best.

• Like 3

Jeez, I was thinking about some meet and greets for Starrcast but holy shit the prices are expensive. If not for buying a house I'd be more likely to consider. But I may be best off doing one day of the convention and that's about it. 

1 hour ago, OctopusCinema said:

I think this fits in this thread.

So AEW could do an Elite vs Inner Circle War Games Match, just with a new name?

The original Wargames on 7/4/87 was called The Match Beyond once all ten were in the cage...that's when the match really began

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember the Ian vs Axl Rotten feud, where in between all the extreme hardcore stips they did things like a strap match or a hair vs hair? That was because there would be a big two PPV the same weekend, with a strap match, or a hair vs hair. ECW was doing an "anything you can do I can do better" concept.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Remember the Ian vs Axl Rotten feud, where in between all the extreme hardcore stips they did things like a strap match or a hair vs hair? That was because there would be a big two PPV the same weekend, with a strap match, or a hair vs hair. ECW was doing an "anything you can do I can do better" concept.

Im huge into AEW, but I was not in love with Cody's announcement last night that

He won't challenge for the title again if he loses to Jericho on Saturday. NWA just ran this same angle with Tim Storm and Nick Aldis a week ago on Powerrr and it makes me think of your example

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath